Menu

Do we just have to do Earth and Space science in 8th?

We're using BJU's 7th grade Life Science this year. I'm not crazy about using Earth and Space Science in 8th. I thought we would do physical science instead...... until I checked Alabama's graduation requirements.

Alabama requires 4 sciences to include physical science and biology. That makes me think that I should wait for high school to do physical science.

I'm just not loving the idea of doing a "traditional" earth and space science in 8th grade. Earth science is ok.... but we really don't like space science.

What could we do in 8th instead of earth and space science? Or, should I just go ahead and do the earth and space science because it would be a good prep for 9th grade physical science? We're going to study Middle Ages in history, is there a way to link science with that?

I'm not limiting ourselves to BJU. I'm looking of more like a science progression. We might use BJU or we might use something else...

It is VERY important to me that whatever we do, we're moving in the direction of prepping for high school and later college science. I think I have kids who might go that route in college.

I have seen the wording in the highschool graduation exam brochure

(http://www.alsde.edu/general/Great_Expectations.pdf)

and it says "including biology and a physical science".

Which should mean that you could simply take actual physics.

So you could do physical science now in 8th and physics in high school.

Check if that's a possibility.

:iagree:

Many (most?) schools do Physical Science (combined course) in middle school, followed by Biology, Chemistry, and Physics in high school. The requirement (quoted above) just means that you have to do at least one of the physical sciences (e.g. physics, chemistry, geology, astronomy) in high school. So your original plan (Physical Science in 8th) is fine; it's a typical college prep sequence.

Jackie

Thanks everyone!!! So, what about a progression like this:

7th Life Science

8th Physical

9th Chemistry

10th Biology

11th Physics

12th An advanced course or cc duel enrollment science

I had forgotten about starting a high school sequence in 8th grade... which leaves 12th grade open for advanced courses or duel enrollment at a community college.

If I treated 8th grade like the first year in high school, what would physical science have to look like???? I'm concerned it might be too advanced.

If I treated 8th grade like a middle school class, then as long as I did biology and ANY other physical science (chemistry, physics, geology, or astronomy) in the 12th grade slot, I'd be ok.

Does anyone have a comment about starting the 4x4 in 8th as opposed to starting it in 9th? Specifically doing high school level work in 8th? How do you make sure the student is doing the right level of difficulty? Is this too much to ask of an 8th grader?

Thanks so much for all your help!!!

How do you make sure the student is doing the right level of difficulty? Is this too much to ask of an 8th grader?

The right level of difficulty is one that challenges the student without frustrating him.

What that is, depends on the student. You are the only one who can tell if it is asked too much of your 8th grader to do highschool work.

Children are very different, so there is no one-size-fits all rule. (My 8th grader is taking a college physics class and doing just fine.)

The right level of difficulty is one that challenges the student without frustrating him.

What that is, depends on the student. You are the only one who can tell if it is asked too much of your 8th grader to do highschool work.

Children are very different, so there is no one-size-fits all rule. (My 8th grader is taking a college physics class and doing just fine.)

Thanks Regentrude!

I really appreciate your response. I understand your answer.... I still have a question.

Should I use a 9th grade science text (curriculum) in 8th grade to justify it being a high school class..... or can I use an 8th grade science and call it high school?

Giving an 8th grade curriculum a high school credit doesn't sound right to me. But having an 8th grader work a 9th grade text might be too advanced.

If I had to answer my own question, I would have to say that if the 8th grader couldn't handle the 9th grade work, the class could not be counted as a high school class.

Would you use the 8th grade text and beef it up to high school level??? I'm facing my first try at understanding high school.

Sorry to be so frustrating. :confused:

Thanks everyone!!! So, what about a progression like this:

7th Life Science

8th Physical

9th Chemistry

10th Biology

11th Physics

12th An advanced course or cc duel enrollment science

This is very close to our plan. We did BJU Life Science in 7th. We're doing PH Physical Science, Concepts in Action (the 9th grade book), and then we'll do Biology next year. followed by Chem and Physics. The kids get free choice for science in 12th. Ds will probably do AP Physics or take it at the CC. Dd will probably do A&P since she is interested in a medical career.

The main difference between 8th and 9th grade Physical Science classes is the math. The 8th grade classes are much lighter on math. 9th grade typically has an Algebra pre-requisite.

Should I use a 9th grade science text (curriculum) in 8th grade to justify it being a high school class..... or can I use an 8th grade science and call it high school?

Yes, I would use a text or curriculum that is typically used in high school.

This said, I do not think there are different "9th grade" and "10th grade" texts - it's just a normal high school text. Students might take the same class in different years, depending on their schedules.

