Menu

$5000 gone with the wind--literally...

Well--make that wind and rain.

Last week we had a 'downdraft' that was pretty strong... we did not have damage (that we knew of)... but some neighbors did.

Last night the rain started (Hermine)... and just a few minutes ago the 'dripping' began... we have a MAJOR roof leak! House is a one story 3500sqft with high-pitch roof... DH is NOT going to be putting up tarps... insurance has a $5000 deductible... the area affected on the INSIDE is my kitchen!!!

Luckily for me DH was working from home today... he went up in the attic and there is LOTS of water there... so this saga is going to last a while.

Other than the high deductible at least we have good insurance!

Now to figure out where $5000 is going to come from..

Update.. my kitchen walls are melting! The worst one is painted dark red--so it is CREEPY!

I have 5ft tall upper cabinets--8 feet of them (until today I thought they were great!)...now the cabinet AND THE CONTENTS must come out--as well as the tile backsplash and most likely the oversize lower cabinets and the granite top too... it is going to be one HUGE mess:crying:

It does not help that I went major grocery shopping yesterday--and my cabinets/pantry are FULL!

On the bright side--the fridge is the only appliance in jeopardy--at least it will be easy to move to another location.

It is STILL raining--probably for at least another 12 hours... and to think last week I PRAYED for rain!

BREATHE!

Edited by Jann in TX

:grouphug::grouphug:

Well--make that wind and rain.

Last week we had a 'downdraft' that was pretty strong... we did not have damage (that we knew of)... but some neighbors did.

Last night the rain started (Hermine)... and just a few minutes ago the 'dripping' began... we have a MAJOR roof leak! House is a one story 3500sqft with high-pitch roof... DH is NOT going to be putting up tarps... insurance has a $5000 deductible... the area affected on the INSIDE is my kitchen!!!

Luckily for me DH was working from home today... he went up in the attic and there is LOTS of water there... so this saga is going to last a while.

Other than the high deductible at least we have good insurance!

Now to figure out where $5000 is going to come from..

BREATHE!

Misery loves company, right? Can I come join you? I'll match your roof leak with one A/C coil leak---minimum of $6K to replace. No insurance for such items. That's an awful lots of tutoring (you)/hours at the uniform store (me)!

For the sake of the hive, let's hope that there's no more room in this little boat we're sharing. :glare:

BTW....thread jacking commencing...ds and I started Ch. 2 in Geometry yest. We're doing OK with it, although I have to say that contrapositives make my eyes glaze over. :bored: Thanks for all your input!

Val

After being up in the attic DH thinks that the damage will most likely go over the $5000 deductible...ouch!

We have a local roofer coming to look at it in a few hours.

Luckily the rain is beginning to subside a bit. The dripping sound has dramatically slowed too (pots collecting water in kitchen and pantry).

FUN... NOT

We do have some savings--but were saving up for a family trip to Uganda next summer--now we get to start saving from scratch again--but at least we have the funds.

Oh--and we are getting ready to re-finance our (home loan) to free up more money for college (without making our home debt larger)... the appraiser was due out this afternoon!!! He postponed until tomorrow--so pray that the water damage does not show...

Jann--who has a soggy kitchen...:willy_nilly:

Be certain to video tape everything before you begin and as you deconstruct. You want to get that wet wallboard (and probably insulation) out before mold has a chance to set in. If the insurance adjuster isn't able to come out quickly, start the work, but record everything!

So sorry..:grouphug:

We have been living for three years with 7 big foil roasting pans all over our attic. They are catching drips/streams from our leaking roof. They are big enough that they can hold the water until it can evaporate out when it isn't raining. We are saving for a roof... it'll probably be another year.