Menu

I want to kill my sewing machine!!!!

I am not the greatest seamstress, but I can I can use a sewing machine for the basics.

Last night I was trying to sew a couple pieces of fleec together and it was a nightmare!!!

This is a new machine for me and I don't know how to adjust the tension, and it didn't come with a manual!!!

I have the Brother XL 3500.

I'm off to download the manual, but all I want to do is sew a straight seem...Uggggghhhh....

How frustrating! One thing that I've noticed is that thread really does make a difference. So after downloading the manual and clearing out any little bits of fabric dust, use good quality thread, if you aren't already. If that doesn't work, the machine is defective and you should take it back :)

Experienced seamtress here...You need to download that manual. There could be a dozen things that went wrong last night. Since it didn't come with a manual, I assume the machine is not new, but new to you. Have you had it serviced? After servicing the machine, find some inexpensive throw away cotton quilting fabric. Download that manual and learn how to use the machine. Make notes in the margins of your manual, ect. Get it to sew on that cotton fabric. If it doesn't work, go back to your service person....and repeat until you get it right. Then and only then use some leftover fleece and start working your tensions to sew on that weight of fabric. Finally, put your project on the table and sew for success.

Experienced seamtress here...You need to download that manual. There could be a dozen things that went wrong last night. Since it didn't come with a manual, I assume the machine is not new, but new to you. Have you had it serviced? After servicing the machine, find some inexpensive throw away cotton quilting fabric. Download that manual and learn how to use the machine. Make notes in the margins of your manual, ect. Get it to sew on that cotton fabric. If it doesn't work, go back to your service person....and repeat until you get it right. Then and only then use some leftover fleece and start working your tensions to sew on that weight of fabric. Finally, put your project on the table and sew for success.

I have to run right now, but I got it downloaded...so I will look at it tonight. I used it on cotton last week and it was fine, the fleece thing just thru me a bit.

Thanks! I will be a good student tonight!

You might want to try your setting for stretch fabric. I think those stitches have more "give" and might work better with fleece. I've sewn fleece before but honestly can't remember if I did this or just used the longest stitch length on the regular setting. Give both of these a try on some scrap fleece and see how it goes. I'm not an experienced seamstress so take this advice for what it's worth. :D

Cinder

I don't find that not having just the right tension is such a huge problem, so my thought is if it is that bad, your machine could be threaded improperly, or you could have wound the bobbin incorrectly. The tiniest little error in either will make a huge mess. Ask me how I know. ;)

Also, if you bought replacement bobbins, you could have purchased the wrong type. That will also lead to a snarled mess.

Terri

Also, a new needle can work wonders.

I agree with the suggestion to check the bobbin (right kind, wound correctly and not super-full), and to try using quilting cotton at first. I also agree with finding the manual - checking your threading can help a lot. Also be sure your thread is running freely and not caught on something somewhere. And ditto the quality thread suggestion.

PLEASE go to sewingmamas.com and ask for help. It's a group of, well, sewing mamas. It's been run by a few friends of mine and has changed hands a couple of times. Real people and probably someone who can help you out tremendously. Tell them I sent you!

Another thing to check is to make absolutely sure your thread is threaded properly through all the little hooks and whirlibobs and doodlydoos. (Oh, I see Kitten18 just mentioned this, so I'll second it).

I am not an expert by any means, unfortunately. My mother tried to teach me when she was alive and I refused to learn. Now I'm wishing I had! It helps to have someone show you. Luckily my SIL helped me get started and now I can usually mess around a few times and figure it out.

I *love* my Brother, it is the nicest sewing machine I've ever used. Makes beautiful stitches, and the tension is always great. I would absolutely buy another one, but I must admit that as mine does embroidery it was one of their more pricey machines at the time so maybe there is a difference there.

If that kind of thing happens, I'd personally:

Have a cup of tea

Unthread fully, take bobbin out, remove needle.

Is it a manual tension? Check that it's at "neutral"

Check bobbin looks threaded properly.

Clean machine

Insert needle, rethread from scratch

Try the stitching again on something cotton to see if it is working nicely or of it is the fabric. Try loosening the tension, and a longer stitch.

Sometimes recalcitrant fabrics can be tamed with starch, but you'll obviously have to wash it afterward.

Also, check out Patternreview.com - they have some really helpful discussion groups there.

Min

Also, check out Patternreview.com - they have some really helpful discussion groups there.

PatternReview is super-helpful. Any time I buy a pattern, I look it up on PR. Chances are several people have sewn it before, and I get all kinds of tips that make my project more successful. People talk abut whether certain pieces are bigger or smaller than expected, whether certain steps can be done in a better way, whether the fabric they chose worked well or not, etc. It gets you to where you'd be if you had already made the pattern up a few times and knew the modifications to make already.