(Correct me if I'm wrong - this is my understanding of how the system works; I did not go to school in the US)

Just make sure you pick a "regular" one and not an honors or AP if you are not sure your son can handle it.

Giving an 8th grade curriculum a high school credit doesn't sound right to me. But having an 8th grader work a 9th grade text might be too advanced.

If I had to answer my own question, I would have to say that if the 8th grader couldn't handle the 9th grade work, the class could not be counted as a high school class.

I agree. If he can't handle high school level work, you can't give high school credit for it.

I do not think working on material one grade level higher is "too advanced" for most students. the middle school curricula are not challenging to the average student, and the kids have the potential to learn a lot more than educators deem fit to include in the curriculum. I would not hesitate to give an 8th grader a high school text, if he has no learning disabilities and knows his math.

Would you use the 8th grade text and beef it up to high school level???

No, I would not want to make myself this much extra work if essentially I could just use an actual high school curriculum and be done. It should come out the same.

Edited by regentrude

Thanks again, everyone.

I'm going to rethink science. I'm trying to piece 8th - 12th grades, and I'm just working out the details.

I know BJU will have a new edition of Earth and Space Science for next year. Maybe I should re-consider this if we, in fact, continue with BJU. Life Science has been so good; maybe Earth and Space would be ok. E&S would get us ready for 9th grade physical.

I've also read a lot of wonderful reviews about CPO Science.

I was encouraged to start the high school 4X4 in 8th grade at a homeschooler's meeting last summer, and I've tried to make plans to accomplish that. Yet, that schedule might be a little over-enthusiastic at least for now. It's only the 2nd month of 7th grade right now!!!!:tongue_smilie:

I'll make a schedule with wiggle room, and if I see that we can handle a 9th grade class in 8th grade, then so be it. If not, we'll stick to 8th. No sweat.

I think for now, I'll :chillpill: and put my kids to bed! :auto:

Thanks, everyone!

I'm a little confused, but it might be because we're in different states with different requirements. Why would you start the high school 4x4 (I'm assuming 4 maths and 4 sciences, correct?) in 8th grade? Wouldn't you just continue with the next math or science in the sequence, whatever that might be? Your student would have to take 4 maths and 4 sciences during the high school years, regardless of what those courses are. So if you start with algebra in 8th grade, he/she would still have to take 4 years of math. If you start with physical science in 8th grade, he/she would still have to take bio, chem or physics and 2 other sciences in high school.

I'm a little confused, but it might be because we're in different states with different requirements. Why would you start the high school 4x4 (I'm assuming 4 maths and 4 sciences, correct?) in 8th grade? Wouldn't you just continue with the next math or science in the sequence, whatever that might be? Your student would have to take 4 maths and 4 sciences during the high school years, regardless of what those courses are. So if you start with algebra in 8th grade, he/she would still have to take 4 years of math. If you start with physical science in 8th grade, he/she would still have to take bio, chem or physics and 2 other sciences in high school.

Luckymama, the context was that if the 4x4 were begun in 8th grade, the student could take community college duel enrollment classes in 12th.

I was having trouble deciding what we could do in 8th that would meet the requirements of a high school level class.

This is not necessarily accurate (as in all discussions, this is most likely state dependent) Meeting the 4x4 requirement does not necessarily mean that all 4 courses were taken in high school but that 4 yrs of high school level material were taken.

For example, I live in a state that requires 3 yrs of the same foreign language or 2 yrs of 2 different languages. A huge number of the ps kids are entering high school in yr 3 of the foreign language requirement (so obviously, they are supposedly taking yr 1 in 7th grade)

Some states limit the number of credits from middle school that you can carry into high school (TN for example limits it to 3), however that is not the case in all states and is not the case here (my 9th grader has 6.5 credits that will be on his transcript prior to high school: physics, French 1, alg 1, geo, alg 2, alg 3, .5 credit for Intro to Counting and Prob.) He will probably end up having far more than 4 yrs of math and science for high school b/c he is already taking 2 sciences this yr and wants to double up on some more "off track" math topics. However, he really dislikes French, so French 1 from 8th grade will definitely be counted as one of those 3/2/2 foreign lang credits.

I see. It's totally state-dependent (and district-dependent, too) :)

If a student enters high school years with a traditional "9th grade course" in 8th grade, they would still have to take 4 years of that subject. Those kids take that 4th year at the university, not the CC. The CC courses are more remedial than advanced---I have friends who teach at the CC in math, science, English and computer science so I hear a lot. Having a major public university in the area most likely influences requirements here.