Menu

1st grade question: Am I doing enough???

nknapp5

I am hs my 6yo DS. We are doing Saxon math, OPGTR, FLL, WWE, ETC 2, spelling workout, VP Bible. On Mondays we also attend classical conversations (which we started 3 weeks ago). Originally I thought my ds would get enough history and science, for 1st grade, from CC. Now I don't know. Does a 1st grader "need" history and science? I planned on starting VP history in 2nd grade like they recommend. Besides history and science am I doing enough? Would like input from anyone! thanks!!

I am hs my 6yo DS. We are doing Saxon math, OPGTR, FLL, WWE, ETC 2, spelling workout, VP Bible. On Mondays we also attend classical conversations (which we started 3 weeks ago). Originally I thought my ds would get enough history and science, for 1st grade, from CC. Now I don't know. Does a 1st grader "need" history and science? I planned on starting VP history in 2nd grade like they recommend. Besides history and science am I doing enough? Would like input from anyone! thanks!!

I am working on our line-up for first grade (January 2011), so I'm not a "First Grade Expert" yet! :D Here are my thoughts on your line-up:

SKILLS

Math (check)

Phonics (check, check)

Copywork & Narration (check)

Grammar (check)

Memory Work (check -- but I would add more poems than what's in FLL, about 1-2/month, and do cumulative review)

Spelling (check)

Handwriting? (will he practice this skill with WWE/SWO/other?)

CONTENT

Bible (check)

Literature -- I don't really see this in your list (e.g., folk tales, fables, nursery tales, classic poetry, animal stories, picture books)

Science -- CC + read alouds + documentaries + nature walks = Enough :D

History -- CC + read alouds + documentaries + field trips/museums = Enough :D

Art -- CC? and/or art prints + materials + encouragement

Music -- CC? and/or listening to great music

ENRICHMENT

Global Languages -- ? listening/singing to the target language(s) [if you plan to introduce formal study later, he could simply listen now]

Physical Fitness -- ? (running around outside!)

Group/Club/Team -- ? (Boy Scouts, Royal Rangers, AWANA, sports, etc.)

Chores/Work -- ?

FWIW, we are not even doing History for 1st. We're doing Geography instead (a world tour, countries & cultures), because I think my twins (will be 4 in Jan. 2011) will get more out of that -- fun recipes, costumes, crafts, music, maps & games. Then, we'll begin with US History/Geography in 2012, and go into "The Cycle" after that....

On a side note, I think we are a riot -- The First Grade Homeschool Mothers' Club. Have you noticed, we ALL ask the SAME question:

Is this enough?

I've been doing this for weeks. In fact, I was searching "first grade plan" and came across your thread. :lol: I'm looking at my 1st grade plan right now, thinking the same thing. "Is it enough? Oh, is it enough?" I showed it to my husband before he fell asleep and I asked, "Is it enough?"

Him: :001_huh: (I'm taking a nap....)

Edited by Sahamamama

I think it's enough! My first grader is doing about the same, and I think he's finding it to be quite enough! I had planned on doing SOTW, but really, we just don't have the time to fit it in at the moment. We are doing science one day a week, but only because his piano teacher wanted to teach him science as well (former homeschooling mom who's kids are now graduated). As he gets more on top of his handwriting, I do plan to start doing history, and we'll probably do it through the summer, as it would be fun to include my daughter in once preschool is done. But I honestly wouldn't fret about it if we didn't!

When I'm starting to worry about if we're doing enough, I think about 2 things:

1. On so many of those 'what would you do differently' threads to veteran homeschoolers, a very common response it that they would go easier on their kids in the early years.

2. Finland, a country who's educational system is regarded as one of the best in the world, doesn't even start formal education until age 7.

So, we do what we can, without guilt! In the future when I don't have a toddler and preschooler running around and a bit more time and ability, it'll get more rigerous as far as education goes around here. If I did have more time, yes, we'd have more fun history and science too, but at his age, I'm just really not concerned!

like plenty to me. I was looking at some of the other posts. I think one mom said that she was doing Boys Scouts or Royal Rangers. I think that if you have scouts or rangers, you don't need science in first grade. Don't they do nature walks and camping in scouts? The children learn so much doing science that way.

Your schedule looks really great.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I had the same questions when I started out (1st grade)...now that my son is in 9th, I wish I had taken it a bit easier on him. Honestly, he didn't remember much of the formal subjects that I thought were so important; he remembers the great stories we read, field trips we took, and projects we built. I pushed him to do textbook-ish things that he wasn't ready for, and it came back to bite me in the backside later on.

Right now, I would suggest you work on skills and on building a love for learning. For history, read great stories, visit what you can (either in person or on DVD/internet), and build whatever he'd like. There's lots of time later on for "formal" stuff - right now, he's not wired for it :)

You're doing more than I am (mostly with WWE, FLL & Spelling - I'm only using one very simple language arts program for all of it), and I think it's plenty. :)

I don't think a 1st grader "needs" history and science, per se, but mine would be bumming without it. We're going through the ancients right now for history and the animal kingdom for science - all through topical books (and DK Eyewitness Books, we love those!) from the library.

My 2cents...first grade boys are wiggly!! As are second grade boys so like the veteran homeschoolers say take it easy and enjoy these years. My boys are nearing 8 in about a month and there is a world of difference of trying to do school last year versus this year as second graders (only for the purpose of those who inquire as to what grade they are in).

They are more eager, seem to retain ALOT more, and really enjoy doing school so do what you can and the rest really will come.

Looks like enough to me :D my 7yr. old is only doing Saxon Phonics 1, McRuffy Math 1 and Learning Language Arts Through Literature the blue book.

I have taught 1st grade five times, my how time goes by so fast. Seems like just yesterday I was starting Kindergarten with Josh, my oldest.

I have in the past used Sonlight Core 1 for first grade and another year I used MFW.

Edited by Homeschooling6