Menu

Gluten Free Pizza Crust?

You usually can't roll GF pizza crust, you have to "pat it." Instead, try putting a liberal amount of tapioca flour on your pizza stone and some more on the dough. Then, use as much tapioca flour as needed to pat the dough out into the thickness and shape you want. Prebake the crust for 8-10 minutes, then, when it has cooled, use a pastry brush to dust off as much of the tapioca flour as possible.

I use this recipe:

2c tapioca flour

2c brown rice

1/4 c potato starch flour

1/4 c sugar

1/4 c olive oil or melted butter

3 tsp xanthan gum

1 t salt

3 eggs

1.75 cups lukewarm water with 1 T yeast (allow to become frothy before adding to dry ingredients)

To make the crusts, use additional tapioca as outlined above. Bake 8-10 minutes then dust it off and add toppings and bake for another 8-10 minutes, or dust it off and freeze the untopped crust until another time.

If you don't like thin crust/crunchy crust, you can also do this: Instead of adding more tapioca, spray some foil with non-stick spray before adding part of the dough to the foil. Spray a rolling pin with more non-stick spray, then roll out the dough to the desired size and thickness. Allow it to rise, then bake the crust right on the foil -- don't try to move it off the foil.

HIH,

Lisa

Edited by Lisa in Jax

We use the Bob's Red Mill mix. I found that it's easier to work with if I generously sprinkle the counter and top of the dough with a gf flour mix before rolling it out. Monicle's Pizza also has a gf pizza. There are several in the Indy area. We always get ours at the Noblesville location and have never had a problem with cross contamination.

A recipie I got somewhere on the net:

1/2 cup yoghurt

1/2 cup GF flour mix

Mix, spread, voila! It's very easy and very yummy. We use a pizza stone, but it's not a good idea to put a GF pizza on a stone that has had gluten pizzas on it, I put mine onto baking paper and slide it onto the stone, it gets the benefits of the stone without the contamination.

I've not made it, but we used to buy polenta based pizzas from the market.

Rosie

We used to make a polenta like "pizza" - I had totally forgotten about that. I'd put polenta in the bottom of a baking dish, cover with sauce, sautéed onions, and cheese. It was very yummy. Oh, sometimes I miss cheese (well, the idea of cheese - my body doesn't miss it at all!).

I use this recipe which I modified from Carol Fenster's Special Diet Solutions

Pizza Crust

1 tbsp dry yeast

2/3 cup brown rice flour

1/2 cup tapioca flour

2 tbsp dry milk powder or 1 tsp non-dairy milk powder (I use sweet rice flour.)

2 tsp xanthan or guar gum

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp unflavored gelatin

1 tbsp sugar

2/3 cup warm water

1/2 tsp vinegar

1 tbsp oil

cooking spray

Preheat oven to 425degrees.

In medium mixing bowl using regular beaters (not dough hooks) blend the yeast, flours, milk powder, xanthan gum, salt, gelatin, and sugar on low speed. Add warm water, sugar, olive oil and vinegar. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. If the mixer bounces around the dough is too stiff. Add water 1 tbsp at a time until dough does not resist beaters. The dough will be soft.

Put mixture into a 12inch pizza pan or on a baking sheet (for thin crispy crust), 11x7inch pan (for deep dish version) that has been coated with cooking spray.

Liberally sprinkle rice flour onto dough then press dough into pan continuing to sprinkle with flour to prevent sticking to your hands. Make edges thicker to contain the toppings.

Bake for 10 minutes.

Remove from oven and spread with your favorite sauce and toppings.

Bake for another 20-25 minutes or until top is nicely browned.

Prep = 40 minutes. Serves 4.

You can do some spiffy things with nutritional yeast flakes. We buy the Lotus brand, and I caught dd eating out of the packet this morning. :glare:

Rosie

I've heard of that before. I'll have to look up some recipes. I did try a "ricotta" out of pine nuts, but the recipe was way too salty and I haven't tried since (pine nuts can be expensive! I had forgotten as we hadn't been buying them for a while).

A recipie I got somewhere on the net:

1/2 cup yoghurt

1/2 cup GF flour mix

Mix, spread, voila! It's very easy and very yummy. We use a pizza stone, but it's not a good idea to put a GF pizza on a stone that has had gluten pizzas on it, I put mine onto baking paper and slide it onto the stone, it gets the benefits of the stone without the contamination.

I so cannot believe this works as I use like 14 ingredients in mine....but I am willing to try.

I use a very similar one to Arch At Home's. I don't use the things in red, and I add in the things in green. I don't know where a friend and I found this recipe, so it may have been the book mentioned.

I use this recipe which I modified from Carol Fenster's Special Diet Solutions

Pizza Crust

1 tbsp dry yeast

2/3 cup brown rice flour

1/2 cup tapioca flour

2 tbsp dry milk powder or 1 tsp non-dairy milk powder (I use sweet rice flour.)

2 tsp xanthan or guar gum

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp unflavored gelatin

1 tbsp Italian herb seasonings

1 tbsp sugar 1/2 tsp honey

2/3 cup warm water milk

1/2 tsp vinegar 1 tsp cider vinegar

1 tbsp olive oil

cooking spray

Preheat oven to 425degrees.

In medium mixing bowl using regular beaters (not dough hooks) blend the yeast, flours, milk powder, xanthan gum, salt, gelatin, and sugar on low speed. Add warm water, sugar, olive oil and vinegar. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. If the mixer bounces around the dough is too stiff. Add water 1 tbsp at a time until dough does not resist beaters. The dough will be soft.

Put mixture into a 12inch pizza pan or on a baking sheet (for thin crispy crust), 11x7inch pan (for deep dish version) that has been coated with cooking spray.

Liberally sprinkle rice flour onto dough then press dough into pan continuing to sprinkle with flour to prevent sticking to your hands. Make edges thicker to contain the toppings.

Bake for 10 minutes.

Remove from oven and spread with your favorite sauce and toppings.

Bake for another 20-25 minutes or until top is nicely browned.

Prep = 40 minutes. Serves 4.