Menu

Fashionistas ~ I Need a Lovely Bag!

I'm on the lookout for a flattering and nice bag. My very favorite and only really decent bag has ripped. I usually get my bags from Coldwater Creek. But it seems that online anyway, they're a bit too wintery and fall-ish (obviously given the time of year ;)). But even their outlet is a bit dull. Amazon is overwhelming me, but I know they have gorgeous bags. I would love a beautiful Dooney and Bourke. They're very pricey though. However, I am willing to pay for a gorgeous one.

I'm petite - 5' 2" and a bit large on the upper body area, but more like an hourglass ...

I would love cream/light brown/tan leather, although I'm also willing to be a bit more adventurous than usual and choose a different color.

Maybe I should just wait till we're in the U.S and head to Ross. Ross has great bags apparently at wonderful prices.

The following are tips that I have found:

Try for four purses - to rotate every season (since we have one season here, that doesn't apply to me)

They don't all have to be expensive. I've seen many lovely bags at Ross, and you can also look out for sales elsewhere.

Autumn - Nine West bag

Winter - brown leather bag with lots of detailing

Summer - cream leather

I can't remember what they said about spring ... but you get the idea.

Leather is the best choice for year-round use.

Warm weather alternatives include a neutral-colored canvas or straw bag, both of which work well with a variety of shoe colors.

The larger the purse the higher the frump potential!. Once our children get older and the days of carrying lots of stuff start to ease up somewhat, we can start carrying smaller purses.

marc-by-marc-jacobs-nylon-tote1.jpg

While matching handbag to shoe color is no longer a "do-or-die" rule, they should be in the same family of colors (rust handbag and brown shoes, or gray handbag and black shoes, for example) and the handbag should harmonize with the colors of your outfit.

Start with proportion. Proportion, proportion, proportion. First, decide what type purse you should carry for your body type.

The general rule is that large bags go with large bodies, while small bags go with small bodies.

PLUS SIZE

Plus size girls should stay away from bags that are too small; bags that are too small will only make them look bigger.

They should avoid shoulder bags, but instead go for bags that are just a tad wider.

SHORT AND SLIGHT IN BUILD

Pick a bag that is small and holds close to the body.

Never get a big purse because it will drown you and make you appear lost beside it.

TALL AND THIN

If you are the type that is tall and thin, a medium-sized bag will work best for you.

In choosing a shoulder bag, though, pick something that fits nice and close under your arm and against your waist. Bags like that will create the illusion of curves on your lean body and will draw the eyes to your face.

BIG LOWER BODY

Ladies with big hips will want to draw the eyes to the face and away from their lower bodies as well.

If you have a big behind and you carry a big purse that sits at b*tt level then you'll look like you have an even bigger behind.

The kind of bags that will do that trick for them are shoulder bags that hang just above the hips.

BIG UPPER BODY/CHEST AREA

Those with top-heavy figures will want to draw attention to their legs instead of to their upper bodies.

Messenger bags, bags that have long straps or perhaps a handbag will do that for them.

The size of the bag that will work best for top-heavy ladies is the slightly large one.

If you have a big b*st and you carry a short shoulder bag that hits at the b*st line then your b*st is going to look even bigger.

PERFECT HOURGLASS FIGURE

Any kind of bag is perfect for you.

However, remember that the rules on proportion still apply even to ladies with the perfect curves.

Do not get a bag that is too large or too small for your body.

http://handbags.lovetoknow.com/Slide...erfect_Purse~0

When choosing a bag, ask yourself:

• Is it proportional to you?
  • Does it hit your body in the right place?
  • Is it the right size?
  • Does it have the compartments you need?
  • Will it fit the wallet you need to carry?

If the answer to these questions is, "Yes", now you have your bag. Congratulations!

If the answer is "No" to ALL the questions, go home or go to another store and keep shopping.

So, if you ladies have a spare moment and spot any nice bags online, I would so appreciate it ... :grouphug:

I just bought this bag a few weeks ago and I L.O.V.E. it. It's big enough to carry my calendar and all other necessities, but not 'frumpy'. I got it at Dillards on clearance - so you could probably find a better deal somewhere. It also comes in tan and a pink color. I thought blue would bridge summer/winter better though.

Enjoy! I love purse shopping.

I bought my first Dooney and Bourke bag and I *LOVE* it. I got the black with the bright DB all over it. It will match EVERYTHING because it has practically every color in it. It could be used year round, really, but I plan to get the same bag in white for the summer. Don't know if they make it in brown.

I prefer a smaller bag with a long shoulder strap now. I don't like large bags because they end up being junk collectors. I've used an organizer type bag (Fossil) for several years now and LOVE them. Before I used a purse to carry a wallet. It was silly! Now I have my dollar bills behind my checks in my checkbook, a change purse, and the other things I really want to carry with me. NO heavy wallet. I have my credit cards in a zipped side pocket.

I also have a brown Fossil bag with colorful decorations. I'm all about color. I love bold, bright colors.

I am considered a plus size at this point, but I don't care what anyone says. A purse, large or small, is not going to make me look bigger. ;) Sometimes I think the recommendations and their descriptions for things are just plain silly.

The disadvantage to waiting until you are in the US is that you would have to buy another suitcase for all the purses you could find at great prices. lol We've seen some great ones at TJ Max in our travels. I think a bag with some color can be really fun.

Have you checked on Overstock.com or Ebags?

I like this woven purse, esp. as a nice purse for tropical climes. From the photos, I think it would look nice when dressed up or down. The size & shape of that one are similar to a size/shape I like. That style purse is not deep (i.e., stuff doesn't get lost down in the depths like in a tall/huge purse) & I like about a 10" drop length on the shoulder straps (fits easily & comfortably under my arm & doesn't slide off or bounce around).

If you're looking for a color other than brown or black, I think red is always a nice option. Depending on your wardrobe colors, I've seen some pretty turquoise/aqua ones &/or some pretty yellow/gold ones too.

Have fun purse shopping!

Thank you, all. :grouphug: :D

I bought my first Dooney and Bourke bag and I *LOVE* it. I got the black with the bright DB all over it. It will match EVERYTHING because it has practically every color in it. It could be used year round, really, but I plan to get the same bag in white for the summer. Don't know if they make it in brown.

I also have a brown Fossil bag with colorful decorations. I'm all about color. I love bold, bright colors.

Denise, yes, I would love a cream or even white D&B bag. I have to say that I'm not all that crazy about carrying logos around. It's just not me. But their bags are cute. Costly too. Ebay has some, so I'm looking into those. But if it's a bag that I'll have for years and years, the cost is worth it.

I also love bold and bright colors. Particularly when done like D&B where you can wear those colors with pretty much anything.

I tried to do a search for the brown Fossil bag w/decorations (sounds really nice), but couldn't come up with anything.

The disadvantage to waiting until you are in the US is that you would have to buy another suitcase for all the purses you could find at great prices. lol We've seen some great ones at TJ Max in our travels. I think a bag with some color can be really fun.

:D True. Although I am trying ever so hard to stick with one bag. ;) Just one really nice bag.

Have you checked on Overstock.com or Ebags?

I like this woven purse, esp. as a nice purse for tropical climes. From the photos, I think it would look nice when dressed up or down. The size & shape of that one are similar to a size/shape I like. That style purse is not deep (i.e., stuff doesn't get lost down in the depths like in a tall/huge purse) & I like about a 10" drop length on the shoulder straps (fits easily & comfortably under my arm & doesn't slide off or bounce around).

If you're looking for a color other than brown or black, I think red is always a nice option. Depending on your wardrobe colors, I've seen some pretty turquoise/aqua ones &/or some pretty yellow/gold ones too.

Have fun purse shopping!

Stacia, your links are perfect. The Cole Haan bag is gorgeous. I also really like the overstock link. Hadn't visited their site in the longest while.

I cannot stand deep purses and losing things.

I'm thinking of this one. Ladies, please be honest with me. Tell me if it's not nice. ;) I like that it's on sale. Maybe I could get a D&B from ebay or some other bag/s at Ross ...

Stacia, this bag has a 10-inch drop. Does the drop mean its length from shoulder down? I never thought of this. Just knew when a bag didn't feel right. Again, I'm 5' 2" - I have no idea ... I do like the Cole Haan. The CWC one I linked seems quite similar, although the Cole Haan is nicer. :)

Edited by Negin in Grenada

I'm thinking of this one. Ladies, please be honest with me. Tell me if it's not nice. ;) I like that it's on sale. Maybe I could get a D&B from ebay or some other bag/s at Ross ...

Stacia, this bag has a 10-inch drop. Does the drop mean its length from shoulder down? I never thought of this. Just knew when a bag didn't feel right. Again, I'm 5' 2" - I have no idea ... I do like the Cole Haan. The CWC one I linked seems quite similar, although the Cole Haan is nicer. :)

I think it's a great looking purse. Love the way it looks!

But, did you notice under the fabric & care section that it says, "Carrying this handbag with light colored garments should be avoided as color may transfer." So, that would make me not get it because I seem to have bad luck w/ things that fade onto each other. :tongue_smilie::lol: (I've learned my lessons on that! ;)) Of course, if you wear a lot of darker colors, no problems then! Or, maybe you never have problems w/ items fading, so it would be fine. My only other comment about woven/straw type purses -- be sure that you're comfortable w/ the material. I love the look of straw purses but hate carrying them because I find them scratchy on my skin. (And, of course, one is usually carrying straw purses when wearing sleeveless or short-sleeve tops.)

The drop is indeed the length from the top of the strap to the top of the purse -- basically how long it would hang down from the top of your shoulder. Measure the strap on a purse you have that you love & you can get an idea of an ideal drop length for yourself. I'm not tall either (around 5'3") & a 10"-11" drop seems to work well for me. (My favorite purse right now has an 11" drop.) Shorter ones (around 8"-9") don't feel good to me because it feels like it's up under my armpit & my arm has to stick out sideways, kwim? Shop around in a store or two & take a tape measure w/ you; then, when you're shopping online, you'll know what drop length you want.

It also helps to measure the approximate dimensions of a purse you have & love because it will help you decide if an online selection is right for you (vs. being too small or too big).

Sorry to yak on so much about this. I went through all this purse-buying stuff a year or two ago & spent plenty of time searching for the bag I really wanted....

The drop is indeed the length from the top of the strap to the top of the purse -- basically how long it would hang down from the top of your shoulder. Measure the strap on a purse you have that you love & you can get an idea of an ideal drop length for yourself. I'm not tall either (around 5'3") & a 10"-11" drop seems to work well for me. (My favorite purse right now has an 11" drop.) Shorter ones (around 8"-9") don't feel good to me because it feels like it's up under my armpit & my arm has to stick out sideways, kwim? Shop around in a store or two & take a tape measure w/ you; then, when you're shopping online, you'll know what drop length you want.

Stacia, no, you're not yacking at all. I really do appreciate this. :D

Most of my tops are on the darker side or prints. Plus, maybe since I won't be going for the red, but for the tan ... maybe it won't be a problem. :confused: Can't tell. Thanks for pointing that out, however. Yep, the scratchy feeling might not be fun, particularly close to my body.

What you said about drop length is really, really helpful. I'm big on that. For years, I avoided shoulder bags because I worried about drop lengths being wrong and annoying me. I like this D&B bag - but its drop length is 9.5" - guess that's a bit too short. It was my concern even before you posted. Shame, really. I love the color and style.

resize?sq=473&uid=2055605388

The best bag advice I've received is to get a bag in a big color that doesn't go with anything and therefore goes with everything, KWIM? Think electric blue, apple green, bumblebee yellow....

I guess that's what I do. I wear a lot of black and charcoal and I love bright purses. My favorites are a huge orange pleather bag from Target and a Vera Bradley Villager in Paprika. I know VB is not everyone's style. It wasn't mine either, but I somehow grew to love it! The bright colors and loud patterns make me smile.

boo, did ya try Dooney outlet?

Nope. No luck there.

The best bag advice I've received is to get a bag in a big color that doesn't go with anything and therefore goes with everything, KWIM? Think electric blue, apple green, bumblebee yellow....

