Menu

I have a confession

About a year ago, maybe a bit longer, I posted here how I lost over 100#s. Well I have gained a lot of it back, not quite all of it, but close enough.

I lie in bed every night regretting that I didn't stick to a healthy eating plan during the day and vow to start tomorrow. Repeat the next day. I know how to diet, I know what to eat and what to avoid, I know I need to exercise and have the equipment to do so. I even have a gym membership.

I am worried about diabetes and have enough risk factors for it to be a real concern. So what is my problem!? I seriously need to get motivated and I am hoping that coming clean with you all is step one.

Hitting submit with a red face :blush:

I understand! A year ago today, I got serious. In a "short" time, I was down 43 pounds. I was able to keep it down until we started traveling. So my weight has climbed up a little and now has come down a little. I think that I netted about 30 pounds which isn't bad for the year, but still.

Anyway, I refused to buy bigger clothes (well, and being unable helped). So I had to get back to it!

Just another consideration, you may need to see if you have any underlying issues you're not even aware of. A year ago, I read Jon Gabriel's book and though some of it is too hokey for me, I did finally figure out what my underlying thing was. It wasn't even particularly huge. Bit it allowed me freedom from such a bad relationship with food.

But it does take ongoing mindfulness regardless. We don't have to be perfect, but if we can focus on eating well and getting what our bodies need, we'll crave less, overeat less, etc.

HTHs a little...you're not alone.

Edited by 2J5M9K

About a year ago, maybe a bit longer, I posted here how I lost over 100#s. Well I have gained a lot of it back, not quite all of it, but close enough.

I lie in bed every night regretting that I didn't stick to a healthy eating plan during the day and vow to start tomorrow. Repeat the next day. I know how to diet, I know what to eat and what to avoid, I know I need to exercise and have the equipment to do so. I even have a gym membership.

I am worried about diabetes and have enough risk factors for it to be a real concern. So what is my problem!? I seriously need to get motivated and I am hoping that coming clean with you all is step one.

(((hugs))))

How are you otherwise? Haven't seen much of you lately.

Sorry.

I am in a similar boat--having lost 20 lbs over two years with healthy eating and exercise (no dieting) only to gain it all back in 2-3 months. For me, the culprit, I believe, was largely insomnia, which sounds surprising. I've read that it messes with other hormones including those that affect one's appetite, making a person feel hungry when they don't actually need more food. (My bp rises whenever I go through a period of insomnia, as another example of its effects) Combine that with a crisis at work that absorbed all my "personal" time, left me somewhat depressed, etc. and it was astounding how fast the pounds flew back on. I was not eating large quantities of food, but my actual activity level each day was lower and bam. It's very discouraging. I, too, am trying to undo it and start all over again.

Prov 24: 16 for though a righteous man falls seven times, he rises again,

but the wicked are brought down by calamity.

Just an encouragement to rise again, even though it's so hard after you fall.

:grouphug:

I struggle with my weight, too.

My issues with not losing weight are these...

I eat to comfort myself. I am a lonely person. I don't have a lot of IRL friends and DH is gone for days with work. DD is a social older teen - cheerleading, friends, sports, etc.- and is gone doing her thing. I eat to comfort myself when I feel alone. Chocolate and potoato chips are friends, right? DS is like me - a homebody.

I eat when I feel I have no control. I tend to react to things instead of being proactive and that often leads to me feeling overwhelmed and out-of-control. I eat to soothe the anxiety and to give myself a sense of power.

I tend to find excuses not to exercise. I break my toes a lot - I am currently nursing a broken big toe and a shattered little toe (opposite feet). It is very easy to use my toes as a reason for sitting down and not moving. Right after the most recent breaks I gained about 30 pounds. I still have about 10 to lose. My toes ache every day. I am going to be one of those old ladies who can predict the weather based on bone pain.

"Take the umbrella, sweetheart, it's going to rain today"

Thank goodness I have found bike riding. Biking does not make my toes hurt. I can ride for miles and be pain free. Tennis kills my feet but it is my passion and I play it anyway. Not as often as I like but I play.

Homeschooling has been a mixed blessing for me. It is too easy to stay home and study, watch an educational video or read another book instead of getting up and moving. DS and I have vowed to make earning PE credits a priority this year.

--

I am turning 40 soon and I want to be healthy and have a good time. I tend to do better when I have some competition to work toward, hence all of my little challenges this summer. I am planning on doing some kind of challenge every month for the next year. Hopefully, the extra weight will be gone and I will be healthy and happy.

