Menu

catching up ::sigh::

shinyhappypeople

I feel kind of like a loser-mom right now.

7 yo DD is a bright girl who is behind in math because (and only because) I couldn't get it together last year. We tried Singapore, a school text (I can't remember which one) and Miquon. I am a truly sucky math teacher so not a lot got accomplished.

Fast forward to the present. We've discovered Math Mammoth for her. Thank.you.God. She's finished (mostly) with addition 1 (mostly review) and we're drilling addition facts. She's in "2nd grade" and she's working on addition and subtraction of small numbers. How did this happen?!?

In fairness, she can add and subtract already, but not with fluency, so I decided to remediate her. And she can multiply (a little). And skip count by 2s, 5s and 10s. And count coins. So, it's not like she's learned *nothing* in the last 12 months.

I'm just kicking myself because she is *so smart* and I feel like I failed her. If I'd had a *clue* last year, she'd be so much farther ahead than she is now. If she were to re-enter PS today, she'd be slightly behind.

She doesn't understand: place value (none, nada, zilch), can't write numbers past a hundred, can't add/sub. double digit numbers.

OK, that's all. Just needed to vent. Please tell me I don't suck. This year is going so much better than last year. We *will* catch up, right? Or should I even be worried about catching up? We start where we're at and work from there, right?

*deep breath*

Thisisn'tarace, thisisn'tarace, thisisn'tarace.

Thanks for reading this.

:grouphug:

My 2nd grade 7yr. old ds used Math Mammoth last year and is repeating 1st grade math this year. Although he knows addition fairly well, skip counting ands such (osmosis from he siblings), he doesn't 'get' the whole subtraction thing, so we are using McRuffy Math 1st grade this year. I think all is fine. We (meaning you and I :D) can always work through the summer.

Nope, you didn't fail her. My ds son can't do double digits yet either. Just keep doing one lesson at a time and by the end of the year we'll be surprised at how much they learned ;)

Side Note: MM didn't work for us because of me, not the program. I work better with a more traditional type math program. I actually love MM and will most likely use it here and there with my dc (like next week with Josh to help him understand fractions)

Edited by Homeschooling6

My older son was unable to count to 10 reliably upon entering 2nd grade (and that was the extent of his math ability). He went on to begin algebra (with success) in 5th grade.

You will catch up. You may have to push for a while but it will be fine.

Edited by EKS

Well, she sounds waaaaaay farther ahead than my dd who will be 7 next month. She's my baby and my last child......and I just didn't push with her (I know it was mostly because I didn't want her growing up so fast). She is still woking on her Kindergarten McRuffy Phonics & McRuffy Math. And, you know what?? It's ok. I don't even care if anyone reading this thinks she is too far behind. She's doing just fine and all will be ok. I am confident it will be so with your dd.

FYI: We school year round (lightly in the summer) and don't start our new school year until January. So....we still have til the end of the year to finish K. :001_smile:

First, Please do not use the word "behind"! I hate that word lol. Your dd is in 2nd grade. She will be just fine! You have until 7th (and thats considered early) or 8th grade to have her ready for pre-algebra! She will be fine! My dd was WAY behind coming out of public schools when we started homeschooling. I had no clue because she was on the honor roll since 2nd grade when they started elementary honor roll in her school. We started homeschooling in her 5th grade year. When I got her 5th grade math curriculum she had no clue what to do. :001_huh: We went to 4th grade. Nope. Still lost :001_huh: So we ended up getting her a 3rd grade book :glare:. I got her a spiral curriculum so I could teach 1 concept from the 3rd grade book, then go to the 4th grade book, then the 5th grade book. (since I had them anyways) That took us 14 months to catch her up to grade level. Now she is in 7th grade doing pre-algebra. Your daughter will do just fine! Just pick up the ball and keep going. If you drop it again, pick it up and keep going!

Well, she sounds waaaaaay farther ahead than my dd who will be 7 next month. She's my baby and my last child......and I just didn't push with her (I know it was mostly because I didn't want her growing up so fast). She is still woking on her Kindergarten McRuffy Phonics & McRuffy Math. And, you know what?? It's ok. I don't even care if anyone reading this thinks she is too far behind. She's doing just fine and all will be ok. I am confident it will be so with your dd.

FYI: We school year round (lightly in the summer) and don't start our new school year until January. So....we still have til the end of the year to finish K. :001_smile:

:iagree:My six year old ds Lance, is my last one and he just barely started McRuffy Kinder phonics and math. I still don't want to start because this is it, I feel like he flying the coop or something:D

Well, I don't consider my dd7 to be behind and she hasn't started adding double digit numbers yet. We are finishing up MUS Alpha and also working through MEP Year 1. She skip counts by 2,5, and 10. Understands the concept of multiplication and knows some of those facts only because she gets on TimezAttack. She does know place value but only up to the 100 place. I have no problem keeping a slow pace with her. I know that she will be well prepared to do upper level math when the time comes because of the thorough education she is getting now. The way I see it, if you go slow now you won't have to go backwards later when things get hard.

You DID NOT FAIL!! :tongue_smilie:

Behind is a relative term. Behind, what exactly? I like to remember that there will always be children ahead of my DD, and there will also always be children behind her. Besides, as they get older they pick things up quicker, so she'll naturally accelerate.

If you are really concerned about it, just always do math. Even on breaks/summer vacation, keep doing math. Not everyday mind you, but try and do it at least a couple days a week from here until you feel like she has "caught up".

This reminds me of the Tortoise and the Hare...

She's 7yo. You are fully aware of her math ability and are teaching to *her.* There are a lot of 2nd graders in ps classrooms who are at the same level as your dd (or even further "behind") and they are being pushed ahead, but like the Hare, they will reach a point where they halt.

Your dd, with slow and steady work that is just right for *her* will beat many to the finish line simply b/c she just keeps taking the next step forward.

...but even if she doesn't, it isn't a race.;):D

:seeya: Hey! I just want to tell you that my 3rd grader was an ENTIRE school year behind in Math. We did 2 years of Math in 1 year last year. :tongue_smilie: She's caught up now, but it took a lot of hard work on her part.

I also have a friend whose niece was several grade levels behind in Math and the parents were able to get her up to speed within one school year also.

You're not alone and you'll be able to get her caught up! Finding the right math program is half the battle.

here is a great blog post by Harvey Bluedorn. I think he has a great point about delayed math instruction actually being beneficial. Note that I have not followed this method completely. We did informal math until age 8 and it seems to have helped my son be able to move more quickly now. Anyways, I guess I am just trying to point out that your 7 year old will be fine and that delaying math instruction can actually help the child to grasp it better and not hate math.

http://www.triviumpursuit.com/articles/research_on_teaching_math.php

I completely understand your feeling. While I can see what they other posters are saying in encouraging you that she isn't 'behind' etc - and they are right - I think what you are really feeling is that because of the way you've been teaching math and/or the curriculum you chose, she hasn't been able to progress in math at her potential. We all want our kids to work at their potential whether that is genius status or 3 grade levels "behind" and I know when I feel like my kids are not working to their potential because of something I'm doing or not doing, I feel awful. I've recently had that discovery myself with my youngest and math. It's a struggle subject for her and I kept trying to teach her the way I think math should be and the way it worked for my others who didn't struggle in math. As you can imagine - she's not gained the ground in math she should have - and more importantly - could have. So I chucked it all and got a math program that will work for her even though it isn't my favorite.

This is a lot of babbling to say that you aren't alone in feeling like there are things you could have done better. I don't think you suck AT ALL. At her age it will be very easy to get her back on the right track and if math is a strength for her she'll probably zoom her way right up to her level (and by that I mean the level she's capable of - completely unrelated to her grade).

And for specific curriculum recommendations.. I am a math person so I could teach MM. I can not imagine teaching it if I felt I was a bad math teacher. (my guess is you aren't a bad math teacher but you clearly don't feel confident based on you calling yourself 'a sucky math teacher') I would spend some time looking for something you can use at least for a few years that not only will fit your daughter but will give you confidence as a teacher so you don't end up feeling like a sucky teacher - because you aren't. Many people who don't feel super confident in teaching math prefer a more traditional approach - Saxon, Horizons, BJU, I'm sure there are a bunch of others but I can't think right now.

All will be well.

Heather

Aw, thanks so much mommas. Your comments are so encouraging. I'm feeling better this morning. I only let myself get stressed out when I looked at our state's academic standards for math. "Place value to 100s" is at the top of the list... for the *beginning* of the year. Uh... she hasn't mastered 10s/1s yet. :tongue_smilie:

We mostly unschooled last year, b/c she needed MAJOR deschooling time after her difficult kindergarten experience. She still made progress. But we're not continuing with unschooling, because DH prefers not to and it's not a hill I'm willing to die on, kwim? So, as I venture into the land of structure, grade levels and all that, it's just freaking me out a little.

Thanks again for the hugs and encouragement. It helps. :)

I think what you are really feeling is that because of the way you've been teaching math and/or the curriculum you chose, she hasn't been able to progress in math at her potential. We all want our kids to work at their potential whether that is genius status or 3 grade levels "behind" and I know when I feel like my kids are not working to their potential because of something I'm doing or not doing, I feel awful.

This is it exactly! You put it so well!