Menu

Help! Online calendar program?

One of my daughters has started community college and is really struggling with due dates, etc. She's ADHD and because of other disabilities cannot use a paper-and-pen system; she'll need something she can type in. She'll need to be able to set up alerts, so she doesn't miss appts, tests, etc.

She has Windows 7 on her laptop. Would Windows Live Calendar fit the bill? Is there a way to get the calendar without accompanying email program (not needed)?

Please help -- she's missing assignments, etc.!

Sandy

What's that thing NancyPants used to use?? I think she did her lesson plans on it, and her kids logged in and viewed their assignments? It was web-based, I think....I cannot for the LIFE of me remember what it was, though. I'm thinking it might be just the thing for your dd, and I'd like to revisit for myself, but I'm drawing a blank.

Anyone know?

astrid

Yes, Google Calendar! It's free and you can set up reminders from 10 minutes to a week in advance (very useful if you need to remember a term paper is due in a week, then in a couple days, etc.). It was so easy to set up so I get reminders on my phone too while I'm cooking dinner or whatever, I get a little chime to remind me to do something, even something I have set daily.

I know you said you are not interested in having to set up another email account but Gmail is free and a great email program to have. I use it mostly for junk email since I already have a well-established email address I give out to people I *want* to email me. I have my google email account set to receive things like weather alerts from a local tv station, and this is hooked up to my phone too. Just the other day we had a tornado watch, I got an email notice from gmail on my phone and was alerted to the weather situation, even without a radio or TV on.

Edited by OH_Homeschooler

Another Google Calendar fan here. I love that it will email me reminders. Also, I think it syncs with the iTouch calendar (haven't tried it yet) which I also love because I can set little alarms (two per event) to remind me of events. I love that I can set one alarm two days in advance so that I have time to gather materials I may need for the event or so I can plan a quick meal or something, and I can have a second alarm just before to remind me to head out the door.

Google calendar will sync with the calendar in the itouch. It's been REALLY helpful for me - I've managed to get rid of my paper calendar and the itouch fits much better in my purse (or back pocket ;) ).

The only thing that would make it better for me would be if I could have events be different colors on the same calendar (rather than having to toggle between different calendars). Then I could color code each kid (different hockey practices, etc) and family activities.

Google calendar will sync with the calendar in the itouch. It's been REALLY helpful for me - I've managed to get rid of my paper calendar and the itouch fits much better in my purse (or back pocket ;) ).

The only thing that would make it better for me would be if I could have events be different colors on the same calendar (rather than having to toggle between different calendars). Then I could color code each kid (different hockey practices, etc) and family activities.

You can show more than one calendar at a time. Each person in our family has a different colored calendar and I can show however many I want.

You can show more than one calendar at a time. Each person in our family has a different colored calendar and I can show however many I want.

I currently view all our different calendars at once while online at Google, but do you happen to know if I can view them all simultaneously and color coded on the iTouch? Generally speaking, technology hates me and since the iTouch calendar has been working well for me if I just type events into it directly, I've been afraid to jinx it by trying to sync it to my iTouch calendar. I'm a wimp. :tongue_smilie:

I currently view all our different calendars at once while online at Google, but do you happen to know if I can view them all simultaneously and color coded on the iTouch? Generally speaking, technology hates me and since the iTouch calendar has been working well for me if I just type events into it directly, I've been afraid to jinx it by trying to sync it to my iTouch calendar. I'm a wimp. :tongue_smilie:

I don't have an iTouch, so I can't help you there! (Wish I did have one, though :D)

I currently view all our different calendars at once while online at Google, but do you happen to know if I can view them all simultaneously and color coded on the iTouch?

You can. I have attached a screen shot of my calendar as I view it on the iPod Touch. The colors aren't as distinctive here as they are on my laptop (Hunter's calendar is purple, mine is blue. There is a much greater contrast on my laptop), but it hasn't caused any problems for me.

post-98-13535083887492_thumb.jpg

post-98-13535083887492_thumb.jpg