Menu

I have a confession

I'm wondering if you need a support group. I have a friend from college days that was over weight...very over weight. She tried every diet...even a liquid diet...and, would lose weight just to gain it back plus more. She finally joined Over Eaters Anonomous. I bet she lost 150 pounds and has kept it off!

That's really encouraging! I joined a group a while back as I had around 80 pounds to lose. Lost 20, quit the group, and then couldn't keep it going. I've just started trying again but without a group I am struggling. If you don't find a local group to join in person, how about creating one on this board? (if the moderators are ok with that!)

I know what you mean. You are strong and can do anything Jean, even if you have to do it again. You.are.not.alone.

My confession....I was shocked/able yesterday to get back into my favorite pair of jeans. They were on their way into the donation bag and I had to try them on. Okay, sounds good...my happy me moment. However, I have them in the wash now because I know they will not fit through the winter. So I plan to wear them every day until they don't fit or because I can't eat much in them.

All or nothing...

I tried this but for me I am an all or nothing person. If I nibbled on the weekend it would be near impossible to stop Monday morning.

They say that confession is good for the soul, but I think your confession has helped some of us here to be more aware of what we're sitting on as we read this board this morning. :tongue_smilie: I know I need to get OFF mine! :D Thanks for the shove.

You have motivated me to keep going to the Y. I have been meeting my aunt there 3 times a week all summer. I was thinking of quitting because it is so hard to do - we meet at 5:30 and go until 6:30-7. Dinner time. Now that we are doing school again it is so hard.

But I am going to figure out how to make it work.

Thanks!

Glad to be helpful :D

Quiver...I'm wondering if you need a support group. I have a friend from college days that was over weight...very over weight. She tried every diet...even a liquid diet...and, would lose weight just to gain it back plus more. She finally joined Over Eaters Anonomous'

I did find a local meeting not too far from me. I really should go atleast to check it out. It might be just what I need.

I know what you mean. You are strong and can do anything Jean, even if you have to do it again. You.are.not.alone.

My confession....I was shocked/able yesterday to get back into my favorite pair of jeans. They were on their way into the donation bag and I had to try them on. Okay, sounds good...my happy me moment. However, I have them in the wash now because I know they will not fit through the winter. So I plan to wear them every day until they don't fit or because I can't eat much in them.

It is conforting knowing I am not alone. I will be thinking and praying for all of us struggling with this.

My grandpa and his mother, my great-grandma, both chose to eat whatever they wanted, though they knew they were overweight, then pre-diabetic and then diabetic. They both died of that choice.

When my dad turned 40 he was honest with himself about his family tendency, he started walking 5-6 miles every day, and he vowed he wouldn't let himself get diabetes because of extra weight. I am so proud of him for taking care of himself, and I feel that it is a loving gesture to me, too. He wants to be around and healthy.

Your kids want you to be healthy, too. Don't be hard on yourself. Take care of yourself.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Blessings on your efforts, and may every mouthful be real food!

:grouphug: We all struggle with something. No need to blush. :001_smile:

Do you have a picture of yourself after you lost the weight to put on the fridge? Would that motivate you?

I haven't had a chance to read through all the replies, but just wanted to send you a :grouphug:. There is no shame in admitting that you are struggling.

I wanted to add that my mom used a picture of herself at her heaviest as a motivator. She taped it to the fridge and it helped her lose 60 pounds. Use whatever works!

I'm very sorry I didn't keep off the 25 lbs I lost a couple years ago. I'm in the same exact boat as you!

For me, I think I just got motivation: the church is having a new directory with photos in November. Do I want to look like I do now or a little thinner in that family photo which will last a long time....

Actually, I need the motivation of others, too. So I'll be heading back to my SparkPeople groups. I need someone to run with, and have a good friend online to do that with.

