Menu

Is there a pic thread of Homeschool Kitchens?

We are blessed to be able to homeschool in our kitchen. I need some ideas/ pics of other homeschooling kitchens.

My hubby, of all people, wants to organize the homeschooling items in a way that doesn't look "tacky". Can you believe that?! :lol: I love that man.

Our everyday books/ school supplies would be in the kitchen. Other books and supplies would be in our family room. I would just like to have everything within arms reach (I am lazy). :D

So, please share ideas, pics, and LINKS!

I need more caffeine.

I thought your post said "homeschool kittens." :lol:

Our 'kitten' (really, an old, fat, lazy cat) always schools with us, but she is more of a nuisance than anything else.

We homeschool in what was suppose to be a formal dining room, but we had removed the chandelier and lined the walls with bookcases long before DS came along. It makes a nice little 'nook' to homeschool in. I just wish it was set off with walls, as we have an open floor plan and I'm not all that satisfied with having a school table visible as soon as you walk in the house. Oh, well. It works. It is nice and sunny - has a lovely window. I have a mess of a garden right outside that window (again, planted long before DS came along) and I just realized today that I need to redo that garden space so it is more 'exciting' for school.

I need more caffeine.

Our 'kitten' (really, an old, fat, lazy cat) always schools with us, but she is more of a nuisance than anything else.

LOL!! We used to have a homeschool kitten!:D Back when I was about 8 years old, my little kitten would sleep in my mom's large shirt pocket (the kid where there's an opening on each side of a single pocket in the front) while we did school! Sweet memories:)

Sorry, derailing... I don't have a homeschool kitchen so I actually have nothing to contribute to the topic at hand!

Well, I don't keep supplies in my kitchen. We do work at the kitchen table, and I do let the kids hang up some pictures they make on the closet doors and whatnot, but school supplies are all kept in the next room (computer room/den, whatever you want to call it). That's where I have a closet dedicated to homeschool and craft stuff, my computer, a cabinet also dedicated to homeschool/craft stuff, a couple of bookshelves, etc.

I grab what I need for the day or the morning or a few things at a time or whatever and carry it into the next room (kitchen) each day, and put it back when we're done.

Well, I don't keep supplies in my kitchen. We do work at the kitchen table, and I do let the kids hang up some pictures they make on the closet doors and whatnot, but school supplies are all kept in the next room (computer room/den, whatever you want to call it). That's where I have a closet dedicated to homeschool and craft stuff, my computer, a cabinet also dedicated to homeschool/craft stuff, a couple of bookshelves, etc.

I grab what I need for the day or the morning or a few things at a time or whatever and carry it into the next room (kitchen) each day, and put it back when we're done.

This is what I've been doing... I am just SO LAZY! :blushing:

We have a pretty large eat-in kitchen and it also has a portion of our homeschool. I have a baker's rack with clear plastic boxes on the bottom 2 shelves for things like play dough, art supplies, some math manipulatives, etc. I line up our notebooks across one of the top shelves. On the "table" part of it I have a small 3-tiered shelf where I keep my teaching guides. I also have a stand alone pantry from big lots that we use as a supplies cabinet, so we can close the door and it still looks nice. The walls have pocket charts for various things. I also have a lego table set up and play kitchen. Then ther's a kid size table and small book shelf for them to keep their "work." This is all around our kitchen table. I don't have a picture, but might be able to get one. It might look junkie to some people, but it works for me and my kids are young.

I need more caffeine.

Our homeschool "kitten" is a fat, middle aged scaredy cat. She plops herself down into a dining room chair when we start our math lesson and stays there most of the morning (unless she's trying to climb into our laps for some attention or talking to the birds outside, or...).

We are blessed to be able to homeschool in our kitchen. I need some ideas/ pics of other homeschooling kitchens.

My hubby, of all people, wants to organize the homeschooling items in a way that doesn't look "tacky". Can you believe that?! :lol: I love that man.

Our everyday books/ school supplies would be in the kitchen. Other books and supplies would be in our family room. I would just like to have everything within arms reach (I am lazy). :D

So, please share ideas, pics, and LINKS!

Well, since your hubby is offering....he could do what my DH did...build a school pantry! OUr little breakfast area has a pantry lined with shelves where we keep the school stuff. We have a rolling cart with pencils, pens, paper, etc.

When we school, we roll the cart out by the table, and keep the pantry door open to go in and out for our stuff.

When we're done, we put the books away, roll the cart in, and close the door.

We also put up art ledges and put framed maps of the continents up. We can pull them down as needed and then just set them back up there when we're done.

Here's the pic of the breakfast area:

maps001.jpg

Sorry it's so blurry. The door is to the pantry.

Here's the larger view of the kitchen from the living area. The breakfast area pictured above is to the left of this frame. You can see the pantry on this end is the mirror image of the pantry in teh breakfast/school area:

kitchnandwhatcolortopaintliving003.jpg

Well, since your hubby is offering....he could do what my DH did...build a school pantry! OUr little breakfast area has a pantry lined with shelves where we keep the school stuff. We have a rolling cart with pencils, pens, paper, etc.

When we school, we roll the cart out by the table, and keep the pantry door open to go in and out for our stuff.

When we're done, we put the books away, roll the cart in, and close the door.

We also put up art ledges and put framed maps of the continents up. We can pull them down as needed and then just set them back up there when we're done.

Here's the pic of the breakfast area:

maps001.jpg

Sorry it's so blurry. The door is to the pantry.

Here's the larger view of the kitchen from the living area. The breakfast area pictured above is to the left of this frame. You can see the pantry on this end is the mirror image of the pantry in teh breakfast/school area:

kitchnandwhatcolortopaintliving003.jpg

I LOVE your kitchen! :001_smile:

We don't hs in the kitchen, but we do hs right off the kitchen, in the sunroom. It is visible to all visitors and doesn't have a door to close off.

Dh doesn't want me to put up any maps or timelines or whiteboards. I have worked around that. FWIW: We plan to sell the house next year and DH's big concern is that he just patched and painted the area and doesn't want to have to do it again.....he isn't opposed to actual learning! :lol:

I have also heard people talk about putting magnetic paint on the wall and covering it with the regular color pain for the wall. YOu can't even tell it is magnetic unless you have stuff magnetized on it sticking to it.

I wish I had done that before painting the sunroom, but at the time, we were using a different room for schooling and it didn't even cross my mind.

Dawn

We don't hs in the kitchen, but we do hs right off the kitchen, in the sunroom. It is visible to all visitors and doesn't have a door to close off.

Dh doesn't want me to put up any maps or timelines or whiteboards. I have worked around that. FWIW: We plan to sell the house next year and DH's big concern is that he just patched and painted the area and doesn't want to have to do it again.....he isn't opposed to actual learning! :lol:

I have also heard people talk about putting magnetic paint on the wall and covering it with the regular color pain for the wall. YOu can't even tell it is magnetic unless you have stuff magnetized on it sticking to it.

I wish I had done that before painting the sunroom, but at the time, we were using a different room for schooling and it didn't even cross my mind.

Dawn

magnetic paint?! wow... this is VERY intriguing!

I bought an antique pie safe similar to this, but old

http://www.plowhearth.com/product.asp?pcode=6848&cm%5Fmmc=merc%5Fdatafeed%2D%5F%2Dproduct%2D%5F%2D6848&mr%3AtrackingCode=E916862B%2D308A%2DDF11%2DA0C8%2D002219318F67&GANTrackingID=plowhearth%5F546711025

We keep all of our supplies in there. It is open during school time and closed with everything put away when we are finished. Each child has a shelf in the mud room next too the kitchen for notebooks and a rolling 3 drawer unit for folders, books etc. that get rolled away after school work is finished and stored in the office. By dinner time, school disappears!

I really enjoy having school based in the kitchen, although truthfully much of it happens on the coach, the deck and other places. I don't enjoy seeing all the supplies all the time. The set up we have works for us.

In the old house I had homeschooling stuff up everywhere so when we moved into this one we didn't want it to overrun us again. We tried a schoolroom in the basement but I'm not the schoolroom type. So back up to the kitchen/dining room.

I have a dry erase board on one wall that can be easily taken down if we are hosting a family dinner. I found cheap matching night stands at a garage sale that I put under the windows on either side of the french doors.

Excuse the mess and bad picture quality (I meant to get better pics but the battery died):100_1282.jpg

Books we'll use but not everyday are stored underneath. Art and stationary supplies are stored in the drawer. Each stand has a dish rack on top that holds their daily work with a little utensil bucket that holds little stuff they use daily like a pen, pencil, eraser, etc. Not exactly hidden away but not overwhelming either.

I also bought each child one of those huge cardboard, project display boards. I'd read about mini-offices a couple of years ago and always thought it was a neat idea and finally modified it for what we need now. Since I don't want to hang anything on the walls it can all go on the project boards. Stuff like number lines, French words, maps, etc. that in the old house I would have just tacked up on the wall. I plan to stick on some clear page pockets and some envelopes to hold information they might need on a more temporary basis. They love the idea and it also screens out distractions for them. I don't always use them but when I do they're easy to set up on the table and when we're done we just fold them up and hide them off in a corner.