Menu

First week of school is NOT going well

Its our first week, I have a TON of laundry to fold, more to do, dinner has been insanely late everynight so far. Its 12:45 right now and we are only 1/3 of the way done with our school day. My dd's volleyball coach has decided practice should be at 6am instead of 3:30pm like it started being. So getting everybody out of bed, getting there- letting her practice then getting home and trying to start our day- its just not working.

Sorry-- I guess I just needed to vent, now I am off to fold laundry since the kids will be outside until 1, then we need to get going again :crying:

Our first week has been rough, too. We're all mildly sick, but that makes us all tired and very cranky. The school we've done has gone pretty well but I've had to cut back from what I had planned.

I think I may do that. Just do half a schedule for the first 3 or 4 weeks. I dont rememeber things this bad any other years. I have 3 students this year but good grief, my 3rd is just kindergarten! That cant be why this is all bombing! K is pretty easy and light... <sigh> Kids back in-- back to school. :001_huh:

:grouphug:

What I have learned is do what you can and let the rest go. For years I would stress out about not getting it all in. Now as long as we get the basics in, I'm happy. All the rest is gravy.

I see that you all have two math programs going, I don't know how you schedule it all in but if you have to, use only one for now. You can always add things in later.

As for laundry and such, I would do my own chores after school. When my dh can he will fold a load before bed as well. The children are a big help too. They do their own (although there are times when it falls on mama) for the most part. This year my 7yr. old is accountable for his own laundry. I'm teaching him right now before school starts ;)

Anyway, homeschooling is a full time job, talk to hubby and see where he can pitch in as well. Have a family meeting and let the kids know that you need their help.

Sorry, I know you're not asking for advice and to tell you the truth, I'm scared :eek: we start back a few weeks and I'm now officially schooling six children:blink: so I have been filing, organizing, having meetings with the children about their household responsibilities and such. Eeeks!

Sorry you are having a bad first week. We actually had a great first week back and then we had a family emergency that took full time attention from dh and me (dragging the kids along for the ride) that ended up taking more than a whole week. So we did one full week back, 3 days the 2nd week and then a whole week off for the 3rd week. We are back to school full time this 4th week a little behind, but no worse for the wear.

Anyway, just feeling sympathetic! It is still early in the year. We have plenty of time to get our bearings back! Hope the rest of the year goes smoothly for you!

Guest Barb B

AH - laundry folding can be done by dc! Especially by the 7th grader and 3rd grader. My kids by 3rd grade help with cleaning. By 3rd grade mine help by cleaning entire bathrooms (ok - maybe not the shower cause they can't reach all around!). Dusting, vaccuming, folding.. . even help with dinner can be done by kids. THink of it as home ec.!

Barb

Barb

Edited by Barb B

Oh, my, I'd be looking for a different sport if it were me!!! :) Bleah!!

So far we've had one morning-only week, then 3 full days before strep struck, and now we've done a full week. I still haven't figured out how to get dinner on the table in time... We were only off for 6 weeks, but I think it's going take another 6 to find my rhythm again and not take all day to get our learning done!! ::glare:

It will get better!

I feel your pain. Two of the three I am hsing this year are already behind. We are doing stuff in the evening just to get caught up. WE haven't even added history or foreign language to our schedule yet either. I don't know what needs to be done. I am not sleeping well so it's been hard to get up before 8am for me. I wish I had someone to motivate me, but in the ten years I have lived here I have not made any good hsing friends.

I am praying for you and I. I think I am going to pull out my MOTH book and see what I can do to get back on schedule.

OK so here are my thoughts after reading suggestions while dc (3rd &7th) are at the table finishing math.

I am thinking about doing the basics Monday through Thursday and the extra's Friday. Do you think that would actually be a do-able plan and they would actually learn enough of the "extras"

By extras I mean

Trail Guide to World Geography (both girls)

Logic (7th grader)

Latin (both-- or should latin be more than once a week?)

typing (both girls)

health (7th grader, she is almost done with the book then she is done)

LoF (7th grader)

Would that work if we spent extra time on those subjects? Or would that not be enough? Plus finish anything (if there is anything) that didnt get done during the week?

That would mean M-Th they would do

Bible

Math

English

History

Science

Reading

Spelling (3rd grader)

Vocab (both) just vocab cartoons, nothing extensive- they get plenty of vocab with everything else!

What are your thoughts on this?

BTW- I think the parents are way to tired at 6 am to say anything- though I am planning on asking if this is going to continue!

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

6 am? Oh my. Aren't the parents rebelling?

Laura

I would be!

I'm sorry, but I hope that things smooth out for you! I think the last 5 weeks are starting to catch up with me. We took today off and I think tomorrow, too. We'll start fresh next week. Good luck!

What I do is plan/schedule a four day week. I attached my 5th graders schedule as a PDF, it is really a spreadsheet, so I can move things around pretty easy.

This week we have everything planned for 4 days but in the past I have had Science or Music or somethings combined. Either on the same row or put in X's to cross off some days.

We usually do school on 5 days, but this way we have some wiggle room. And since it says Day 1-4 instead of Mon- Thur that makes it even more flexible. Really they could do all 4 days of math one day or some combination of subjects and days, but usually we use it more as a loop, trying to get all of the first day marked off before we work on the second column.

I don't think some of those Friday subjects lend themselves very well to one day. Typing and Latin seem like the two big ones. And if school isn't getting done some of those things you have doubled up maybe should be put on hold- vocab, LOF, geography.

I also agree that maybe having the kids step up with chores might really be where help is needed. They should be able to fold laundry and make dinner.

Lincoln2.pdf

Lincoln2.pdf

Edited by Mallory

We are just finishing our second week and it has all been quite nasty. For some reason, school is taking forever to do. Usually we are getting done between 3:00 and 4:30 and that does not include history or science. :confused: I shudder to think what this is going to look like when my oldest is in high school. By 2:00, I am a dishrag.

I have decided to take a week, probably every 3 or 4 weeks and just do history and science. That will be my week to regroup.

Regarding the 6:30 practice, my weary body hurts for you. If that practise time is going to be a regular, is it possible to ditch it or is this something your dd has her heart set on?

For me the basics are Language Arts (writing, spelling, etc) and math. History and science are gravy. My kids get so much history with listening to audio books.

I would cut down on the math. At least for now. Can the Shakespeare be more of a Friday thing? Having SOTW on cd? If using SOTW can you omit Trail Guide for another year?

I guess what you might want to do is write down what is most important to your and work you way down.

Another thing I have learned is to relax. If you didn't fit everything in you still have tomorrow. Like I mentioned before, I use to stress and was always in a hurry. Now I'm more relaxed, meaning it's okay if we missed something. We can pick it up again the next day. An example here at homeschooling6. We have a full schedule but it started to rain, I let the kids stop schooling and splash in the puddles and try to make a waterproof fort. Did we finish our lessons that day? No, but learning how to make a big splash is important too:D

I am a volleyball coach, and I can't believe your dd has 6am practice. Is it for the entire season? I have seen other coaches do it for a week or two for preseason, but we don't even do that. None of our coaches want to get up that early either!

WHo is doing the Latin? We get together for block teaching once a week, but the dc (7th-9th grades) work independently every day.

My 3rd grader and 7th grader. My k'er is doing Song School but he is a whole different story :001_smile:

I am a volleyball coach, and I can't believe your dd has 6am practice. Is it for the entire season? I have seen other coaches do it for a week or two for preseason, but we don't even do that. None of our coaches want to get up that early either!

Can my dd be on your team? I dont know if its for the whole season or not. I am planning on asking but I have a bad feeling it might be because its from 6-7:45 am and school starts at 8:10 (she is playing with the public school, that is allowed here) So just based on the times it looks like it. School starts next week and its for sure next week and the week after. The coaches told us at the parents meeting that they were not morning people, and then the next thing we get is the practice schedule in the mail with the times :confused:

My dd has drill team practice every other morning at 6 AM and on the off mornings she has ballet at 5 AM. Yeah. :glare: She also has drill every other day after school...except on Wednesday nights when it's from 6-9 PM.

This is our first week of school, and I'm still working out the kinks. I'm making a new batch of freezer meals next weekend and that will help tremendously with meal prep. Chores get done between assignments...."You work on those math problems and I'm going to throw a load of laundry in." I try to follow a pretty strict housekeeping routine, but some days it works better than others. Hopefully I'll catch up this weekend and next week will run more smoothly. In theory. :lol:

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

We keep schooling through the summer, and we actually prefer the early morning swimming practices. While one child swims, the other do school on the bleachers. I figure we have to sit there any way, we may as well do something productive. This is where filing is invaluable to me. I have everything filed and I just pull it out and stick it on their clipboard. Then school is portable, no matter where life takes us.