Menu

Anybody read "The Core"? Want to discuss it here?

bethben

I've been reading "The Core" by Liegh Bortins. It's really made me think about the direction we take in our homeschool. It seems like there are two thought processes almost. We've got TWTM approach which gives a lot of book resources for science and history and "The Core" method whose main focus is memorization for the Grammar years. I've gleaned some things from the book which make sense to me. The one thing I'm going to start implementing is having my kids be able to draw the world by heart. It makes more sense to me than just filling out maps that relate to what they're learning (and subsequently- not memorizing them/forgetting what they learned).

So, anyone want to ponder the question of letting your K-6 grades just focus on memorization as the core and the books and experiments as the gravy?

Beth

After a couple weeks of CC, I'd say that memorization is easy and doesn't take much time if you have a really good system for it and are consistent. I really can't see why one can't have both a great foundation of memory work and also wallow in wonderful stories in literature and history.

I, too, am really looking forward to the geography component.

I read it, and, much to my surprise, really enjoyed it. I thought the first part of the book explained Classical education and the reasonings for it and behind it was the best I've read.

I also thought her memorization argument was very convincing. I think the memorization component is in the WTM as well, but I've always kind of floundered. Every time I thought to sit down and make a memory list, I would get overwhelmed and paralyzed at the thought. We've done some poetry, and Bible verses, and the presidents, but that's it. I purchased the Cycle 1 flashcard pdf, and we're going to memorize all 24 weeks (I plan to also go through the other 2 cycles), along with selected poetry. We started last week and it wasn't hard at all--it took about 10-15 minutes a day, so it was easy to add to our day.

I really enjoyed The Core too. It gave me a bit of a different perspective. The two things I pulled out were more memorization and geography... much like you!

So, we are starting map drawing as she outlines in the geography chapter. We're almost ready to move onto continent blobs. I'll just progress with this with each child moving at his/her own speed.

For memorization we're starting to memorize time line events. We did our first 8 this week to be followed by 8 more until we get to the 160. The kids are LOVING this! I'm contemplating science memorization as well, but may stick with memorizing things that go along with what we're studying... so right now we're studying the planets. I'm going to have them memorize the planets in order. My kids also do AWANA so they memorize many Bible verses each year.

One thing I have a bit of trouble digesting is memorizing out of context. I have a hard time believing it's of any use when the kids really don't know what they are reciting. However, I can see getting lots of "information" in there so that someday it all will make sense. I'm just so used to explaining **everything** to my kids. They aren't kids who just "accept" things because someone tells them something... they ask LOTS of questions! I feel like I need to teach lessons before they memorize! But, then CC works and I'm guessing they don't teach detailed lessons, rather memorize facts that they are not necessarily teaching the ins and outs of.

One thing I have a bit of trouble digesting is memorizing out of context. I have a hard time believing it's of any use when the kids really don't know what they are reciting.

This was my dh's argument against the CC memorization when I was discussing it with him over the summer. I'm having him read the book to see if it influences him. So, right now, we are memorizing Bible verses, poems, the timeline, and anything that comes up in their language arts (FLL memorization pieces) or math. CC does make it easier with the songs and graphics, but it's not so bad right now either. We will start with maps once I figure it out a bit more.

Beth

I, too, just read The Core. After doing so I ordered the Foundations Guide in order to get a clearer grasp of what to memorize when. I see the memorizations as a great addition to what we are already going during the week. My kids do awana, so they have already been memorizing for years. Having had my oldest just transition to an 8th grade magnet school district, I can now see areas in which I should have demanded more, and, therefore, what I want to do differently with the younger ones.

It was a good read. Her examples are excellent and I am looking forward to adding in history and science memorizations.

rmiz

One thing I have a bit of trouble digesting is memorizing out of context. I have a hard time believing it's of any use when the kids really don't know what they are reciting. However, I can see getting lots of "information" in there so that someday it all will make sense. I'm just so used to explaining **everything** to my kids. They aren't kids who just "accept" things because someone tells them something... they ask LOTS of questions! I feel like I need to teach lessons before they memorize! But, then CC works and I'm guessing they don't teach detailed lessons, rather memorize facts that they are not necessarily teaching the ins and outs of.

