Menu

your favorite resources for teaching about slavery?

creekmom

Here are some materials that we used--most of them are for the period directly before the Civil War.

Websites:

Also, PBS' History of US; especially

· Webisode 4, Segments 5-7

· Webisode 5, Segment 1

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/historyofus/index.html

DVDs:

• America's Journey Through Slavery
  • Africans in America “Brotherly Loveâ€â€”PBS
  • Africans in America: “ The Terrible Tranformationâ€â€”PBS

Books

The Underground Railroad for Kids—Carson,Mary Kay

· African Americans in the Colonies—Jean Kinney Williams

· Strength of These Arms: Life in the Slave Quarters—Raymond Bial

· In Time of the Drums—Kim Sieglson

· Hard Labor: The First African Americans—Patricia McKissack

· On My Journey Now: Looking at African-American History Through the Spirituals—Nikki Giovanni

All Times, All Peoples: A World History of Slavery by Milton Meltzer

This sounds good there are no reviews on amazon though. We will not be studying slavery for quite some time but I'd also like to know additional resources for the history of slavery across the world as it seems people tend to focus only on american history of slavery. I'd also like to know about materials that deal with the financial aspects of slavery, the financial aspects of the civil war, etc. I think often these things are not discussed enough and only the emotional aspects of slavery are portrayed.

What type of slavery do you want to learn about? Ancient? Medieval? Early Modern? Modern (which is trickier because it has changed and become more covert in the modern world)? World-wide? Specific countries? Or are you talking just about slavery in America?

Sorry, I should have been more specific. My kids are learning about slavery in America.

I presume you mean historically. Sigh. Just heard a report of a woman who had been enslaved by her "employer" recently; it included an interview with an agent from USCIS about it, and how he works to educate other agents about the topic. See more here.

There is one 3 star rating of the Meltzer book on librarything, for whatever that's worth.

There are quite a few "time travel" sorts of books involving slavery. There are also autobiographical accounts of real people who were enslaved. I read part of one when I was younger, but the WPA compiler unfortunately transcribed them in "dialect" which I found so irritating / distracting that I didn't get far. A few have recently been located; here's one:

A Slave No More

Two Men Who Escaped to Freedom, Including Their Own Narratives of Emancipation

David W. Blight

320 pages

http://www.harcourtbooks.com/SlaveNoMore/read_an_excerpt.asp

Four years ago when my school aged kids were 1st, 3rd, and 5th, we read Amos Fortune, Free Man. Fabulous book about slavery and remains my favorite.

:iagree: It's a great book! My son is currently reading it. My daughter is reading F is For Freedom. Thank you all for so many great suggestions!

We also like Scott O'Dell's My Name is not Angelica.

Others:

If you Lived When there was Slavery in America

The Middle Passage is a very strong picture book with no words (there's a lengthy intro to the book). It is all in black and white sketches. You would need to preview it to decide about using it. I believe Feelings is the author's name.

We've been reading various books of southern tales that incorporate stories that were brought to this country by slaves and/or developed out of slavery. If you're interested in any of those, I'm happy to provide titles.

The Village that Vanished is a good picture book about how African groups attempted to avoid enslavement (Grifalconi).

http://members.authorsguild.net/agrifalconi/the_village_that_vanished_30864.htm

Those are a few I can think of off the top of my head....

The Middle Passage is a very strong picture book with no words (there's a lengthy intro to the book). It is all in black and white sketches. You would need to preview it to decide about using it. I believe Feelings is the author's name.

Oh thanks, I didn't know about this, and I'm a big fan of Tom Feelings' art. It's apparently listed as a picture book for adults. I will check it out.

If you are anywhere in the south and can drive north to Cincinnati it is worth it! We are in TN so it is a days drive for us. The ultimate field trip about slavery is to drive up while discussing the underground railroad and how people had to travel (walking this distance) at night. Then once they reach the river they were able to obtain freedom. Just to see the river and think about the people to found a new life there is just amazing. Cincinnati is full of museums too!