Menu

Ewww... Creepy call from a "collection agency"

I usually don't answer my phone during the day, and I never answer the phone when it's an obvious telemarketer on the caller id, but this company--Allied Interstate--has been calling me twice a day for the last three days. So like an idiot, I answer it so that I can tell them to quit calling me. An obviously foreign man, who completely butchers my name, informs me that he is from the Allied Interstate Collection Agency, and he is calling about my unpaid Compuserve debt.

First off, I haven't had Compuserve since I can't remember. It's been at least eight years, maybe longer. Second of all, I always paid my bill. So I say something like, "Oh please--I haven't had Compuserve in about 10 years. Do not call here ever again." I then hung up.

Has this ever happened to you? Is it a scam, or do I need to get a credit report because someone is using my name/info? Ugh.

Even if there was a debt somehow, the statue of limitations has likely passed. The number of years varies by state, but you can look it up. There are collection agencies out there buying very old debt for pennies on the dollar in hopes of collecting something.

I had 2 debt collectors calling me twice a day for about 6 months once for my late Mustang payment (I wish I had a Mustang!) and some store credit card (for a store we don't even have in our state!!!) They had the right name and the right birthday but I finally got through to them that it wasn't me. I had to fax them a copy of my Social Security card to prove it. They wouldn't believe it wasn't me. This was about 10-12 years ago. It was very annoying to say the least!

Get a credit report (I think you can get it on the internet) or call one of the credid reporting companies and see if it is on there. Hope you get it fixed.

Just a warning Allied Interstate- they are the biggest pain in the butt. I agree with the others about getting a credit report, but they will call over and over again...You have to threaten them to the hill until they finally leave you alone! They have called me in the past 4 times a day...every single day, for weeks on end! I hope that this ends for you! But I have a feeling they will be calling you again!

We have credit companies calling us all the time. It is always for a man in town with the same name as dh. They don't have his phone number, it is unlisted, so they just take what the white pages give them for the name and call. I do not give them any information. Do NOT give them your social security number to check to see if they have the right person!!! Have them tell you the last 4 digits of the person they are looking for, that will let you check. If it is the wrong person, ask them to not call back. I've been able to give place of employment for the guy they are looking for. Makes them very happy.;)

I had 2 debt collectors calling me twice a day for about 6 months once for my late Mustang payment (I wish I had a Mustang!) and some store credit card (for a store we don't even have in our state!!!) They had the right name and the right birthday but I finally got through to them that it wasn't me. I had to fax them a copy of my Social Security card to prove it. They wouldn't believe it wasn't me. This was about 10-12 years ago. It was very annoying to say the least!

Get a credit report (I think you can get it on the internet) or call one of the credid reporting companies and see if it is on there. Hope you get it fixed.

You faxed them a copy of your Social Security card ? I don't think that is an advisable thing to do. They could have been scamming you just to get that info for fraudulent purposes.