So true. I have a bag from Coldwater Creek - in a gorgeous green - always get compliments on it. Only problems:

• not a shoulder bag (and that's what I'm looking for at the moment ... I think :D - and as Stacia recommended with a 10-11" drop)

• too big and bulky - looking for something smaller - where we live, I seldom need a big bag, if at all.

But I love the idea of going for COLOR.

I guess that's what I do. I wear a lot of black and charcoal and I love bright purses. My favorites are a huge orange pleather bag from Target and a Vera Bradley Villager in Paprika. I know VB is not everyone's style. It wasn't mine either, but I somehow grew to love it! The bright colors and loud patterns make me smile.

Yes, there are times when I like VB ... but I always think that it looks better on others than it would on me. Also, I would prefer soft leather or something woven, like straw - than fabric. But I am open. I should browse their site also.

Would appreciate feedback on which of these bags you think would be best, if at all:

Coldwater Creek one

PROS:

Great price

10-inch drop (perfect)

Color is fine

CONS:

Then again, color is not THE most exciting (unless if I get a red, since price is decent)

May stain fabric

This one from QVC

• I like the yellow as well as the green
  • Decent price
  • 10-inch drop (perfect)

Another one from QVC

• Like the yellow and maybe, just maybe, the silver ...
  • Like the structure - really not into very floppy bags
  • Decent price
  • 10.5-inch drop (perfect)

http://www.amazon.com/Dooney-Bourke-Handbag-Signature-Pouchette/dp/B003U8GYRC/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I36GQXLEAIICZ0&colid=3FL4QTLM7L65C

PROS:

Love the cream color and that it will go with pretty much everything (at least for spring and summer - which is perfect here)

CONS:

9.5-inch drop (possibly a little too short)

http://www.amazon.com/Dooney-Bourke-Tapestry-Bucket-Bag/dp/B000H0STW4/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3ORKD852EGJJO&colid=3FL4QTLM7L65C

PROS:

Again, love the cream color and that it will go with pretty much everything (at least for spring and summer - which is perfect here)

CONS:

I don't particularly love advertising and wearing logos - just not me

Don't really want a bucket bag ... or at least not sure if I do

Thank you, ladies. :grouphug:

ETA: Most of the links don't work ... oh well.

Edited by Negin in Grenada

I still think you should go look at the Fossil purses. I love, love, love this one - and they aren't so trendy that you will only be able to carry it a year without being "outdated". That's my biggest arguement against D&B or Coach purses - at our old home, everyone knew if you had last years purse. Of course, it doesn't really matter, but it irked me too much to pay ~$150 and have a dated purse. My fossil purses look like new 2 years after I get them, are flexible enough to use year round, and have personality (IMO).

Anyway, here's the link. Of course, this is the Fossil website, so everything is more expensive on there. It's pretty easy to find good prices on them at most dept. stores.

ETA: I can't get the link to work. It's fossil.com - look for the Sutter Crossbody.

Edited by TXMomof4

I just bought this bag a few weeks ago and I L.O.V.E. it. It's big enough to carry my calendar and all other necessities, but not 'frumpy'. I got it at Dillards on clearance - so you could probably find a better deal somewhere. It also comes in tan and a pink color. I thought blue would bridge summer/winter better though.

Enjoy! I love purse shopping.

I LOVE FOSSIL!!!! I saw this purse at the Fossil store in Branson, MO and I wish I could afford to buy it!! My problem is deciding whether to buy purses or boots!

I don't know when you are traveling but it might be easier to be able to try them on. You would get a feel for the purse, how it looked, and what the inside is like. I tend to be indecisive so trying to figure this out on line would make me crazy.

Thank you, all. :grouphug: I love your suggestions and tips.

I don't know when you are traveling but it might be easier to be able to try them on. You would get a feel for the purse, how it looked, and what the inside is like. I tend to be indecisive so trying to figure this out on line would make me crazy.

Yes, ideally, I would prefer to try them on. Just don't have time because of our travel plans. I need to have it mailed to our address in the U.S. - and hope for the best. I don't have time to do shopping until near the end of our trip. And I need a bag very soon.