Menu

Black-Eyed Peas

Thanks, Renee. I ended up just adding some onions softened in oil, canned tomoatoes, spices and rosemary since I didn't have cilantro. I had put them in the slowcooker overnight to soften and they had gotten all brownish so I added the tomatoes to hopefully liven up their color a bit..... We'll (try to) eat this with rice and/or bread!!!!

Here's a great black-eyed pea salad recipe that is always popular.

BLACK-EYED PEA SALAD

4 cans black-eyed peas (plain, not seasoned)

4 stalks celery

2 cucumbers

1 bell pepper

Purple onion to taste (I use about 1/4 of a small purple onion)

1 bunch fresh cilantro

3/4 cup red wine vinegar

1 tablespoon oil

Salt and pepper to taste

Chop vegetables into very tiny bits; mix all ingredients together. Refrigerate.

in our house, black-eyed peas always go with cornbread, pork chops, mixed greens, and macaroni and tomatoes. We also slice up cucumbers, onions and marinate in vinegar,water and sugar, and a dash of salt/pepper. This is making me hungry! You could even make fried potato cakes with diced onion and celery! HOLY COW! I think I just figured out what's on our table tonight!

Gosh, you gals are crazy! I actually love this song, but did not know the name of the band (I am ancient!). Cool.

Yeah, well, the beans have cooked and smell yummy so I guess my own help was enough after all!! BTW, corn bread is very American and not yet my cup of tea...

However, I'd love to get a recipe on how to make those small brown beans that are slightly sweet and smokey tasting. Of course I do not want the recipe with bacon. Anyone up to the challenge here?

I ALSO thought this was going to be about the band. LOL!

I make salsa with them or cook them like other beans (with ham, etc) and have them with cornbread. Do you add meat to beans? What do you use instead of pork (just curious)?

eta: Smokey flavor from beans is usually coming from bacon or other pork. I guess you could use liquid smoke to add a bit of smokey flavor without the meat? Have you tried that?

Edited by Mrs Mungo