Jean,

I have let my weight climb this last year and I feel awful about it. Like you every night I was going to bed resolved to get back on the exercise/eatling well wagon in the morning. By morning, my resolve was gone. Last week I realized that all the resolve in the world at bedtime was getting me no where.

So, I have had to change my attitude literally to one day at a time. I have to have the resolve in the morning to do things right. I must get my exercise done first thing in the morning or it won't get done. I force myself to do it. However, once it is done I have set in motion a momentum for better eating and healthier living for the rest of the day. When you see how hard you have to work in the morning to burn an extra 100-200 calories, you don't want to mess it up with chocolate chip cookies later (well, you do, but...).

I guess I am trying to say that the path you follow first thing in the morning is that path you take for the rest of the day, so perhaps finding the resolve in the morning (or forcing yourself, like I have to) will help get you back on track.

Yup, I have to struggle NOT to eat too much everyday - SUCKS! :ack2: I've gained back 15 lbs and am on a mission to lose it again. Atkins/Southbeach and walking/WiiFit everday.

In the meantime, I have to watch my 16yob eat anything and everything; he's 6'2" and weighs 168lbs. My dh eats everything too (I weigh more than my dh)!

It's not fair! :thumbdown:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I admire you for having the courage to start this thread, and hope it gives you the motivation you need to get re-started on a healthy lifestyle, but mostly I hope that you're able to find a way to stop beating yourself up over the things you didn't do to maintain the weight loss. You're still a good person, whatever you weigh, and whether or not you're working out and eating all the right things.

:grouphug::grouphug:

Cat

Thank you all. I really appreciate the replies. I am an emotional eater too and this last year has been rough. I have lost weight before and put that weight back on too. I need to find out why I keep losing and regaining and break that chain. I was thinking about joining overeaters anonymous. I found a local meeting but havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t been brave enough to attend yet.

Here's the thing: 95% of people who lose weight on a diet regain the lost weight (and sometimes more). Research shows that even when they stay on the low-calorie diet, people start to put weight back on. The diet industry does a great job of convincing people that they are just not trying hard enough and need to stick with it - but in fact, a huge body of scientific research shows that dieting doesn't work for very long.

The good news is that you can make significant improvements in your health, comfort, and physical abilities without weight-loss dieting. Exercise increases your cardiovascular fitness and decreases your diabetes risk even if you don't lose any weight. The same is true for a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains - it has health benefits even if you don't lose weight.

So I recommend making changes that will make you feel good and improve your health, without worrying as much about the pounds. It's called the Health at Any Size movement, and it has been shown to have very good results.

Man, Jean, I am so sorry for that. Makes me remember that a diet or exercise plan isn't going to get off my excess weight - what I do will have to be forever.

I wish you all the best as you try to get back on that horse....

See I had planned to eat the way I was forever. Then I started a nibble here and a nibble there of things I knew I shouldn't be eating and slowly the scale started moving in the wrong direction. A few pounds here, a few there and wham it ads up fast.

Awww, Quiver . . . don't beat yourself up. We've all been there.

I am on a special diet for health problems. It's absolutely draconian. One nice side effect of this diet is that I am sure to lose weight--I have been trying to drop 50 pounds for several years. My biggest fear, though, is that when I am done with the special diet, I know I will put some weight back on, and this terrifies me.

Jean,

I have let my weight climb this last year and I feel awful about it. Like you every night I was going to bed resolved to get back on the exercise/eatling well wagon in the morning. By morning, my resolve was gone. Last week I realized that all the resolve in the world at bedtime was getting me no where.

So, I have had to change my attitude literally to one day at a time. I have to have the resolve in the morning to do things right. I must get my exercise done first thing in the morning or it won't get done. I force myself to do it. However, once it is done I have set in motion a momentum for better eating and healthier living for the rest of the day. When you see how hard you have to work in the morning to burn an extra 100-200 calories, you don't want to mess it up with chocolate chip cookies later (well, you do, but...).

I guess I am trying to say that the path you follow first thing in the morning is that path you take for the rest of the day, so perhaps finding the resolve in the morning (or forcing yourself, like I have to) will help get you back on track.

I am the type that won't exercise later in the day so mornings do work best for me. I am aiming for 30 min a day right now and will get that done in a few.

I have put back on 20lbs, 10lbs a year, in the last two years. I really liked being at my previous weight and kick myself for not waking up after the first ten. I can imagine how frustrating it is because 100 lbs takes a lot of work and dedication.

One thing that I have learned is weight loss will never be permanent if you don't change your eating habits. I absolutely refuse to diet, have done so for four years now. I know it won't help in the long term. We've slowly made our eating habits a priority and though we've slipped a few times, definitely during the holidays, we're making another step and another and the other day I was so proud of our pantry and our progress. There only bad thing in our pantry is sugary cereal that I've left as the last battle.

We've slowly eliminated sodas, chips, candy (sugary processed snacks have been gone for a while but I have a big weakness for candy like M&Ms). I've really focused on eliminating processed foods but we still let some come into the house (kashi bars, sun chips). No foods with HFCS. We're focusing on organic and farmer's markets.

I try to tackle one bad eating habit at a time and it's finally starting to come together. :)

Biggest hurdle will be the holidays this year. We always allow ourselves to loosen our rules and this past year it took us a while to get our act back together LOL. I don't want that this year so we'll have to plan ahead a bit better. I'm not a fan of being 100% all the time. Like someone else said in another thread, My goal is eating the right way 90% of the time so I don't have to worry about the 10% of the time we don't.

So what is my problem!? I seriously need to get motivated and I am hoping that coming clean with you all is step one.
Kudos for being able to talk about this! I'm a firm believer that it does more harm than good to deny our own issues. Talking about this and facing it head-on will certainly be helpful to you, in my estimation.

We have a good friend (female) who is quite overweight today, though a couple of years ago she lost well over 100 lbs. She is a very analytical person and she puts a lot of blame on a "starvation" diet (Literally. 800 calories/day) which she did long ago for a period of about 18 months. She believes that during this period, her brain chemistry was altered in such a way that she now has a desperate need for food.

She also has a basic belief that body type has a big impact on your success with dieting including the ability to keep the weight off. I think this is a pretty well-accepted view of how genetics plays a part in weight gain. My parents are an excellent example: My father tended to be overweight and hypertensive, coming from a line of men who died very young (60 and 42 for my dad and my grandfather, respectively). My mother is thin and tends to have very low blood pressure.

The point being that I think there may be some truth to all of the above. I tend to take after my mother, so when I became overweight, I found it relatively easy to both lose the weight and keep it off. It seems clear to me that others have a more difficult time both losing the weight AND keeping it off. As such, you will need to find what works best for you. It sounds like you already know how to lose the weight, so there certainly is hope!

I will say that I also recommend walking every day. To me, this is the best way to help you stay in shape. When MomsintheGarden and I manage to fit an hour of walk in each day, we both feel much better.

I understand! A year ago today, I got serious. In a "short" time, I was down 43 pounds. I was able to keep it down until we started traveling. So my weight has climbed up a little and now has come down a little. I think that I netted about 30 pounds which isn't bad for the year, but still.

Anyway, I refused to buy bigger clothes (well, and being unable helped). So I had to get back to it!

Your numbers match mine over the last two years, though I do not feel the 15 pounds I have regained is all fat. IMO, most of it is muscle that I have gained due to my increased activity level. I fully expect that when I complete this round of Fat Loss for Idiots, I will *look* trimmer than I did after last round 13 months ago when I attained a lower weight. We will see.
Here's the thing: 95% of people who lose weight on a diet regain the lost weight (and sometimes more). Research shows that even when they stay on the low-calorie diet, people start to put weight back on.
This is one of the main tenets behind Fat Loss for Idiots: Your metabolism will adjust to practically ANY diet that you maintain. As a result, the approach used in Fat Loss for Idiots is to "confuse" your metabolism by mixing things up, thus causing it to start burning fat in order to produce energy. It is also the reason this diet is not a continuous thing, since either the body WOULD adjust to the constant changes in eating or it would be UNABLE to adjust to the constant changes, either of which is undesirable. Assuming the latter case, once the ample supply of fat was gone, you would probably be starving your body if you continued this diet for a long time, even though you are eating food.

I also personally like that it does not require a lifestyle change, just an occasional eleven-day commitment. (I will add that we eat quite well normally. I am also not a big snacker, the exception being when I am doing a lot of physical labor.)

Best of luck to you, Jean. I'm a big believer that homeschooling moms can achieve whatever they set out to do! :thumbup1:

Can I add to the chorus and say that I think you're awesome for facing this head-on? I think you're courageous for not ignoring something that bothers you, but looking at it and trying to figure it out.

And, for encouragement, you might want to look at that national registry of weight loss (I think that's what it's called) - you know, the one that keeps track of the folks who've lost a lot of weight and kept it off for a long time? Because I seem to remember that almost all of them had to make more than one try - lots of them made lots of unsuccessful tries - before they found the method that worked for them. I remember it making an impression that hardly any of them got it right the first time.

They eventually found what worked for them because they didn't give up. That's you.

I am sorry to hear that you are having a hard time of it, especially the beating yourself up at night over it.

I am not in your position but I've done the same as you particularly the fretting over food consumption to the point of insomnia.

Stop hurting yourself with those thoughts. You've lost a tremendous amount of weight and you can do it again, maybe more maybe less but that scale can move downward once more. You know what to do. You don't need a new program or the latest fad in weight loss. It's not that confusing.

Instead of doing things day-by-day, I have to do it moment by moment.

So, if I blow it at breakfast, lunch, and snack all day, then I decide that RIGHT NOW (even if it's 6:00 at night), I will start eating healthy. I don't wait for morning.

I do my best to determine that the next bite of food will be a good bite, and I won't overeat, even if I messed up all day long.

It helps a little...If you get enough "little" advice and put it all together, it might help make a big difference for you.

I am with you all in this area!! Since having my twins three years ago I haven't been able to lose anything.

I started reading Women Food and God by Geneen Roth and it has really made me think about what I eat why I am eating and what underlying issues I have, great book highly recommend it!! I have lost 8 lbs and that is HUGE for being not able to lose anything in the last 3 years.

Instead of doing things day-by-day, I have to do it moment by moment.

So, if I blow it at breakfast, lunch, and snack all day, then I decide that RIGHT NOW (even if it's 6:00 at night), I will start eating healthy. I don't wait for morning.

I do my best to determine that the next bite of food will be a good bite, and I won't overeat, even if I messed up all day long.

It helps a little...If you get enough "little" advice and put it all together, it might help make a big difference for you.

I do fall into the trap if I blow it, I might as well blow it the rest of the day and restart tomorrow. I need to take it meal by meal. Excellent advice. Thank you.

See I had planned to eat the way I was forever. Then I started a nibble here and a nibble there of things I knew I shouldn't be eating and slowly the scale started moving in the wrong direction. A few pounds here, a few there and wham it ads up fast.

how about limiting your nibbles to weekends only? You can have treats, but try not to go overboard.

Losing the weight is the easiest part. Keeping it off is the most challenging. I was always the skinny one in an overweight family. Then I hit my 40's. :glare: I need to lose 35 pounds (WAS 30 and then I injured myself and have been off my feet for 6 weeks!) and I know what to do.

My thing is that I really don't eat much At All. It's so unfair. I have come to realize that house cleaning, barn chores, etc. isn't enough. If I want to look good and be healthy, I have to have a cardio workout, preferably every day.

I'm holding your hand. This is me too. I lost nearly 60 lbs three years ago. It took me two years to do it, and I still had 20 more to be at my personal goal. Then my Dad died, and I just quit. Now I'm right back to where I was - only worse because this body looks bad.

So my question is where do people get the energy to support their decision? It's one thing to know what to do; it's another to be able to move yourself in that direction.

I'm holding your hand. This is me too. I lost nearly 60 lbs three years ago. It took me two years to do it, and I still had 20 more to be at my personal goal. Then my Dad died, and I just quit. Now I'm right back to where I was - only worse because this body looks bad.

So my question is where do people get the energy to support their decision? It's one thing to know what to do; it's another to be able to move yourself in that direction.

Ask yourself what do you want more, fitness/health or laying in bed an extra # minutes or extra chips?

I keep asking myself that when it comes to tasks that I am dragging my feet on.

My sister has recommended When Food Is Love by Geneen Roth. I haven't read it, but she says it deals with those emotional eating issues. She has written some other books along the same lines as well.

I definitely struggle with eating to comfort myself. It has taken me quite a while to realize how much better I actually feel when I don't give in to the temptation.

I lie in bed every night regretting that I didn't stick to a healthy eating plan during the day and vow to start tomorrow. Repeat the next day.

Me too, only my motivation is the mornings. I wake up every morning saying THIS will be the day. And no matter how healthy I eat during the day, I sabotage myself every single night.

I lost 21 lbs. with Weight Watchers and gained 11 of it back during summer semester. I had lost just enough to get under what my doctor wanted me to weigh because there is history of diabetes in my family. Both my mom and her sister have it. So duh... you think that would be my motivation. So why am I so dreading the whole thing. And I did maintain for a while, but then I went back to Chick-fil-a and bread/pasta. I eat fairly healthy. My problem is portion control. I'm simply hungry all the time.

I'm sorry, Jean. I know how you feel. I am back up to what I was before -- before I lose weight every time. It's the weight I always gravtitate toward.

And, I am fed up because with my foot problem, I haven't been able to do anything aerobic. I cannot even walk fast like I used to.

I love what I've read of Geneen Roth. Haven't made it to Women, Food, and God yet, but look forward to it. I also recommend Martha Beck: The Four-Day Win, and The Joy Diet. Excellent info, funny, smart.

Have you looked at anything like the Couch to 5K program? It's nine weeks, just exercise. There are several apps and a facebook group. The best part of things like this, for me, is that it completely changes my focus. I can move from, "Holy cow, the brownies are calling my name," to, "Am I feeling stronger? Breathing better? [asthma-ish stuff] Sleeping better?" And there's far less opportunity for guilt, IME. There are others too - triathlon and 10K programs that make those things far more accessible to us mortals. ;)

Anyhoo, more hugs to you. I think of you and wonder how you and yours are. :D

Jean, 1st of all :grouphug:.

I, too, have lost weight (but never 100 pounds - way to go!) and gained it back. I finally reached my goal weight (the lowest weight I ever remember being, probably my lowest weight since junior high) last November and am still learning to keep it off. I certainly do not feel like a successful weight loss maintainer.

I lie in bed every night regretting that I didn't stick to a healthy eating plan during the day and vow to start tomorrow.

This is something new I learned how to do this time - begin fresh every.day. In the last 2 years, if I made a poor choice one (or more) days, I really did "start anew" rather quickly.

And, for encouragement, you might want to look at that national registry of weight loss (I think that's what it's called) - you know, the one that keeps track of the folks who've lost a lot of weight and kept it off for a long time? Because I seem to remember that almost all of them had to make more than one try - lots of them made lots of unsuccessful tries - before they found the method that worked for them. I remember it making an impression that hardly any of them got it right the first time.

They eventually found what worked for them because they didn't give up. That's you.

Here are a couple of links about the National Weight Control Registry:

http://www.nwcr.ws/

http://exercise.about.com/od/gettingweightlossresults/a/successweight.htm

I was accepted into their study. I am hoping that it will help to keep me accoutable, so that I can be a successful maintainer. Perhaps you will be encouraged to join the study, too.

Best Wishes.

I didn't have quite the dramatic loss as you did, but I'm back to within a few pounds of where I was before I very first cleaned up my diet back in 2002. :blushing: I kept it off for years and through my first 2 pregnancies but this time around I never quite got off the last bit of pregnancy weight. I could live with that, but since June I've been bad about overindulging in things I know I should keep to very small portions on rare occasions. So the rest of it has come back.

I'm re-starting South Beach the day after Labor Day.

It's life. Our thorns are our thorns. Keeps us humble and compassionate.

Work on eating well today and on walking for 30 minutes today.

Let tomorrow take care of itself.

:iagree: Nice post. :grouphug:

Remember what Flylady says, "You aren't behind, just jump in where you are."

Barb

I really wish I had an answer to this. It's very hard to get going in the right direction.

I love what I've read of Geneen Roth. Haven't made it to Women, Food, and God yet, but look forward to it. I also recommend Martha Beck: The Four-Day Win, and The Joy Diet. Excellent info, funny, smart.

Have you looked at anything like the Couch to 5K program? It's nine weeks, just exercise. There are several apps and a facebook group. The best part of things like this, for me, is that it completely changes my focus. I can move from, "Holy cow, the brownies are calling my name," to, "Am I feeling stronger? Breathing better? [asthma-ish stuff] Sleeping better?" And there's far less opportunity for guilt, IME. There are others too - triathlon and 10K programs that make those things far more accessible to us mortals. ;)

Anyhoo, more hugs to you. I think of you and wonder how you and yours are. :D

I did look at the C25K and did day 1 LOL but hurt my knee that week. I can walk fine but running bothered it. I am going to try it again once my knee is better.

I tried this but for me I am an all or nothing person. If I nibbled on the weekend it would be near impossible to stop Monday morning.

That is me, too. It's depressing to think we have to work so hard to lose weight and then, just when we see a light at the end of the tunnel, it hits us. We have to work that hard forever to maintain it.

You have motivated me to keep going to the Y. I have been meeting my aunt there 3 times a week all summer. I was thinking of quitting because it is so hard to do - we meet at 5:30 and go until 6:30-7. Dinner time. Now that we are doing school again it is so hard.

But I am going to figure out how to make it work.

Thanks!

Quiver...I'm wondering if you need a support group. I have a friend from college days that was over weight...very over weight. She tried every diet...even a liquid diet...and, would lose weight just to gain it back plus more. She finally joined Over Eaters Anonomous. I bet she lost 150 pounds and has kept it off!

??

Just a suggestion...

Take care!

~Holly