Menu

Monday Morning Giggle

*I FIXED the link to strip it of the FaceBook crap*

Remember Johnny Cougar ---> John Cougar ---> John Cougar Mellencamp ---> John (Cougar) Mellencamp ---> John Mellecamp?

Check out John Cougar's backup dancers at what I think is the 1981 AMA Awards. Don't take your eyes off the "dancers." :tongue_smilie:

I think it's a big thumb to the nose at his record company (the friction was no secret by this point), though maybe he had a sense of humour back then. The "Hurts So Good" vid had some interesting choreography as well.

Anyway, this I've never been much of a fan, but I do like "Ain't Even Done with the Night."

Edited by nmoira
fixed link

I didn't know about the tension with the record company (was it all about his name?) but he was definitely sending a message to someone. :D
The name came from his management company, not the studio. Mellencamp had been kicking around for a few years... had a minor hit with I Need a Lover (later covered by Pat Benatar). He didn't like the direction he said he was forced to take in 80/81... too poppy, too produced... he felt marginalized. I wonder whose idea that haircut was. :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, this I've never been much of a fan, but I do like "Ain't Even Done with the Night."

WHAT??? Not a fan of "The Coug?" I dunno. I pretty tolerant of most things. You can have your religion, politics, curriculum, school choice, yada yada, but come on!!! Ya gotta love "The Coug!!" ;)

I am curious about the back story. You're right, there was def. a message being sent.

WHAT??? Not a fan of "The Coug?" I dunno. I pretty tolerant of most things. You can have your religion, politics, curriculum, school choice, yada yada, but come on!!! Ya gotta love "The Coug!!" ;)
I leaned more the The Clash in the early 80's... and thought American Fool was just silly. My 14-ish year old self was deadly earnest back then. :tongue_smilie:

:lol: I have to say though - that is some of the lamest choreography I have ever seen. Was it deliberate or typical for him at that time (other than the interesting gestures that is)?

I won't say how old I am but I remember all the name changes when they happened. I was never a big fan but liked the songs he would have on the radio (Jack & Diane, Hurts So Good) or MTV (back when MTV actually played music videos).

Was it deliberate or typical for him at that time (other than the interesting gestures that is)?
These are the same guys from the
, but the choreography is more, ummm, inspired a the AMA's.

Ahhh... I don't know why I didn't think of it before. The guys appear to be his band at the time. I guess that's one way to make sure they get paid even when you're forced to lip-synch.

How can a non facebook user see this?

:tongue_smilie:

Grrrrrr. Sorry about that... I'd originally posted on on FB, and when I grabbed the link I didn't realize that FB messes with it like that. I fixed the link up top.

Of course, the downside of my inexplicable fascination with the "dancers" (other than spousal ridicule) is that I now cannot get the song out of my head, and my kids think I'm a bit dotty, as all of a sudden I'll do a Johnny-Cougar-style lurch.

:eek: