Menu

Sonlight-ish Sort of Question? Reading Time?

dripdripsplat

I really couldn't think of an appropriate title...Sorry.

We are going to be doing a lot of reading this year, and I would like to know, for those of you who cuddle up and do reading time, what activities do you "allow" the kids to do during this time?

I've thought of a few things (drawing, coloring, listening...duh, Legos), but would like some others to chime in.

Both of my kids are not used to long family reading times, so I know this will probably be a bit of a struggle at first. I know that if I try to glue them to the couch for an hour or two of listening they will probably revolt.

I think drawing or coloring are OK. Legos always get too noisy and become too distracting for us, but I have 4 boys! They get competitive for the pieces, or get excited about what they have just made and want to talk about it!

If your kids are not used to a lot of reading, try breaking up the reading throughout the day. Save some for bedtime, like the Read-Alouds.

We love SL! Hope you do too!

Keep the reading times short, and s l o w l y build up to more. Be kind to your voice and their ears; a half hour at a time is my absolute maximum. Leave 'em hanging, they'll listen better next time.

One of mine listens better when I allow him to squeeze one of those little rubber plasticy stress balls as he listens--he does have to keep it in his hands, and not be bouncing it off his brother's face. :)

I can't read aloud for more than 30 minutes at a time; I need to take a break. So we read at several opportunities throughout the day. The kids are pretty good listeners (5 and 7 yo), but we've built up to it over time.

They color or paint sometimes. Sometimes I read during lunch, while they are eating. Often they will ask me to read from our current fun read aloud while the are playing with legos, or other similar quiet toys. Every once in a while I will read to them while they're in the bathtub. And sometimes we just cuddle on the couch and read.

Well, up until this year, I've always done all my SL reading at breakfast or lunch. Once my kids are done eating, they mostly play quietly with legos or color and draw. I also have a big supply of dot-to-dot and maze books that my daughter, in particular, enjoys doing. My daughter also has a knifty knitter and will sometimes do that while I'm reading. A potholder loom or play dough would be good as well.

I agree with the suggestion to break things up into smaller sessions and build up. This year, I am reading bible, history and science at breakfast and then saving our read-aloud for lunch.

Lisa

Ds never does anything but listen when I read (and never has). Dd needs something to do with her hands. She colors and does various crafts like latch hook and needlepoint. I don't like her to do anything that I think requires much thought or concentration. I'm afraid those things distract her from paying attention.

I'd also say, break up the reading time since this is new (or maybe even always break it up). We usually do about an hour in the am for Bible & History (and they help with some of the reading for Bible), and then 40 minutes or so before bed for lit.

Some years I read while they ate breakfast or lunch, and occasionally I'll still do that.

Enjoy! Merry :-)

First of all, if this is your first introduction to family Read Aloud time, don't count on an hour or two! Goodness, we're veterans at this and I don't even expect that of my kids! I'm lucky if I get through two chapters before my voice gives out and my Aspie kiddo gets distracted, although she loves to have someone else do the work! :grin:

Last year, during my son's Kindergarten year, as I read aloud I let him color, play with linking cubes, maybe even march around the room (quietly). He is a boy after all! My dd I let play with her LPS's or fiddle with something in her hands. If they want to sit by me, great. If not, I don't make them. Believe you me, they do listen, even while being active while you're reading.

HTH!

First of all, if this is your first introduction to family Read Aloud time, don't count on an hour or two! Goodness, we're veterans at this and I don't even expect that of my kids! I'm lucky if I get through two chapters before my voice gives out and my Aspie kiddo gets distracted, although she loves to have someone else do the work! :grin:

I guess it's not our first introduction... We do have a reading time right before bed, and if I just keep acquiescing to the "one more chapter" pleas, we can go for an hour or two easily. My husband had a night once where he read them, literally, half of "The Hobbit." But, then, they are also in bed, geared down for sleep, so I'm expecting it to be a bit tougher during the day.

I'm loving the suggestions, though. I'd never even considered things like silly putty, or even reading during a meal.

My boys 4 and 5 are very used to long periods of reading - mostly because we have always done it but also because we still do not watch TV or movies. BUT, we are doing school and Sonlight for the first time and they are not used to it and being little boys they have a lot of energy:D So we read a little 20 to 30 minutes and then get up and play with Playmobil or I have the table already set up with simple crafts to work at, then we read some more. If there is something like the history (Martin Luther) that they are fidgety with I read while they eat. I usually, especially with it still being so hot here, get them outside in the morning and after they have run around they are more ready to sit and read. We also have some good Haba games that they will play quietly with. Today we are going to the nature center and after we play we're going to do our reading on a blanket outside:) Hope you have a great year of reading with your children.