Menu

Do you ever worry about some parents?

This is just my opinion, but I sure worry for this family. My dh works with a man who has 2 young (4 and 6) children. His wife is always asking her dh to take them to the doctor for something...like every few weeks, all year long. Tons of antibiotics and a strange new diagnosis every time. Like the time they took the son to a child psychologist because he was 'bragging' about using the potty in public. Or the next time when they insisted that he had something wrong because he wasn't reading, so they took him back for autism testing. The latest go-round of illness was today. The co-worker called to say he would be in at noon, (this is nothing new ;)), after their son's doctor appointment. He comes back with this report: According to the doctor, since the child (4) is wetting his bed once a week, and having ear infections, he must be suffering from sleep apnea. Therefore, he is going to remove his (uninfected) tonsils so that he can sleep uninterrupted. :confused: This diagnosis may be common, I really don't know, but the parents never question, never investigate. The poor baby. Just makes me feel sad because it seems like they are wanting to find things wrong with him. The older sister, normally *at the top* of her 1st grade class ;), failed her spelling test last week, and they are taking her in for autism testing later this week. Strange. I worry about them.

He comes back with this report: According to the doctor, since the child (4) is wetting his bed once a week, and having ear infections, he must be suffering from sleep apnea. Therefore, he is going to remove his (uninfected) tonsils so that he can sleep uninterrupted. :confused:

That was the diagnosis for my 4 year old who wakes up wet every morning. Plus, she snores. Her ped referred us to the local Children's Hospital, though, and after seeing an ENT and then the Pulmonologist (who looked at me as if I were nuts for coming in with this minor complaint and I kept saying, "It was my pediatrician, it wa my pediatrician") who wanted to do a sleep study. I canceled the sleep study. Anyhow, my point is...;) they were very slow to recommend a tonsilectomy. Actually, the ped wanted to remove her adenoids, but... she's fine otherwise. I said, "no". That's crazy.

Yes, this. I was called hysterical and obsessive and a hypochondriac by our (former) pediatrician. I took ds in over and over again knowing something was wrong, though I had no idea what other than I thought he couldn't see well.

And then we found out that I was correct. Ds was blind (cataracts) and the delay in the diagnosis, caused by the ped. not taking me seriously, resulted in brain damage to my son. He COULD have had nearly perfect vision if they had listened to me the first time I took him in to the ped.

So, no. I think if a parent thinks that something is wrong, they need to pursue a diagnosis, no matter what that means.

Yes, this. I was called hysterical and obsessive and a hypochondriac by our (former) pediatrician. I took ds in over and over again knowing something was wrong, though I had no idea what other than I thought he couldn't see well.

And then we found out that I was correct. Ds was blind (cataracts) and the delay in the diagnosis, caused by the ped. not taking me seriously, resulted in brain damage to my son. He COULD have had nearly perfect vision if they had listened to me the first time I took him in to the ped.

So, no. I think if a parent thinks that something is wrong, they need to pursue a diagnosis, no matter what that means.

:grouphug: I am so sorry. That is just terrible.

I used to have a friend like this. I worried constantly about her kids b/c there was always something wrong with them and they were always on antibiotics. The opening in every conversation I had with her was about how either herself or her girls were at the Dr. and on a new medication. Her parenting practices scared me. She also gave them Benadryl every night because she didn't want to impose a bedtime on them. They'd eventually fall asleep somewhere, on the floor usually, and she'd carry them to bed. It was disturbing to me to say the least. I finally decided I had to distance myself from her b/c it bothered me so much.

I used to have a friend like this. I worried constantly about her kids b/c there was always something wrong with them and they were always on antibiotics...

Yes, that's what it seems like. They are always on antibiotics. The mom and dad are always going to the same doctor, too. Last week the man was taking otc medications in addition to the prescriptions he had been given, PLUS he was taking some of his wife's medications, too! Frightening. It's like a competition to see who is the sickest...but the children are the ones who are paying.

Yes, that's what it seems like. They are always on antibiotics. The mom and dad are always going to the same doctor, too. Last week the man was taking otc medications in addition to the prescriptions he had been given, PLUS he was taking some of his wife's medications, too! Frightening. It's like a competition to see who is the sickest...but the children are the ones who are paying.

Sounds like people who want to get high but want it blessed by a white coat, so it isn't getting high, but being "sick." :001_huh:

Therefore, he is going to remove his (uninfected) tonsils so that he can sleep uninterrupted.

Actually my DS did have his tonsils and adenoids out for this reason. But he wasn't wetting the bed. He was displaying sleep apnea (snoring with long pauses) and also his tonsils were HUGE.

Even then, we put off the surgery for a short bit while we tried other methods. The story of these children is very sad.