Menu

Best ideas for keeping cat smell out of home

Last kitten question, I promise. My husband has said that if he comes home from work and notices our house smelling like cat one time, the cats will have to go outside. So, what are your best tips and tricks for keeping the smell away?

I've always wanted one of those automatic machines that clean the cat litter every time they go. That's the only way I can think of to get rid of the smell completely.

We have two Siamese and all I have to do is look at the litter box and they run inside of it! Then after I shoo them out and I'm done cleaning it, they go right back in. :glare:

Oh well, they know I love them and I'm just going to have to deal with it. Maybe your hubby will fall in love with them eventually?

We scoop daily and change twice a week. We disinfect the litterbox with bleach every few weeks too, when changing it. Having ours away from the main areas of the house helps too.

I wonder if sprinkling baking soda in the box between scoops would help too, though maybe baking soda is irritating to cat paws and skin, I don't know.

a) Keep the litterbox scooped regularly and cleaned periodically with something antibacterial.

b) Advice from my vet: feed your cats decent quality food. I believe it's the same for dogs as well, in addition to whether or not you feed your pets with wet or dry food - generally speaking, dogs and cats that are fed with wet food or raw meat will smell a lot more than those who are on a complete/dry food diet. To be honest we've had some visitors who actually didn't realise we have pets at all (and our home is your average British rabbit hutch) because there's no obvious, lingering animal smell.

HTH

Edited by Hedgehog

One litterbox per cat, and scooped twice daily.

Pouring in a little baking soda after scooping helps too.

Completely change litter every 2 weeks, and scrub out litterbox at the same time.

Yes, it seems extreme, and yes, it is a huge pain, but it does work.

By the way, our vet says one litterbox per cat is the absolute minimum.

He recommends one per cat plus one extra if possible. :blink:

Agree with all that's been said. Definitely scoop an hour or so before your husband gets home. Some cats wait for the litter box to be cleaned before going, so that will give kitty a chance to go, and you a chance to clean it again. If the litter box has a smell after being scooped, then it's probably time to empty the litter and wash it well.