Menu

Missing my Dad

My Dad died one year ago today. The recent threads about childhood regret coupled with this have been on my heart. I loved my Dad but he was not a good father. His whole life was taken over by his alcoholism. He was abusive to my mother when they were married and I know that I missed out on so much as a kid. When I see my dh with my daughters, sometimes it makes my heart hurt because it drives home exactly all that I missed with my Dad. This morning though, all I can think about is that I wish I could feel his arms around me and his rough voice calling me Daddy's little girl just one more time. It makes the childhood stuff and all of his failings seem much less monumental.

I'm so sorry. I can relate. My dad has been gone a little over a year now as well and also wasn't a great father. He cheated on my mom, verbally abused me, and turn his back on me several times throughout my teen years. The regret coupled with grief is so weird. If you ever need to vent, feel free to pm me.

Oh, Jenni. :grouphug:

I'm so sorry that you lost your dad. Even when they are not great fathers, there is always a special place in a daughter's heart, I think, for her Daddy.

The best gift you've given yourself is forgiving him. I hope you can teach your heart to rejoice in the daddy your girls have, and know that your dad would have been that to you if he could.

I don't know what I would do if I lost my dad. We have our moments, but I love him so much. I'm so sorry, honey. I am crying with you today.

Thanks everyone. I got through the day with only a few breakdowns.:001_smile:

My relationship with my Dad was complicated but I know that despite his faults, he loved me. That helps me find some peace with the past. I hold on to that and try to remember the ways that he showed me and not the ways that he didn't.

To the previous poster:

I am SO glad that you at least had a speaking relationship w/ your dad.

MY dad lives 10 minutes from me and still we are not on speaking terms. I would MUCH rather hold a loving father in effigy than have a living, breathing, parental unit that I cannot stand to bring my children around that lives a few miles from my front door.

It is a sad and lonely situation, indeed.