Been reading this thread with interest and conviction.... Jean, I empathize with you, and am glad you spoke out here. I was just remembering the other day that, while I've fought the battle for as long as I can remember (I'm from a line of women that gains very easily and wears the majority of it on the hips and legs), the worst has been w/in the past 8 years since moving here. When dh got out of Active Duty Army and we moved here, I was overweight, but only by about 30 lbs and I'd been consistently fighting it and either losing or maintaining. Immediately after we moved here, our lifestyle changed drastically so I had tons more stress, financial problems, AND I got pregnant. I gained 40 lbs during that pregnancy (hit the 200 mark for the first time in my life), and I'm still carrying that extra 40 lbs. I lost 32 lbs about three years ago with an online group that doesn't exist anymore (maybe the same group with which you lost yours, Jean?), but it was SO STINKIN' HARD. I kick myself every single day for letting it come back on. :crying: :banghead:

I know what I need to do to get it off again -- or at least I think I do -- but when I think about how hard it was to lose that 32 lbs, it just makes me want to curl up in a ball and cry. I seem to have lost my "oomph" to want to go through all that... and yet, I can't stand this 40 lbs I've been carrying for the past 8 years, either. Plus, I'm the only overweight person in our church and circle of friends IRL... :blush:

I can't afford the weekly expense of Weight Watchers, but I sure could use some help/motivation/daily/weekly encouragement from somewhere! Anybody want to start a group? :bigear:

For me, I think I just got motivation: the church is having a new directory with photos in November. Do I want to look like I do now or a little thinner in that family photo which will last a long time....

I just found out that the church we're attending now does a "church family" group photo at Christmas. And I'm the biggest person there. :(

Quiver, first of all :grouphug:. I am in the process of losig weight. My goal is to lose 108 pounds and I have lost 39 so far. What I know is that following fad diets or diets with too few calories is just a set up for failure. The only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you take in. So, you need a calorie deficit and you need to do some exercise. Period.

I count calories and I have accepted that I will have to do this for the rest of my life if I want to be healthy. It isn't a burden, it is FREEDOM. I have no foods that are off limits because I know from past experience that having forbidden foods makes me want them all the more. I practice portion control by weighing and measuring - does it take time? Certainly, but it is worth it!

I DID develop type 2 diabetes because I waited too long to get healthy. My blood sugars are in the normal range everyday now and I am not even at goal weight yet. My blood pressure has gone down some already too. My goal is to look good, but more importantly to feel good and be able to go on a bike ride with my kids or run around the back yard kicking a soccer ball without wanting to pass out 5 minutes later! It makes me sad to think of all the things I could have been enjoying with my kids if I wasn't so darn fat and unhealthy. But, I won't go there because the important thing is I am going in the right direction.

I started April 21st of this year and as of this morning lost 39 pounds. Seems slow, but I am doing it this way because I refuse to be unrealistic. I eat on average 1800 calories a day. Other people might say that is too many, but I say 1200 is too few. Larger people need more food in the weight loss process or they will just hit a wall. At my starting weight of 258 there was no way I could stick to a 1200 calorie plan!!! That is not enough. I use www.fitday.com to track my food and exercise. It has a calorie calculator and will tell you how many calories a day you can eat.

I hope you get inspried to get healthy and stay healthy! I know how hard it is, but it just boils down to you DECIDING that enough is enough. There is no magic formula - except for burn more calories than you eat - that's it!!:grouphug:

Jean, how did you lose the 100 lbs, anyway?

At first it was by eating low fat foods and exercise. I cut out all baked goods, chips, fried foods, soda, coffee ( hardest to quit lol) etc. I started walking 10 min a day at first. It slowly morphed into a low fat, high fiber vegan diet and I was walking 45-60 min a day.

I am not sure I will go back to vegan or even all vegetarian again but I do think high fiber is a key for me.

My grandpa and his mother, my great-grandma, both chose to eat whatever they wanted, though they knew they were overweight, then pre-diabetic and then diabetic. They both died of that choice.

When my dad turned 40 he was honest with himself about his family tendency, he started walking 5-6 miles every day, and he vowed he wouldn't let himself get diabetes because of extra weight. I am so proud of him for taking care of himself, and I feel that it is a loving gesture to me, too. He wants to be around and healthy.

Your kids want you to be healthy, too. Don't be hard on yourself. Take care of yourself.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Blessings on your efforts, and may every mouthful be real food!

My mother's side of the family has diabetes. My aunt died a few years ago at the age of 62. At first she had an infection on her toe. They amputated that, then her foot, then her leg. She was blind the last few months before the infection finally killed her.

I keep thinking that she was 62. I am almost 42, so twenty years. My youngest will only be 27. I don't want to miss my grankids. I need to do this now.

Been reading this thread with interest and conviction.... Jean, I empathize with you, and am glad you spoke out here. I was just remembering the other day that, while I've fought the battle for as long as I can remember (I'm from a line of women that gains very easily and wears the majority of it on the hips and legs), the worst has been w/in the past 8 years since moving here. When dh got out of Active Duty Army and we moved here, I was overweight, but only by about 30 lbs and I'd been consistently fighting it and either losing or maintaining. Immediately after we moved here, our lifestyle changed drastically so I had tons more stress, financial problems, AND I got pregnant. I gained 40 lbs during that pregnancy (hit the 200 mark for the first time in my life), and I'm still carrying that extra 40 lbs. I lost 32 lbs about three years ago with an online group that doesn't exist anymore (maybe the same group with which you lost yours, Jean?), but it was SO STINKIN' HARD. I kick myself every single day for letting it come back on. :crying: :banghead:

I know what I need to do to get it off again -- or at least I think I do -- but when I think about how hard it was to lose that 32 lbs, it just makes me want to curl up in a ball and cry. I seem to have lost my "oomph" to want to go through all that... and yet, I can't stand this 40 lbs I've been carrying for the past 8 years, either. Plus, I'm the only overweight person in our church and circle of friends IRL... :blush:

I can't afford the weekly expense of Weight Watchers, but I sure could use some help/motivation/daily/weekly encouragement from somewhere! Anybody want to start a group? :bigear:

I did lose a part of it on that group, which there is another one going but it's a bit different. PM me if you want info.

A group would be a great idea. Anyone else interested?

I started April 21st of this year and as of this morning lost 39 pounds. Seems slow

Fantastic job!!!

I lost about 6 pounds a month when I was losing. Some months a bit more, some less. I do think slow and steady is better than fad dieting.

Now for me to keep at it.

how about limiting your nibbles to weekends only? You can have treats, but try not to go overboard.

I tried this but for me I am an all or nothing person. If I nibbled on the weekend it would be near impossible to stop Monday morning.

I'm exactly the same way. I would love to be an everything in moderation kind of person, but I don't know how to train my mind to be that way.

I did look at the C25K and did day 1 LOL but hurt my knee that week. I can walk fine but running bothered it. I am going to try it again once my knee is better.

I did C25K with a friend last spring. I had to start it off with two weeks of pure walking to ease into it because I knew I was way too out of shape to get out there and run, even for one minute, right away. I ended up only making it through week 4 of the plan, but I would like to start back up this fall when the weather cools down a little. (Running in TX heat in August is NOT FUN!) :ack2:

Jean, thank you so much for sharing this. It can be so easy to hide behind the computer and not "show our warts," but look at how much you've inspired people by being transparent in this one area.

I have about 40 pounds I need to lose (plus an extra 10 I would like to lose). I've thought so much lately about the way I've approached weight loss in the past. I've always had "a plan," then when the weight came off, I didn't need the plan anymore and I went back to my old habits. I feel like God has given me kind of a new mentality for weight control lately: Lost in the Spirit. The only way my extra pounds will be permanently lost is when I am lost in the Spirit and make HIM my "new plan." That way I never get to a point where I don't need "the plan" anymore. So I guess I'm learning that it's all about living a life of surrendering to the Lord and allowing Him to be my Master rather than food. (Which sounds all find and dandy, but that's soooo stinkin' hard!!!)

Anyway, I've really wanted to start making some Lost in the Spirit posts on my blog to journal my thoughts and hold myself accountable, and I think you've just inspired me to do so. I don't know whether it will lead to weight loss. I certainly hope so! But even if it doesn't, hopefully it will help me learn a little more about what it means to just abide in Christ.

Thank you so much for inspiring me, and I pray you will successfully take these pounds off and keep them off! (And me, too! :001_smile:)

http://www.sparkpeople.com has made an enormous difference in my life. It's free and the articles, encouragement, support, flexible fitness plans (with video clips of hundreds of exercises) and personalized meal plans are fabulous. Watch the introductory video clip and the video tutorial so you can get the most out of the site. It's a community just like WTM and was started by a wealthy man who just wanted to help others. I've lost 20 pounds so far and still have a lot to go and much to work on in terms of my emotional eating, but this is the first time in years that I've taken weight off and kept it off. If you join, send me a note here so that we can be friends.

(I didn't read all of the replies.)

I highly, highly, highly (can I say that enough? :lol:) recommend Good Calories, Bad Calories, by Gary Taubes. (http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-Bad-Controversial-Science/dp/1400033462/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282924837&sr=8-1) It gets a bit technical, but Taubes has done an amazing job of presenting over 150 years of diet research, why we believe what we do about diet (such as fat being bad, or that all that's required for weight loss is more exercise/fewer calories) and why it's not borne out by the research. Fascinating and paradigm shifting.

There's fairly good (though depressing) evidence that people are overweight not because of sloth or gluttony, but because their bodies are starving (in spite of ample fat stores) and demand more calories (particularly carbs). If they don't get them, the metabolism slows down (so weight loss, if any, stops, and tiredness ensues). :glare: The most important thing I learned is that insulin drives fat storage and carbohydrate intake (esp. refined carb intake) drives insulin. Obviously the book goes into much, much more detail.

I love that Taubes doesn't do the typical 'this is sooo improtant, blah blah blah, millions of testimonials, blah, blah, blah, repeat myself a million times' thing so many authors do. He gets straight to the point, and each chapter supplies new information. I can't recommend it enough.

As a side note, since reading it I've cut nearly all sugar/white flour/refined carbs from my diet (and am eating almost exclusively whole foods). I had about 40 lbs. of post-baby weight (accumulated from 5 babies) that wasn't going anywhere...even losing one lb. was incredibly difficult, and I've never managed even as much as 5. After cutting the refined crap, I've lost 10 lbs. in the last two months, almost effortlessly. (Most of that is off of my abdomen/hips/butt/thighs, which is pretty weird for me...that's usually my fat's last hold-out.) Dh has also lost about 2" off his waist, although he stands in no need of weight loss. I'm eating plenty of fats and proteins from healthy animals, and including whole grains and fruits/veggies. No hunger, no fake foods, no calorie counting...such a relief to know that it wasn't a matter of 'self control' and that my body can lose weight! I've had fun experimenting with recipes, and my kids have commented that since we've stopped eating sugar, the food around here has gotten yummier. Double yay! :)

Anyway, I may be a wee tad fanatic about this right now because it was such a revelation to me. :D Stop beating yourself up about this. :grouphug: I pray you find the solution that works for you. :)

I've always had "a plan," then when the weight came off, I didn't need the plan anymore and I went back to my old habits.

I can really relate to this. This is where I fail everytime. I need to learn to eat healthy for life and not diet. A cookie every now and then isn't going to hurt as long as I am eating healthy otherwise. It can't be an either or anymore.

http://www.sparkpeople.com has made an enormous difference in my life. It's free and the articles, encouragement, support, flexible fitness plans (with video clips of hundreds of exercises) and personalized meal plans are fabulous. Watch the introductory video clip and the video tutorial so you can get the most out of the site. It's a community just like WTM and was started by a wealthy man who just wanted to help others. I've lost 20 pounds so far and still have a lot to go and much to work on in terms of my emotional eating, but this is the first time in years that I've taken weight off and kept it off. If you join, send me a note here so that we can be friends.

I do use sparkpeople to track my food and exercise when I am eating well. I will PM you.

:grouphug: I'm in the same boat. I lost 50 pounds several years ago. When I started dealing with my dd's depression, I gave up. I have gained 60 pounds. :blink: I hate it! I feel terrible about myself. Simple stuff like bending over to tie my shoes or cut my toe nails has become a struggle.

My recent kick in the pants was our family vacation. We went on a short hike (2 miles) and I thought I was going to die. Yes, it was 95+ degrees at an altitude 5,000 feet higher than where we live but I couldn't go more than 10 feet without stopping. I was so mad at myself! I WANT to be able do simple things like this with my kids without worrying everyone that I'm fixin' to kick the bucket. My family wants to visit Mesa Verde, but I think my DH is postponing the trip because he knows I'm not physically capable.

Jean, best of luck to you. I know what a struggle it is.

I can really relate to this. This is where I fail everytime. I need to learn to eat healthy for life and not diet. A cookie every now and then isn't going to hurt as long as I am eating healthy otherwise. It can't be an either or anymore.

I can feel your pain. Several years ago I lost 50 pounds by being very "careful and watchful" of what I ate. Then a couple of stressful years hit and I couldn't (and didn't want to!) devote the time/energy to keeping track of what I ate. Slowly, all that weight was regained.... sigh.

*However*, I have (in the past 2 years) made two "simple" (not easy, just not "complicated") lifestyle changes and have lost forty pounds (and can wear the same clothes as when I lost 50!). I qualify for the National Weight Registry because I have successfully kept it off (and am still slowly losing). I tackled the two prongs of good eating/good health: food and exercise.

1. Eating: I began (and continue with ) following the NoS diet approach to eating. This is not so much a "diet" in terms of telling you what to eat/not eat, but learning GOOD EATING HABITS. The beauty of this is that the longer you ingrain the habits, the easier it gets--so when life hits hard, the habits keep you--I am able to maintain during holidays, month of guests, etc. Another way of looking at it, is that you are learning "maintenance" skills and that is the hardest part of any weight loss success...

I could say a lot more about NoS, but instead I will direct you to the website. It is worth reading. http://www.nosdiet.com

Also, while there, poke around the NoS diet forums. If you want, you can look in the "testimony" forum and see my 2yr Progress report (same user name as here).

2. Exercise: Due to age and various injuries, I cannot engage in heavy/vigorous exercise programs. I can, however, WALK. So I have made that my exercise of choice. I bought myself a pedometer and it has been one of my BEST health-related purchases ever.

I followed the advice to get a baseline of steps: what I averaged in a day without making any effort to get in extra steps. I was shocked to discover I averaged only a paltry 3,000-3500 steps a day. I made the commitment to slowly increase my steps (+500/month) in everyday life. Eg., I've learned to take the laundry upstairs instead of always getting one of the kids to do it. At the same time, I began to choose to walk more to accomplish errands. (We live in a city where I can safely walk). Lastly, I invested in a few walking DVDs to get my step counts up when the first two prongs (daily life, errands) just aren't going to be enough.

The first year, I managed to increase my average to 7,000 steps per day. Now, in my second year, my daily life "baseline" averages around 5000 steps/day. To get more steps in, I go on errands and/or use a DVD. This month, with the nice weather we've been having, I've averaged over 12,000 steps a day. I plan to make at least 10,000 steps all winter....

If you decide to use a pedometer, there is a great tracking site here: http://www.10000steps.org.au/

You can join challenges, record your steps, see all kinds of averages and benchmarks with just a click of the mouse...... I discovered this site in April of this year and it was a thrill (childish perhaps, but a thrill nonetheless) to see that I "earned" a Million Steps certificate by mid-July.....

Anyway, I hope you check these out and glean what you can. The best plan is the one that works. These have worked FABULOUSLY for me; perhaps they will for you.

HTH,

Funny, I just started a thread about needing a weight loss buddy. I hadn't seen this one yet. I lost 60 lbs. in a year and have gained 5 - 10 back. I'm trying to do something about it before I gain it all back. My encourager moved and I've been in a serious rut ever since. I'm under tons of stress so it's hard to not eat, eat, eat. No words of wisdom here other than I feel your pain!

Funny, I just started a thread about needing a weight loss buddy. I hadn't seen this one yet. I lost 60 lbs. in a year and have gained 5 - 10 back. I'm trying to do something about it before I gain it all back. My encourager moved and I've been in a serious rut ever since. I'm under tons of stress so it's hard to not eat, eat, eat. No words of wisdom here other than I feel your pain!

If you are interested there is a newly created getting( and staying) healthy social group. http://welltrainedmind.com/forums/group.php?groupid=125

Edited by Quiver0f10

I can feel your pain. Several years ago I lost 50 pounds by being very "careful and watchful" of what I ate. Then a couple of stressful years hit and I couldn't (and didn't want to!) devote the time/energy to keeping track of what I ate. Slowly, all that weight was regained.... sigh.

*However*, I have (in the past 2 years) made two "simple" (not easy, just not "complicated") lifestyle changes and have lost forty pounds (and can wear the same clothes as when I lost 50!). I qualify for the National Weight Registry because I have successfully kept it off (and am still slowly losing). I tackled the two prongs of good eating/good health: food and exercise.

1. Eating: I began (and continue with ) following the NoS diet approach to eating. This is not so much a "diet" in terms of telling you what to eat/not eat, but learning GOOD EATING HABITS. The beauty of this is that the longer you ingrain the habits, the easier it gets--so when life hits hard, the habits keep you--I am able to maintain during holidays, month of guests, etc. Another way of looking at it, is that you are learning "maintenance" skills and that is the hardest part of any weight loss success...

I could say a lot more about NoS, but instead I will direct you to the website. It is worth reading. www.nosdiet.com

Also, while there, poke around the NoS diet forums. If you want, you can look in the "testimony" forum and see my 2yr Progress report (same user name as here).

Interesting. I read through the site briefly this morning but plan to spend sme time looking around the forums. Thank you and congratulations on the weight loss!