Menu

kindle or nook or 13 year old

Guest Barb B

Dh wants to get one for christmas for dd. I have some reservations about it. Maybe it is that idea of 1 million books at her fingertips that frightens me a bit, altough we would have a rule that she can't download a book untell we check it out. But still. . . Anyone have one for their teens? Anyone decide not to? I am trying to see pros and cons and this would really help if you share!

Barb

Forgot to add that this is for free reading and not really school (she loves to read and it is hard to keep enough books stocked for her!)

Edited by Barb B

I'd take a Kindle over a Nook OR a 13yo. :tongue_smilie:

JK - just had to after the missing letter in your title...

Seriously though, the Nook is flashier, but I prefer the ease of Amazon's store.

FWIW, I have an iPad and have Kindle, ebooks and the B&N stores. Amazon is my favorite store. Ebooks is my favorite actual reading app.

NOOK!!!

The "Lend Me" feature is great! There are a couple of Facebook pages dedicated to lending/borrowing books between Nooks...though you would want to monitor that.

ALSO, if your library has e-books, you can "borrow" books on the Nook. If your library does not have e-books, you can get a library card (online) from the Free Library of Philadelphia where you can borrow e-books.

I am so impressed that I figured out how to edit my title!! Well, between the 2 choices I would get her the nook because I have one and I could lend books to her. I don't think she would leave it out or anything cause I couldn't see her bringing it out of the house really. As far as money - it costs more to buy a book then to download it. I agree about the free books - but even if you purchase a download they are generally alot cheaper then the actual paper book.

Anyone kids have a kindle or nook? I am less wondering which one you have as I am wondering if anyone kids have one and read ebooks rather then actual paper copy of books.

Barb

I vote for a Nook. To replace the battery in a Kindle you have to send it back to Amazon plus they use proprietary software, whereas the Nook uses a more widely distributed format. With the Nook you can borrow & lend books (one time/book for a 2 week period) with Kindle you can't. You can even borrow many books from libraries. If you have any problems with the Nook you can walk right into the store plus they offer free in-store tutorials.

I don't think 13 is too young if your 13 year-old is responsible and if you have established guidelines with her. My DD (6) is already asking when she can get one. I told her she has to wait a few years, but I honestly wouldn't be opposed to getting her one when she's 10 or 11.

If you don't want her to order anything, you can put the Nook on airplane mode. She's probably old enough and tech-savvy enough to turn that feature off though. When we bought my Nook we asked the lady if there were some sort of parental controls. As of yet there are not, but she said A LOT of parents have been asking that same question so it's entirely possible they may come up with that in a future software update.

I am so impressed that I figured out how to edit my title!! Well, between the 2 choices I would get her the nook because I have one and I could lend books to her. I don't think she would leave it out or anything cause I couldn't see her bringing it out of the house really. As far as money - it costs more to buy a book then to download it. I agree about the free books - but even if you purchase a download they are generally alot cheaper then the actual paper book.

Anyone kids have a kindle or nook? I am less wondering which one you have as I am wondering if anyone kids have one and read ebooks rather then actual paper copy of books.

Barb

I have talked about getting another Nook for DD 14 (for school.) She wants no part of it. A lot of the books she has chosen to read this year are out of print books...so I have to get them used. By time you pay for the books + shipping, I think we could easily pay for a WiFi only Nook. She just likes the feel and smell of real books.

After much research my 12 year old daughter just bought a Nook with her birthday money. She has had it a month and we are thrilled. She is very trustworthy and has always asked if she can download certain books (even the free ones). It goes through my B&N account, so any purchases show up in my email. It has been a lifesaver for me because this kid reads 5-10 books a week for free reading, over and above what I assign for school. This has enabled her to always have something new when she wants it.

I have to say, also, that it was the in-store help that tipped the scales for us. We have a B&N store 10 minutes away and the staff there is great...always eager to help us figure stuff out.

Guest Melissa Burpee

We purchased the Kindle for our son last month for his 13th birthday. He loves it. The ease of downloading from Amazon is a huge plus for us. He has the newest generation and it is significantly smaller (although the screen size is the same) and lighter.

We looked into all the various e-reader options and finally decided on sticking with Kindle. For one odd reason: it "feels" most like a book and less like a computer to me.

On a more practical note, almost all of his literature books for this year are public domain so they are free to download, and the ones that are not have a very small price tag. I have already saved myself the price of the Kindle with his free school downloads ;0)

Our 14 year old got one for her birthday, however, we did not purchase one with internet access or download capability. I put books on it for her via usb and my computer.

I have a Nook so I can get books for her and put them on the computer and transfer to hers. Most of what she loves are public domain and we get a lot of digital downloads from the library a well.

This is the one she has....Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro

Here are sites where I get books for both of us...

EBOOKs

Site for Free Ebooks

http://manybooks.net/categories/CHI/77

this is my favorite, it has a huge listing of public domain books in a very friendly format

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

http://www.free-ebooks.net/

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/freebooks.htm

http://www.baen.com/library/

http://www.suvudu.com/freelibrary/

http://www.homeofheroes.com/books/index.html

On a more practical note, almost all of his literature books for this year are public domain so they are free to download, and the ones that are not have a very small price tag. I have already saved myself the price of the Kindle with his free school downloads ;0)

This is what I used to justify buying a Kindle in the first place. I looked through Ambleside Year 6 last night and downloaded 16 books, 15 of them for free and one for $1.

NOOK!!!

The "Lend Me" feature is great! There are a couple of Facebook pages dedicated to lending/borrowing books between Nooks...though you would want to monitor that.

ALSO, if your library has e-books, you can "borrow" books on the Nook. If your library does not have e-books, you can get a library card (online) from the Free Library of Philadelphia where you can borrow e-books.

:iagree: I have a nook and I rarely buy books since I can get digital books from the library. (They use overdrive media--works like a charm) My sister-in-law has a Kindle and I'm pretty sure she buys a lot more books than me.

(Oh, and WagsWife--thanks for the tip about the Free Library of Philadelphia.)

I bought her a nook today! She likes it! Her nook is on my account so any book she buys shows up on my nook. Also, no need to lend books to each other since our nooks are on the same account - we have access to each other's books!

Barb

:iagree: I have a nook and I rarely buy books since I can get digital books from the library. (They use overdrive media--works like a charm) My sister-in-law has a Kindle and I'm pretty sure she buys a lot more books than me.

(Oh, and WagsWife--thanks for the tip about the Free Library of Philadelphia.)

You are welcome :) I did forget to mention that the FLoP charges $15 a year for out of state members...but that is a steal!