I'm one who thinks I have to explain *everything* to my kids. Sometimes it works great. Sometimes.... I think my boys hear only 'wah wa WA wah WA' because I'm overdoing it. :D The memory work in CC is quite catchy, and it is more like learning a funny little song. And then the peg is there, so when more information comes up (in a book or discussion), their ears and minds perk up and they are interested...then more sticks. In this respect, it seems easier to me to expand on the information AFTER they have been introduced to the memory work. I'm finding it a fairly simple thing to expand a bit on each subject with my 8 yo during the week (plus we've already studied some of the material), so I don't feel that it is without context.

And then the peg is there, so when more information comes up (in a book or discussion), their ears and minds perk up and they are interested...then more sticks.

That's good to hear. I've come to realize due to my family situation, I will most likely never join a community unless it's a 5 minute drive from my house. Are you doing the memory work alone? I'm pretty sure I can convince a family or two to do it with me, but gotta make sure dh wants this also.

Beth

That's good to hear. I've come to realize due to my family situation, I will most likely never join a community unless it's a 5 minute drive from my house. Are you doing the memory work alone? I'm pretty sure I can convince a family or two to do it with me, but gotta make sure dh wants this also.

Beth

Well, I'm lucky enough to have a really great community less than 5 minutes from my house. :001_smile: My sister, my mom, and my closest friends are involved, so it has been an ideal situation.

Whether or not a family is successful doing the memory work alone depends on the family. (How is that for non-commital?) I personally have a really tough time with consistency and absolutely need the accountability and consistency of weekly classes. My boys are outgoing and I think will thrive on the memory work as an interactive thing rather than something on the to-do list at home.

I'm one who thinks I have to explain *everything* to my kids. Sometimes it works great. Sometimes.... I think my boys hear only 'wah wa WA wah WA' because I'm overdoing it. :D The memory work in CC is quite catchy, and it is more like learning a funny little song. And then the peg is there, so when more information comes up (in a book or discussion), their ears and minds perk up and they are interested...then more sticks. In this respect, it seems easier to me to expand on the information AFTER they have been introduced to the memory work. I'm finding it a fairly simple thing to expand a bit on each subject with my 8 yo during the week (plus we've already studied some of the material), so I don't feel that it is without context.

:iagree: this is our second time through cycle 2. i cannot believe how incredibly hungry my ds 9 is to learn more in depth all the stuff that was just memory work and fun songs before. we also had the opportunity to visit the US capitol building in which is a bronzed version of the magna carta. we immediately sang the song that went with that and i explained to him that this was a copy of that document and how it impacted the formation of our own government. wow. he had a peg. it was not a foreign concept to him. now we are building on those pegs in a really fun way this year. so...for those of you who think it seems out of context or random...it comes into brilliant focus if you have the patience to wait about three years to see it come to fruition. i can't wait to see what turns up for my dd5 who is REALLY taking it in because her big brother 9 is digging in so much deeper. she hates to be outdone by him.

i read the Core and in the past her writing has really bugged me, but this time (she had an editor!) it has been very enjoyable. it is more just confirmation of everything we are doing anyway.

I am reading it now on Kindle. I think memory work has value, and they do have lightbulb moments, like when they see another poem by an author whose work they have previously memorized, etc. And we love the Audio Memory Geog songs and Lyrical Life Sci, etc-those seem to be effective and retained well. BUT I don't really like the idea of memorizing out of context-I am not sold on that at all.

Also on a positive note, I do like the geog recommendations in the book.

Edited by HappyGrace

I just started reading it and really liking it too! It just adds to my library (along with WTM and LCC) so I can shape my own opinions.

