Menu

Quickly - would you let your son give a friend a Webkinz for his 10th bday?

We enjoy Webkinz here, so when his friend invited him to a birthday party we thought it would be a nice gift. Well here it is, 1.5 hours before the party and I'm suddenly afraid that the other boys will laugh and embarrass my son for giving a stuffed animal as a gift.

The birthday boy is not sophisticated and would enjoy the Webkinz, but some of the other kids who will be there are probably more snobby. I told DS this morning that maybe we should find another gift and he said, "If they think it's dumb, that's their problem." He is totally right, and yet, I don't want him to be made fun of and be stuck at a bowling alley with kids who think he's a baby. These other kids really don't know him, and with his speech impediment he already has a strike against him.

What would you do? Time is running out to get something else!

Tell the momwhen you get there and if she thinks there will be a problem, the friend can open the gift from your child later when no one is around.

ETA: my 9yo got 2 webkinz for his birthday from sis and g'ma and had no problems opening them in front of his friends nor did his friends make a fuss over him recieving stuffed animals. Because of the online factor webkinz are perceived differently from regular stuffed animals.

I would definitely give him something else, like a ToysRUs gift card, and let your ds give him the Webkinz when they are on their own (one on one playdate, etc.)

I am in a similar situation, dd10's male cousin just had his 10th birthday, and while I'm sure he would have enjoyed a Webkinz (or more specifically, the online games that go with it), I would not have embarrassed him (the birthday boy) by having my dd give it to him in front of all his (male) ps friends.

In your case, since the boys present will know the birthday boy but not your son, you could be setting him up to not only be picked on by the other kids, but put his friend in the awkward position of wanting to be polite to your son, but caving to the mob mentality so as not to be ridiculed himself, and therefore shunning/downplaying/even making fun of the gift to save face.

No sense in putting either one of them through that. Unfortunate, but boys (at least ps boys) will be boys :tongue_smilie:.

he said, "If they think it's dumb, that's their problem."

smart kid you've got there. :D

honestly? i'd let him give his present - you said the birthday boy would enjoy it and your son has a great attitude about it. i would think that the parents there would stop any teasing if it happened - but really, birthday party at a bowling alley? the kids are gonna be so wound up & crazy that i doubt most of them will even notice who gave what. ;)

as long as it's not the pink poodle. :laugh:

Ah, thank you! I was able to find an extra unopened Blokus Duo game in our random gift box and we will give that to him. DS is okay with that because he loves Blokus :)

I hate admitting how much pressure there is for boys to man up and not be "babies." SIGH. I am addicted to Color Storm (webkinz game) so I definitely don't think it's babyish but I know little boys may think differently.

smart kid you've got there. :D

honestly? i'd let him give his present - you said the birthday boy would enjoy it and your son has a great attitude about it. i would think that the parents there would stop any teasing if it happened - but really, birthday party at a bowling alley? the kids are gonna be so wound up & crazy that i doubt most of them will even notice who gave what. ;)

as long as it's not the pink poodle. :laugh:

:iagree: (and my daughter at 10 still loves Webkinz too btw and would not be embarrassed to give or receive one).