Menu

Is it home school or homeschool?

What is the proper way to write the noun: home school or homeschool? When you use it as a verb, as in "We homeschool our children," is that okay? And, then there is the word "homeschooling" which might be used as a noun or as a part of a verb phrase.

The reason I ask is that I am working on writing a school profile for the Common Application, and I am feeling weird whichever way I write it. (And the spell check certainly doesn't like the compound, no spaces version!) I think that I have seen all of the above uses, and we homeschoolers (there it is again!) may be introducing a new batch of words into the lexicon, but I'm not certain how it might be seen by outside eyes. What do you say??

My general sense is that "homeschool" is more acceptable in homeschool circles than "home school". However, I don't know what people outside homeschooling think. "I home school my kids" used as a verb does look a little weird and choppy.

I've lately started to see "home-school" in newspapers and such. That looks really wrong.

I don't know that there's any consensus, although I kind of figure that those of us who are actually doing the homeschooling ought to get to choose how to spell it.

On the transcript I did, I think there was only one instance of "homeschool". It was in the title:

"Official Homeschool Transcript for...."

Otherwise, I didn't use it. I did say that some courses were "done at home", but I used that phrase pretty minimally (and only to distinguish from courses that were done at a college). I never heard complaints. My daughter got into the colleges she applied to.

What is the proper way to write the noun: home school or homeschool? When you use it as a verb, as in "We homeschool our children," is that okay? And, then there is the word "homeschooling" which might be used as a noun or as a part of a verb phrase.

The reason I ask is that I am working on writing a school profile for the Common Application, and I am feeling weird whichever way I write it. (And the spell check certainly doesn't like the compound, no spaces version!) I think that I have seen all of the above uses, and we homeschoolers (there it is again!) may be introducing a new batch of words into the lexicon, but I'm not certain how it might be seen by outside eyes. What do you say??

I'm doing the Common App today, also, here is what I have learned so far(s)--

College Board (the SAT folks) use the single word "homeschool" in most places; but at times they use the hyphenated words "home-school".

FACTS.org, which the statewide application system for Florida, uses the word "homeschool".

I notice the Common App uses the separate words "home school". Some of the colleges that utilize the Common App use 2 words, while others prefer to combine into one word.

Really, the proper usage would be two words, as in public school, private school, correspondence school, online school, etc.

However, there is a common usage of the verb "home-schooled", which is always hyphenated, therefore indicating the words were split before becoming a linked verb.

Bottom line: when I do the Common App it will be home school (2 words); when I fill in state/federal forms it will be homeschool (1 word), and when I prepare transcripts I am using our street name and the word academy: River Oak Academy; and in our school profile I refer to the teaching methodology as home education. If one wanted to be a real stickler about the whole deal, though, it is private tutoring, which is exactly what celebrity children receive on set when they are filming.

Whew!

Edited by distancia

I always used homeschool until coming here. There was a thread' date=' and I thought the consensus seemed to be home school was the better way to go. :lol:[/quote']

I don't always agree with the concensus. It will always be "homeschool" to me, probably because that's how John Holt wrote it. :)

I'm doing the Common App today, also, here is what I have learned so far(s)--

College Board (the SAT folks) use the single word "homeschool" in most places; but at times they use the hyphenated words "home-school".

FACTS.org, which the statewide application system for Florida, uses the word "homeschool".

I notice the Common App uses the separate words "home school". Some of the colleges that utilize the Common App use 2 words, while others prefer to combine into one word.

Really, the proper usage would be two words, as in public school, private school, correspondence school, online school, etc.

However, there is a common usage of the verb "home-schooled", which is always hyphenated, therefore indicating the words were split before becoming a linked verb.

Bottom line: when I do the Common App it will be home school (2 words); when I fill in state/federal forms it will be homeschool (1 word), and when I prepare transcripts I am using our street name and the word academy: River Oak Academy; and in our school profile I refer to the teaching methodology as home education. If one wanted to be a real stickler about the whole deal, though, it is private tutoring, which is exactly what celebrity children receive on set when they are filming.

Whew!

Yes, these sorts of discrepancies were throwing me off as I started to work on our documentation for college/scholarship applications. I think that I will probably take your approach.

I don't always agree with the concensus. It will always be "homeschool" to me, probably because that's how John Holt wrote it. :)

I don't always go with the consensus either, but I coupled that with it coming up as misspelled in my automatic spell checker. I hate seeing words with the red squiggly lines underneath. Maybe I should just add it. :tongue_smilie: I dread having to use it in writing for something important like a transcript, because I'll be agonizing over it for sure.

I don't always go with the consensus either' date=' but I coupled that with it coming up as misspelled in my automatic spell checker. I hate seeing words with the red squiggly lines underneath. Maybe I should just add it. :tongue_smilie: I dread having to use it in writing for something important like a transcript, because I'll be agonizing over it for sure.[/quote']

I added it. :)

I never put "homeschool" on a transcript. Or "home school," either. Even if I did, I figure I know more about whether it's one word or two than the people who would be receiving it.:lol:

I used homeschool and homeschooling in my daughter's application materials She was accepted by eight of the ten schools to which she applied, waitlisted {or should that be wait-listed?} at the ninth, and denied by the tenth. That tenth school probably was looking for home-school and home-schooling. It's all becoming clear now.

Regards,

Kareni

I used homeschool and homeschooling in my daughter's application materials She was accepted by eight of the ten schools to which she applied, waitlisted {or should that be wait-listed?} at the ninth, and denied by the tenth. That tenth school probably was looking for home-school and home-schooling. It's all becoming clear now.

Regards,

Kareni

:lol: Your daughter will be relieved to know that it was all your fault. :lol:

I think we can safely assume that 8 out of 10 schools accept homeschooling and 10 percent are taking a wait and see approach. :D

From what I have heard and read, either is acceptable. However, when homeschooling (that's how I like to spell it!) first became more popular, "homeschool" was not even a word. Then, the correct spelling was "home school." At some point "homeschool" was actually added as a dictionary word, so now it IS a real word and can be used.

Regards,

Kareni

:lol:Yes, it does depend upon my writing this exactly correct, doesn't it? I'm not terribly uptight about it, but I am (for good or bad) the kind of detail person who tries to make sense of the different ways that I've seen the word(s) used.

I don't always go with the consensus either' date=' but I coupled that with it coming up as misspelled in my automatic spell checker. I hate seeing words with the red squiggly lines underneath. Maybe I should just add it. :tongue_smilie: I dread having to use it in writing for something important like a transcript, because I'll be agonizing over it for sure.[/quote']I'm the same way---I hate seeing those red squiggly lines! I added it, as I prefer using homeschool.

Regards,

Kareni

:lol: You should've known better! Now look what you've done to your daughter's chances! ;) :lol:

Brindee I'm taking the plunge and adding it! Did you know your name has a red squiggly line too??? :lol:

I hate to tell you but Teachin'Mine has a red squiggly line, too. But, hey, so does Kareni! (Perhaps we can start a new group: "the red squiggly liners"!)

Regards,

Kareni

I'm the same way---I hate seeing those red squiggly lines! I added it, as I prefer using homeschool.

Brindee I'm taking the plunge and adding it! Did you know your name has a red squiggly line too??? :lol:

I hate to tell you but Teachin'Mine has a red squiggly line' date=' too. But, hey, so does Kareni! (Perhaps we can start a new group: "the red squiggly liners"!)

Regards,

Kareni[/quote']:lol: I'm in!!! :lol:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/homeschooling

Definition of HOMESCHOOL

intransitive verb

: to teach school subjects to one's children at home

transitive verb

: to teach (one's children) at home

Examples of HOMESCHOOL

1. They homeschooled both their children.
  2. Parents who homeschool are meeting on Thursday.

First Known Use of HOMESCHOOL

Rhymes with HOMESCHOOL

ampoule, babul, Banjul, befool, Blackpool, B-school, carpool, church school, cesspool, closestool, curule, dame school, day school, edge tool, Elul, faldstool, flake tool, footstool, gene pool, grade school, hangul, high school, Kabul, misrule, Mosul, old school, prep school, preschool, retool, self-rule, step stool, tide pool, toadstool, tomfool, trade school, uncool, unspool, vanpool, whirlpool [-]hide

ampoule, babul, Banjul, befool, Blackpool, B-school, carpool, church school, cesspool, closestool, curule, dame school, day school

Home-school is also given:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/home-school?show=0&t=1285419106