We also just started CC and I am tutoring too. We are having a blast. The memory work doesn't seem out of context for us because I am not using a different spine. We're doing Middle Ages right now with lots of resources, including SOTW and it's tying in nicely. As CC moves faster through time we might not align so nicely. But, we were just reading a great book about Vikings the other night that had a map at the top of the page and my 6yo said "Look, there's the Baltic Sea! They crossed over it to come down into the Roman Empire!" :001_huh::D Yep! I agree that once those pegs are there, what we do study comes into such clear focus. Not a plug for CC necessarily, but for memory work in general. I agreed with her statement that it trains our brains how to retain information. Train your brain to retain! :tongue_smilie:

I And we love the Audio Memory Geog songs and Lyrical Life Sci, etc-those seem to be effective and retained well.

I don't know what she says in the book as I haven't read it, but despite the fact that CC uses some songs for memory work they actually discourage memory songs or using tunes for memory work claiming that it doesn't work. I strongly disagree with this. Honestly the only things I remember that I've memorized in my life are those that I learned to music. My kids are the same. It's like some kind of mind trap - once the song is in there it's there for good.

Heather

I don't know what she says in the book as I haven't read it, but despite the fact that CC uses some songs for memory work they actually discourage memory songs or using tunes for memory work claiming that it doesn't work. I strongly disagree with this. Honestly the only things I remember that I've memorized in my life are those that I learned to music. My kids are the same. It's like some kind of mind trap - once the song is in there it's there for good.

Heather

Where have you read that memory songs are discouraged in CC? So much of the memory work on the CD is done with songs.:confused: I think the use of songs, visual pictures, and signs are extremely helpful for cementing the info into kids' heads (and mine, too!) long term.

Where have you read that memory songs are discouraged in CC? So much of the memory work on the CD is done with songs.:confused: I think the use of songs, visual pictures, and signs are extremely helpful for cementing the info into kids' heads (and mine, too!) long term.

I didn't read it. We did CC one year. I was told it during tutor training. We were told it by long term CC users. They said they have the songs as aids but prefer as they get older for them not to use them. They didn't say the same about signs, motions etc. It was the singing part.

Heather

I was most impressed with the Geography section, and we are going to start working on the world map! Including me. As none of mine read independently (therefore labeling maps is out of the question), I'm thrilled to find something they can do.

I do like the idea of memorizing 200 events, and I watched some YouTube videos with the motions. The dates were not mentioned, just the order. I think that would be helpful, even though we may do it at 1/2 pace.

I wasn't impressed enough to buy the book, but I have ordered a copy of the Foundations manual for memory work.

Amy

Wait - you were at the capitol building but didn't walk up the street and see the actual Magna Carta?

Sorry - I love the National Archives.

Heather

eta...just read...apparently we do own one of the originals. http://www.archives.gov/press/press-releases/2010/nr10-112.html cool...will make a pilgrimage soon. :-)

Edited by Hedgehogs4

eta...just read...apparently we do own one of the originals. http://www.archives.gov/press/press-releases/2010/nr10-112.html cool...will make a pilgrimage soon. :-)

Yes we do. It's been there for a long time - with maybe a break or two here or there. It's really wonderful. I love the whole Archives experience. Of course it's amazing to see the real Declaration and Constitution but there are other really fascinating documents in the Rotunda as well. This year we went on the 4th of July. They keep the Archives open late so we went to see the Declaration and then walked up the street for the fireworks. It was pretty amazing.

Heather

I didn't read it. We did CC one year. I was told it during tutor training. We were told it by long term CC users. They said they have the songs as aids but prefer as they get older for them not to use them. They didn't say the same about signs, motions etc. It was the singing part.

Heather

This has not been my experience so far, and I was trained by our fantastic state director. I think the songs are essential, but I do like to mix it up a little. I notice my 6yo almost can't do it without the tune, but my 10 yo often will skip singing. I don't know if that's an age/maturity thing, or just a learning style thing. Obviously the point is to put the words into your memory whether you always have to use the song or the hand motions or visualize little pictographs or whatever. I tell the parents in my class that them using a different tactic than I use in class is a good thing, so the child's brain is working with the same material in different formats and their brain is trained to remember the material, not just the tune. But I do find the singing extremely beneficial and with all the tunes offered through CC for memory work, I don't see this being discouraged, rather encouraged. I'll watch out for it as I read along.