Menu

What is Laser Tag like?

I'm trying to talk dh into taking the boys to a homeschool group laser tag day while I'm gone on a scrapbooking weekend, but none of us have ever played before. He's afraid of getting laser beams in his eyes (he's had multiple eye surgeries and is very sensitive to light). So, do stray laser beams get in one's eyes while playing?

I don't think so--

Where we go, everyone wears rather heavy vests that have target areas on them. You have your gun, and then you wait for a few moments for the doors to the "arena" area to open. Ours is dark, but not pitch black, with lots of hiding places and paths to run on--temporary walls, iykwim. There is black light and lots of black light sensitive decor. Ours has stairs and is quite large. People run all around, peer out from corners, etc. I think each session is 15 minutes, but I don't remember.

The beams never bother me--but I don't look directly at guns, either--

Have fun!

Based on our experience, it would be worth checking out before hand.

A friend had a birthday party at a go kart/laser tag/mini golf place and my kids were looking forward to finally playing laser tag. It ended up really boring! They had a short time and there was a 'no running' rule! Laser tag and walking just makes a funny picture in my mind.

Now, if it was like the pp described my kids would love it!

As far as the lights are concerned, I'm guessing there is a release form that might describe any possible issues...again, it might be worth checking it out before hand. Even watching a round might give your dh an idea of how bright the lights are.

Laser tag is so much fun! I love playing it! The lights have never bothered my eyes. But I don't have particularly sensitive eyes or anything.

Great fun! Might have a kind of hazy atmosphere so light beams show. They're not "real" lasers.

The vests are a little heavy when you first put them on and the interior is dark. Most places have 15 min. sessions, I've found, then a break for scoring and taking a break, then another round of lasers. That's in the organized places like Laserquest or similar.

Ime, people take it as slow or fast as they want.

DD13 Says: Don't worry about the lasers. All industry standard sets use infra red, like your TV clicker. I should know, as I am building one myself. Any lasers are ultra-low power. Nevertheless, do not go for a head shot unless they give you a sensor hat with the vest. The infra-red will not damage your eyes. As to the no-running rule in most places, you should be allowed to walk fast. If there is enough cover, you shouldn't need to run anyway. Besides, you almost never see a soldier running when he is trying to hit something. It is a LOT of fun. This link has a lot of info about laser tag. It is mainly about DIY and non-commercial laser tag, but the basics in section 4 apply to every standard set.

http://fuzzycouch.com/lazertag/faq.html

Note: WoW here is not World of Warcraft. It is Worlds of Wonder, which was one of the most popular non-business oriented laser tag sets.

:gnorsi: