Menu

What do you do when your child wants you to buy them something online?

Guest HolidayMomma

Guest HolidayMomma

Hey all,

My 6 year old daughter and I usually go to the library or the bookstore together when picking out new books to read, so I always have a chance to glance a book over before letting her read it.

But just this morning, my baby girl asked me to buy her a book online. The book looks cute enough and age appropriate, but the author who wrote it also writes Young Adult books, which is a turn-off for me.

I don't want to supress her desire to read and be tyrannical, but at the same time, it's hard to buy stuff online without knowing it's reputation... isn't it?

The book is called "Katrina's Christmas" and the website that sells it is: www.natalieinger.com. So let me know if you've heard of this book, or you can check it out yourself and let me know what you think. Please tell me if you think I'm being overprotective!

It's just so hard to buy things online when you don't know what you're getting. But maybe that's the way of the world--and I have to adjust!

This is an important issue that I've been struggling with lately, and I'd love to hear what y'all think.

I've purchased many books for DS online. We usually buy books from Amazon, so I always read through all the reviews first and make a decision based on that (I've found them to be pretty accurate so far - haven't had any bad experiences in this regard).

You may want to check on Amazon to see if this book is available from there and has been reviewed (even if you ultimately buy it somewhere else). Might give you a better idea as to whether the content is appropriate for your DD (sometimes, you can even "look inside the book" and read a few pages online)....

The book looks cute enough and age appropriate, but the author who wrote it also writes Young Adult books, which is a turn-off for me.

....but you aren't planning to buy the book(s) that the author writes for teenagers, right? so why does it matter *what else* she writes?

the christmas book looks cute. maybe you could find it at the library?

There is so much to buy online...Forget the book, think about the precedence. My 12yo threw hissy fits when I wouldn't buy him 100 guitar picks online. Why in the world would he need 100 guitar picks? We eventually went down to the music store and bought a few.

Buying online is not something I want my child to get used to. Yes, I can understand it when you are looking for something hard to find locally. But, there are plenty of books to be had locally, imo.

We buy all sorts of stuff online. For one, I don't have to stop with two young kids. For two, I can find more variety....as well as cheaper prices....than buying around town. I'd see if Amazon has the "look inside" feature on this particular book. I'd read reviews, etc. And if you want to buy it, I'd just buy it.

I'm curious:

How did your dd find out about this particular book? Does one of her friends have a copy?

The reason I'm asking is that I couldn't find the book on Amazon, nor could I find it on WorldCat (library catalog). It appears to be available only through the author's website... which seems like an unusual way for a 6yo to find out about a book...

I'm curious:

How did your dd find out about this particular book? Does one of her friends have a copy?

The reason I'm asking is that I couldn't find the book on Amazon, nor could I find it on WorldCat (library catalog). It appears to be available only through the author's website... which seems like an unusual way for a 6yo to find out about a book...

...she linked to the same author's website here as well - about a contest.

There is so much to buy online...Forget the book, think about the precedence. My 12yo threw hissy fits when I wouldn't buy him 100 guitar picks online. Why in the world would he need 100 guitar picks? We eventually went down to the music store and bought a few.

Buying online is not something I want my child to get used to. Yes, I can understand it when you are looking for something hard to find locally. But, there are plenty of books to be had locally, imo.

Really? We almost exclusively buy books online. The stuff our local bookstores carry is nothing but twaddly trash.

I have no problem with the op buying her daughter a book online but ONLY if mom approves the book and wants to spend the money. I usually just tell my children I'll put it on their wishlist and we'll see what happens. Sometimes they forget all about it and other times it turns up on a Birthday or Christmas.

I have no problem with the op buying her daughter a book online but ONLY if mom approves the book and wants to spend the money. I usually just tell my children I'll put it on their wishlist and we'll see what happens. Sometimes they forget all about it and other times it turns up on a Birthday or Christmas.

:iagree:That's what I always did too.

Now he has his own money and debit card so sometimes boxes just appear at my house and I have no idea what they're about. :lol: