Menu

I haven't been on here for a while.

I haven't posted for a while 'cause my life is crazy! As some of you know, my dh lost his job in Feb. after 21 years due to a mill closure. Immediately following the job loss he had one surgery followed by another two months later. All these events precipated a boute of depression and, honestly, I thought there were days I wouldn't make it myself. Normal life stresses, parenting stresses, unemployed dh streses, illness stresses and the need for me to go to work full time in order to put food on the table. All while homeschooling.

We seem to be slowly coming out of the pit. We were able to go out of town to visit relatives for two weeks in August . . . family wedding to attend. I don't know if it was the act of leaving the town (which is in a state of depression itself) but whatever it was my dh said he felt the dark cloud lift and he has a renewed hope in life. He is 48 and when the mill he worked at closed its doors he felt he was unworthy, too old, etc, etc. Thankfully that feeling is leaving him. In fact, he has signed up for a two week industrial first aid course beginning tomorrow that will give him a ticket. I would really ask for your prayers in this time. He hasn't been to school in a hundred years so I am very nervous. It's intense . . .M-F 8:30 - 4:30 plus 4hours homework each night (and he has to drive an hour each way).

He is thrilled so I am praying that he can keep the pace and gets through this course. I would hate for him to fall back into the pit (oh me of little faith). He's like a new man . . . I told him he has to date me again, 'cause I don't know him!

And I have joined the league of full time working while full time homeschooling mom. Yikes! Not what I expected but necessary. I mourn the loss of having to give up some things . . . like Latin, although the kids do have 3 years of it already in their coffers. Mostly I need prayer for energy to keep the pace and patience. And that I can keep up a quality education for my kids. PS is not an option where we live (there is one, just not one I can send my kids to at this time).

Anyway, I thought I'd post an update. I do come on here for at least five minutes most days and have kept up with the buzzing in the hive but don't have a lot of time to post.

Life is a journey. . .

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I did not always handle things as well as I could have. We definitely were traveling uncharted territories and at times I felt like we were sinking fast.

Even though our circumstances haven't changed, i.e. I still have to work even though my dream was to stay home until the kids finished high school, and my dh is still unemployed, the lift in my dh's spirit has changed everything. He has some hope for a future.

I have not had to handle significant depression in my immediate circumstance before this . . .it was an eye opener on many fronts . . . and has definitely given me some empathy for people dealing with depression. . . and we only dealt with it for half a year.

I don't know what's ahead but I figure with what we've weathered, we're up for the journey (I just hope the waves are a bit less choppy from here on in . . . I'm a wimp :))

Rose!!!

So good to "see" you and get the update. We've been wondering how everyone in your town is doing - I've been away this summer and we haven't heard much about the situation there, but I can only imagine a lot of people are struggling right now.

I'm glad to hear your husband is feeling better, too. A job loss is hard on anyone, but particularly in those circumstances. I'm glad he's looking forward now.

You are definitely NOT a wimp. I think you are heroic!

Above all, as you move through this time, remember that nothing has to be perfect. You do not have to be the perfect wife, mother, homeschooler, etc. Just do your best and give yourself lots of breaks and pats on the back. Your kids will be fine because they are loved and because you care so much, you can't help but do a great job, even with one hand tied behind your back!

Be sure to ask for help - you don't have to do any of this alone. How is the homeschooling group near you? Still going strong? What grades are your kids now?

Hi Rose! I have thought of you often and hoped you were well and surviving the difficult circumstances! I should have pm'd you when I though of it!

Big :grouphug: and prayers! I will pray that your dh will keep up with this new class and keep up the more positive outlook. They say "when mama ain't happy..." but I disagree. I think mama is happiest when her family is happy. Keep your chin up!