Menu

Where in the world do you store tupperware type containers?

I am over run with little containers!! We use them a lot....to pack lunches, for little containers of food at home, etc. But we have all different shapes, sizes, brands, and varieties. We have lids going everywhere. Right now they are all spread out on my kitchen counter because I have no idea what to do with them. For years they have been overflowing my cabinets. Well, I'm done with that....they would fall out when we'd try to get something else out of the cabinet! Then I tried in a big box in the cabinet. But I couldn't access them easily that way. I could only see the containers in the top of the box. Ugh.

How do you guys store these things?

Mine stay a disaster since my ds is responsible for putting away dishes. My mom stacks hers in graduating sizes with the lids under them. I can never seem to get mine to stay that way. Right now I have a plastic shoe box (no lid) that I have been sticking lids in. The others I every once in a while get stacked but they are pretty haphazard right now. Every year or so I go thru and get rid of mismatched pieces or those that have been so used that they don't seal well.

My dh does dishes at night after dinner. He got tired of the tupperware mess so he gave all our away. Whaaa! He bought 2 sets of glass, stacking storage containers like these:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=189190&searchTerm=pyrex%20glass

The lids for the pyrex containers are kept in a large rectangle plastic bin.

He did save about 8 large tupperware bowls which stay nested on our shelf. The lids for the bowls are also kept in a large plastic bin.

I've only purchased containers (some Tupperware, some Ziploc and similar) that will nest or stack. I have 12 of one size, 8 of another, 12 of a third etc. I do have a few very large rectangle containers of two different brands. One set of rectangles, stacked together with its lids underneath, holds all the small container lids. The other set of rectangles holds odd shaped things that we don't normally use every day, like popsicle molds. For the larger normal-sized containers, I stack their lids next to the containers.

When we moved into this house a few years ago, I purged all the kitchen items that didn't "work" for me. I too was tired of containers and lids and cups and glasses and random plates all over the place. Perhaps you could do the same (without moving, of course :lol: )?

When I used plastic, I put them in the largest drawer. I always kept the lid on the container so I didn't have to hunt it down. If the drawer over flowed, they containers were gifted to someone else (usually with holiday left overs in them).

About 9 years ago I went to all glass. I buy the rectangular Pyrex containers. Since they are all the same shape, they nest easily in a drawer and the lids are next to them. I have 3 sizes of the identical containers so they all mix/match. I am sometimes tempted by other sizes but I know that they will only cause me issues in the drawer so they don't come home. :D

We have 5 matching containers that I send to dd3's school. They stack (with lids on) in the cupboard with the bowls/unique glass ware.

I do have a few larger containers in the pantry that are used for things like flour etc. They stay in their assigned spots even when empty so I don't have to look for them.