Menu

Have to share: observation skills - boys vs. girls

I trimmed my hair today.

The first moment my 2yo dd saw me, she oohed and said, "Oh Mama, you beautiful! You look like princess!" :001_smile: Made me smile.

Several hours later when my dh came home, I asked if he liked my hair and my 13yo ds pipes up, "Oh, I thought you looked a little different!" :glare:

Too funny! I just had to share.

My friend had hair all the way down her back. Long, beautiful hair. A long time ago, when she was pregnant with her first baby, we invited her and her dh over to dinner. He drove home from work, picked her up, drove about 10 miles to get to our house through city traffic and knocked on our door.

I opened the door and exclaimed, " Your hair! You've cut it ALL OFF! You look so cute!"

Her dh looks at her and says, "I thought something was different!"

In the 12 years we've been friends since then, he has NEVER lived that down.

My friend had hair all the way down her back. Long, beautiful hair. A long time ago, when she was pregnant with her first baby, we invited her and her dh over to dinner. He drove home from work, picked her up, drove about 10 miles to get to our house through city traffic and knocked on our door.

I opened the door and exclaimed, " Your hair! You've cut it ALL OFF! You look so cute!"

Her dh looks at her and says, "I thought something was different!"

In the 12 years we've been friends since then, he has NEVER lived that down.

Men look differently at things.

As to the opposite sex, many (not all but many) put a female in one one of two categories: attractive or not. The specifics of why someone is in said category are less important.

If hair looks good with cut A or cut B and still remains in the attractive category, please don't ask us the difference.

As to shoes, Ladies, men do NOT notice. Provided you are not wearing combat boots or knee high red leather boots with 6 inch heels, most of us will not notice. When you spend $300 on a pair of shoes you are doing it for you, and the other women who will notice, not men. That is fine, no issue, just don't ask us what we thought of the shoes you wore at dinner last week. You are taxing us and we will generally respond with something to the effect of "They were very nice" while being unable to recall if you were actually wearing shoes never mind what type.

The same goes for the dress you had on the first time we met. If we get the color right you must give us high marks. The only exception being if you were wearing the sartorial equivalent of the combat boots/red leather boots example. Obviously/hopefully you were in the attractive category but that is about it. Many of us have very short term memories for that type of thing.

Now if you want to talk about the lines on that '65 vette we saw last month or the finish on the Colt .45 at the gun store.......then

Edited by pqr

This happens to me all of the time with my friends and brothers and dad. They have no clue what is new unless I make a big show about it or I ask them about it. I got my hair trimmed 3 inches and got a new pair of glasses, not one of them could tell me what was different! Lol, but all of my girl friends and mom could tell me what was!:lol:

Last year my then-3-year-old daughter noticed one day that I used brown eyeliner instead of my usual black.

She continues to wow me with her powers of observation about my beauty and hygiene minutiae! She and my son were at the store picking up some shampoo for me and they got into a big of an argument. He knew the brand and type I wanted, but they had changed the packaging and she was so sure he was buying the wrong thing!

Men look differently at things.

That is fine, no issue, just don't ask us what we thought of the shoes you wore at dinner last week. ..

The same goes for the dress you had on the first time we met. If we get the color right you must give us high marks. ..

Now if you want to talk about the lines on that '65 vette we saw last month or the finish on the Colt .45 at the gun store.......then

When dh and I were dating, I owned a peach cable sweater that I loved and wore all. the. time. Our first married Christmas together~guess what he got me? The same sweater! Argh...he claimed he'd never seen it on me before :glare:

(Yes, I sulked. Yes, I've grown up since then :lol:)

Otoh, he can tell you what he's golfed on every hole at every course he's golfed at for the past 23 years. What a gift :rolleyes: