Menu

Going to San Antonio in 1 week (TX that is)

Yiipppeee! It is getting colder now in MT and the warmth is going to be great. If anyone has any must see things to do would be greatly welcomed! We are going down for my stepdd's boot camp graduation.

We are going to SeaWorld (inspite of having watched the movie the Cove which absolutely discusts me!!!)

What else????

Former San Antonioan here....

Sea World will be a blast, and the Zoo is an absolute don't miss! I know the Alamo and all are traditional, but I always found them really boring. Going on the river might be fun, but eh....with an 18 month old not where I'd make my priority.

There is a children's museum in New Braunfels that is wonderful. McKenna, I think. It's not big, but it's one of my favorite children's museums ever. There is also a Natural Bridge wildlife ranch where you can feed zebras and stuff from your car, but you guys may have had enough wildlife in MT, so I don't know. It's kinda cool though. The Witte Museum has a science treehouse that is neat, but I don't know if it's worth it.

There are also a lot of nice playgrounds, and there used to be a library over on Culebra (NW side) that had an awesome collection of puppets and fish....

Natural Bridges cave and Wild Animal Park are a short drive from there. Both are worth the trip.

Schlitterbahn is an amazing water park.

The 6-flaggs there is one of the best....

Riverwalk, San Antonio Childrens museum......

We really liked the Alamo - so I would go there....

If you have studied the Alamo/seen the movie/anything I WOULD go. Sure, its a bit boring (no rides or animals to see) but its a huge part of history and does not take a great deal of time. And you are coming a LONG way

You know your 18 month old... We took my son on the Riverwalk when he was 21 months old and I was VERY nervous. There are no railings between the walkway and the water. And strollers are difficult due to the steps everywhere.

Former San Antonioan here....

Sea World will be a blast, and the Zoo is an absolute don't miss! I know the Alamo and all are traditional, but I always found them really boring. Going on the river might be fun, but eh....with an 18 month old not where I'd make my priority.

*slaps hands over ears* LaLaLaLaLaLaLa!!!

Ya gotta see the Alamo if you're going to San Antonio!

There's a missions tour, as well.

Don't miss El Mercado:

http://www.sanantonio.gov/dtops/marketsquare/mercado.asp?res=1280&ver=true

Yeah, I was always anxious with my kiddos on the River Walk. It tends to be VERY crowded and there are no railings.

The children's museum in New Braunfels is WAY nicer than the one downtown.

Schlitterbaun is a great water park. It's just hard to say if it's worth it with kids that age.

You hook up with me for a playdate :lol:

Seriously, I love down the street from Sea World, so we spend alot of time there. It is only open on the weekends. The zoo is lovely and there is a nice park right next to it. The Botanical Gardens are supposed to be great. My kids love the Alamo - I had my littlest in a carrier and put dd3 in a stroller because the Riverwalk is nerve wracking. The children's museum is also in the same area and is supposedly much improved.

The Alamo is much more interesting if you go first to the IMAX movie on the Alamo first - it's somewhere nearby - can't remember exactly where.

If you go to Six Flags, they will refill water bottles for free so bring one for each person. When we went in early August they had signs all over the place saying that you could pay $10 and go back the next day. This was not on their website and I don't know if they'll have the special when you are there.

If you bring a stroller to the River Walk, bring a very lightweight one, because you're going to be carrying it up and down stairs. If you can get by with a carrier instead I highly recommend it.

BTW I disagree that the Alamo is boring. When I went I didn't expect much, but as it turned out I was really awed by it. Visiting was a very solemn and emotional experience. I'd love to go back.

The Mercado is fun too if you have the time, and there are tons of things for little ones to see. There's a huge Mexican restaurant/bakery there with crazy decorations (I forgot the name, it's impossible to miss). The food is fine (if you're not from CA, NM, AZ or TX it will probably seem great!) but it's worth a visit for the atmosphere. Pick up a couple things from their bakery on your way out.

BTW, it's probably going to be HOT. It's not unusual for it to get to 100 degrees in September, so dress accordingly. Oh and bring rain gear too. A major TX rainstorm is like nothing I've ever experienced.

My DH and I went to the Alamo many moons ago. We weren't that thrilled with it.

Fast forward. Last year, we were studying the Alamo in school. We went to SA - saw the IMAX movie re: the Alamo (highly recommend it!) then went to the Alamo with DS. We all enjoyed it very much.

I think knowing a fair amount of history behind the Alamo adds to your appreciation. And the audio option adds quite a bit to the tour.

When we were in SA last year, we had planned on going to Sea World but the weather was drizzly and we decided not to chance the weather at a $$ place. We opted to go to the zoo instead. The zoo was very nice. I'm not sure if they have the butterfly habitat open still, but that was wonderful.

We loved Natural Bridge Caverns and drive-through wildlife park.

If you get a chance to drive out of the city, I highly recommend Enchanted Rock, one of Texas' best state parks.

You have to do the riverwalk. It is so neat. Take an umbrella stroller for your 18 month old. One person can easily fold it or manage it on a few stairs if you need to. Do NOT take a full size stroller. I have gone on the riverwalk with a big double stroller - you have to go up to street level via elevator, and then you have to find another elevator to get back down, but you may get turned around and end up on the same side. It isn't hard to navigate with an umbrella stroller...or a sling. ;) No worries. ;) You have to eat somewhere on the Riverwalk, and take a tour on one of the tour boats up the river.

The Tower of America's is fun too. You can go up the needle and get a birds eye view of San Antonio. They had a 3D movie there when we went and it was neat. It had effects too...blowing wind, etc to make it more real.

I love San Antonio.

Have fun!

Vicki

I loved the San Antonio zoo too. They have a great kids area. They even had a swimming area with a beach (meaning sand to play in), and the swimming area was like 1 foot deep. Your little ones will love it if it's hot, and it very well may be, so bring swim gear there. The SA zoo is well worth it!