Menu

Is this possible? (sewing question)

I want to have a skirt of the month club. I'd like to have it Jan, Feb, March, April, and May. Ideally, the participants (myself included) would at least be able use her own machine, manage basic stitches, and follow directions. We'd have one woman, a great seamstress and patient teacher, who could teach us to make a single skirt pattern and skirt in one long Saturday. The skirts would be simple straight, a-line, and peasant styles. We'd learn one style in Jan, one in Feb, one in March, and then repeat the styles with more complex fabrics or techniques or possible make the first round of patterns for the girls and the second for the moms.

My thoughts are that if you can sew one straight skirt pattern, you could make a knee-length and mid-calf skirt, at least, and even a long one especially after we learn to sew with the fancier fabrics. Ditto with a-line. Well, there is just so much that can be done with a peasant style skirt but my girl likes them sooooo much, we'd just have to.

Even if I just mastered one single skirt style, I'd still be able to sew a nice variety of skirts: denim long, denim knee, khaki in both, something dressy, some in patterns, a pretty fancy skirt to go with a sweater or something for Easter. Stuff like that.

So, finally, my question: is it possible to learn to make a pattern and cut out and sew a skirt? I've seen some websites for building skirt patterns and it looks to this lay person as if it could be done. But what do I know?

Would it be better to make it a weekend? I'd rather a Saturday but would do Saturday/Sunday if I had to.

I just don't know if what I'm asking is possible. Is it?

Personally, I would use one of the many free skirt patterns.

I don't make my own patterns, but I do adjust pre-made patterns. The time you need will really be based on how simple the skirt will be. If you are just doing an elastic waistband, it would extremely easy, but if you are making a fitted waistband, it will take a bit more work. If you need darts a little more planning would be involved.

If you really want to make your own, I would suggest that you spend the first session making the pattern. You will need to take measurements and draw the pattern. You could spend the remaining time planning the skirts that you will make--length, fabric, etc.

Have I got a book for you..

See if your library has Sew What Skirts. The book features simple designs that you can do without patterns.

As far as a tailored skirt goes, I think that you will want to invest in a basic pattern and have your experienced seamstress lead you through a proper fitting. Many woman do not fit the waist/hip measures of a given size precisely, so learning to tailor your pattern is a valuable skill.

Yes, it is possible to make a pattern and sew a skirt. It's basically a matter of learning how to make good measurements, to lay things out on a grid, to remember things like seam allowances etc.

If you wanted to get fancier you might think about things like having lined skirts at some point. (It saves having to use a slip:))

Have I got a book for you..

See if your library has Sew What Skirts. The book features simple designs that you can do without patterns.

As far as a tailored skirt goes, I think that you will want to invest in a basic pattern and have your experienced seamstress lead you through a proper fitting. Many woman do not fit the waist/hip measures of a given size precisely, so learning to tailor your pattern is a valuable skill.

:iagree: I have this book and it would be really helpful.

I think you could graduate to making your own pattern but I would start with something like Simplicity 2576 (A-line with elastic waist) or Simplicity 4206 (tiered skirt with elastic waist). These are designed to teach novice sewers to sew a basic skirt with really clear directions. The advantage of having these is that the participant has something to which she can refer when she sews the next skirt independently.

So, finally, my question: is it possible to learn to make a pattern and cut out and sew a skirt? I've seen some websites for building skirt patterns and it looks to this lay person as if it could be done. But what do I know?

Yes you can. I am not terribly good at sewing and still haven't figured out how to take measurements properly, but I have made tunics, a fitted dress and various other items of garb without using a professionally made pattern. For simple things, I can work from a picture of a pattern. For trickier things, I can work from a picture of the pattern and written instructions. Make a mock up out of muslin and you'll learn how to put it together and be able to tweak in any way you need. Then you can use that as your pattern to cut out your pretty stuff.

I wish I was able to attend your skirt parties! I can't wait until I'm able to get some sewing mentoring. Until then, I'm bumbllng along and learning. I'm sure there are better ways of doing what I do, which I would like to know, but on the other hand, I can do certain things because no one has told me I can't do it that way :) I think learning to make your own patterns is better than using a commercially bought one. It's a much deeper educational experience. It's like learning the why of maths rather than just plugging numbers. Except we're only talking about skirts so the homeschool police won't come after you if you want to use a commercial pattern. :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

I would join your skirt of the month club. I bought a pattern to make a tailored skirt with darts and zipper. It was too small! And I followed the measurements. I have two contemporary patterns and lots of fabric.

I don't like wearing elastic waistband skirts, I'm too clumsy sometimes and end up having it yanked out or pulled slightly down when I step on it or catch it on something. But I would still make one for myself.

Last winter I made long, velvet-type skirts, elastic waistband, for 8 and 9 year old daughters. Added pockets and lace. It really was easy, and I'm not a genius when it comes to sewing. A bit of trial and error.

So, who is the genius seamstress? :001_smile: