Menu

Reading level

gracesteacher

does anybody know...how do you score this...exactly?

Is it the wide range test? If you score 31, you are grade level 3.1. It has a flat bell curve, though, it scores high on the low end and low on the high end. I like the NRRF test better. The highest level on part 2 that you miss 2 or less words is your reading grade level. It is slightly lower than current norms since it is normed to reading levels in the early 1900s when phonetic spelling and reading were taught fairly well.

Don has both, and also I have them on my page, I can link later if you wish.

Is it the wide range test? If you score 31, you are grade level 3.1. It has a flat bell curve, though, it scores high on the low end and low on the high end. I like the NRRF test better. The highest level on part 2 that you miss 2 or less words is your reading grade level. It is slightly lower than current norms since it is normed to reading levels in the early 1900s when phonetic spelling and reading were taught fairly well.

Don has both, and also I have them on my page, I can link later if you wish.

Are you serious???!!!??? I just gave the words to my son and he just read up to halfway through 69. So according to this he is at a 6.5 level? My personal (inexperienced :tongue_smilie:) evaluation has him between late 3rd and early 4th. Mind you reading comprehension wise I can assure you he is not at the 6.5 level but that's another animal altogether right? I should try the NRRF, if you don't mind posting a link to it :).

Edited by Guest

Are you serious???!!!??? I just gave the words to my son and he just read up to halfway through 69. So according to this he is at a 6.5 level? My personal (inexperienced :tongue_smilie:) evaluation has him between late 3rd and early 4th. Mind you reading comprehension wise I can assure you he is not at the 6.5 level but that's another animal altogether right? I should try the NRRF, if you don't mind posting a link to it :).

Just posted above. But, the NRRF test is low overall...so a 6th grade score on it is today's 8th grade level.

They did not used to have grade levels, they just worked everyone through Spellers until they were done (a year or two, most likely) and then they were reading from their Bibles, which were usually the KJV or another older edition written around the 12th grade level.

I have gotten several inner city 3rd graders reading at a 12th grade level, it is not hard if you teach all the phonics you need to know and do some syllable work!

Just posted above. But, the NRRF test is low overall...so a 6th grade score on it is today's 8th grade level.

They did not used to have grade levels, they just worked everyone through Spellers until they were done (a year or two, most likely) and then they were reading from their Bibles, which were usually the KJV or another older edition written around the 12th grade level.

I have gotten several inner city 3rd graders reading at a 12th grade level, it is not hard if you teach all the phonics you need to know and do some syllable work!

Thank you for the info Elizabeth. You are always so helpful :)! I checked the link and although I have not had the chance to give the test to Adrian yet, it looks really easy to me knowing what he can do. There are only 3 words I can see slowing him don't a little but knowing him I know he will end up decoding them. I will do it with him tomorrow.

I have really pushed phonics with Adrian. He started reading just before turning four and we started HOP K shortly after that. He was done with HOP grade 2 just after turning five and we have also used Horizons Phonics (we are sticking with Horizons since I have been really happy with it :)), ETC, many leveled readers and even more real books from the library. I have not used a more systematic approach with him (like I feel vertical phonics is) but I have decided at this point that it was the best way to go since he is an early reader. I have now purchased the WRTR to add to the mix this year and feel comfortable in following the same approach with Malcolm (although I am suspecting Malcolm will probably start sooner).

I have downloaded Webster's Speller from Don Potter's website (I downloaded it a while back actually) but have not really gone over it. I want to do that when I get the chance (this will take time given everything I have on my plate right now :tongue_smilie:). My focus now (the area I want to put more emphasis on) is spelling. Even though Adrian appears to be a natural speller, I would rather his spelling not be based on memory alone and even though the way Horizons Phonics is set up it is helping in that area also, I am looking for more. I feel the WRTR will serve that need for me.

I have not bothered much with reading tests up to know because I don't really care much about his level. I know he is advanced and that has been good enough for me. It was more out of curiosity than anything else that I did the test with him. My reason for pushing phonics and reading at an early age besides the fact that he wanted to learn was that being a tactile/ visual learner he focuses more when he reads on his own and his comprehension level goes up. So basically I don't really care to have him reading at 12th grade now or by the time he is in third (although at this rate he will be there, I am pretty sure), what I care about is comprehension level and instilling the love of books and reading. The second we have already accomplished, as for the first his comprehension level is up there with the books I choose for him (between late 2th and mid 4th). I am hoping what we have been doing has served him well. I have found my goals have evolved quite a bit since we started just over 2 1/2 years ago.