Menu

Using a bread machine for pizza dough

My husband makes wonderful home-made pizza for us almost every weekend. Although it's worth the effort, its a long process, and he would LOVE to cut down on the time.

We're wondering if it would be worth it to invest in a bread machine to make the dough.

Amazon has a Panasonic SD-YD250 for $135. 655 people gave it 4.5 stars. It can make up to a 2.5 pound loaf of bread (the largest I found anywhere.) Its primary competition is a machine made by Zojirushi. ANY of their 2-pound loaf machines are over $200, but these get rave reviews. My husband really would never consider spending this much money, but I REALLY would like to hear comparisions between the Panasonic and Zojirushi.

Can anyone tell me about the Panasonic SD-YD250? Can anyone comment about the Zojirushi?

What machine would you recommend for pizza dough?...... enough to make 2- 14" pizzas.

Oh gosh. My Toastmaster is a bigger bread maker and I got it 2nd hand for $20. I saw it new in a local shop for about $70. It's about as cheap as they come but has been chugging along doing a great job for me for about 4-5 years now.

I sort of see bread makers as big toasters. The technology is pretty simple so as long as you get a machine with basic programs you'll probably do okay, especially if it's mainly just for pizza dough!

I can only comment that my Breadman machine has been working for 3 years and makes amazing pizza dough ... the house smells so nice!

In a pinch, to save time, I have used frozen bread dough that you can buy at the grocery store ... but if I had a choice, I would use the bread machine method!

Have fun picking out your bread making machine! It's sooo nice to put ingredients in and walk away from it for the day, and come back to a wonderfully made loaf of bread ...:)

I don't think you need a high end machine for dough. I have always used cheaper bread machines and thought they did an awesome job kneading.

I THINK alot of what makes the expensive machines better has to do with how the bread bakes in the machine and all the different settings/ options. If you are using it for dough and then baking in your real oven I don't think you need an expensive machine.

Have fun. I thought the bread machine was the greatest invention in the history of the world for a while. I now use a stand mixer and bake in the oven but I never would have started bread baking if I didn't have a machine to knead for me.

I use a $3 thrift store bread machine for dough (pizza and bread). It works fabulously. I LOVED my Zojirushi for actual bread - but I am 99% sure it died this week. I need to run a couple of batches to confirm. but the timer or element or something died so it won't run the second rise. HUGE bummer. But - the cheap one runs great and in 90 minutes - perfect dough!!

We make pizza every week and I use our bread machine to make the dough. When our Breadman broke last year I splurged and bought a Zojirushi. The primary reason why I bought that was because 1) it had great reviews and 2) It could make a "traditional" (normal looking) bread loaf. Now, I admit, 90% of its use is to make the pizza dough, but the times I use it to make bread I want a loaf of bread, not a tower of bread. ;)

I agree with others, if you're only using it to make pizza dough, I wouldn't spend the big bucks, but if you also plan on making bread, take another look at the options.

Thanks so much everyone!

Ok. Considering that I wouldn't need an expensive machine for dough, now I want to know how much dough will make 2- 14" pizzas?

I still kind of like the Panasonic SD-YD250 just in case we want to make bread, but it won't break the bank. It makes a 2.5 pound loaf of bread.

Most machines I've read about make a 2 pound loaf.

Can anyone speak to this issue?

If you want a machine for bread, I'd get one; however, if you want one just for pizza dough, you don't necessarily need one. This almost no-knead recipe for pizza dough is AMAZING, and doesn't require an overnight rest as most no-kneads.

ETA: I'm not trying to discourage you at all! I had a Breadman for several years that I used 3+ days a week. It was a great machine...

Edited by BikeBookBread

Buy a cheap one. My bread machine is 20 years old and going strong!

I love love making my pizza dough in the bread machine. So much easier.

Gingersmom,

Could you tell me how much pizza your dough makes? My dh makes 2 14" pizzas that he and our children and I eat. Would 2 pounds of dough be enough, or would 2.5 be better?

Hi Sweet Home,

I'm sorry that no one has answered you! Yes, the 2lb machine will make enough dough for 2 14in pizzas. There are 6 of us, and we always make two pizzas, and there are usually a few pieces left over.

Here are a couple of recipes....

1 1/4 cup warm water

1 1/2 tbls olive oil

3 3/4 bread flour (or all purpose flour)

1 1/2 tbls sugar

1 1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp bread machine yeast

or

10 1/2 oz warm water

4 tbls vegetable oil

4 cups bread or all purpose flour

1 tsp sugar

1 tsp salt

Hope this helps!

Gingersmom,

Could you tell me how much pizza your dough makes? My dh makes 2 14" pizzas that he and our children and I eat. Would 2 pounds of dough be enough, or would 2.5 be better?

We make 3 (large) individual pizzas. I have no problem with 4 cups of flour in the bread machine.

I can only comment that my Breadman machine has been working for 3 years and makes amazing pizza dough ... the house smells so nice!

In a pinch, to save time, I have used frozen bread dough that you can buy at the grocery store ... but if I had a choice, I would use the bread machine method!

Have fun picking out your bread making machine! It's sooo nice to put ingredients in and walk away from it for the day, and come back to a wonderfully made loaf of bread ...:)

:iagree:

Hi Sweet Home,

I'm sorry that no one has answered you! Yes, the 2lb machine will make enough dough for 2 14in pizzas. There are 6 of us, and we always make two pizzas, and there are usually a few pieces left over.

Here are a couple of recipes....

1 1/4 cup warm water

1 1/2 tbls olive oil

3 3/4 bread flour (or all purpose flour)

1 1/2 tbls sugar

1 1/2 tsp salt

or

10 1/2 oz warm water

4 tbls vegetable oil

4 cups bread or all purpose flour

1 tsp sugar

1 tsp salt

Hope this helps!

Thank you, Mrs. F!!!!:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

I have a 16 year old Breadman machine. It's a little workhorse! It has a pizza dough setting. Mine is the smaller model, but still can make enough for 2 large pizzas at once.

• 8 months later...
Guest johnalex1726

I usually bake breads and I found it easy and very challenging with the help Panasonic SD-YD250 which is one of the world's best brand in making breads.

I have a zoji (I luuurve it) and I use it at least once a week for pizza dough. It bakes 2lb loaves and can easily hold enough flour for two pizzas of that size. My pizza dough rec. calls for 6 cups of flour.

'just dough' isn't a good excuse for a cheap machine. A cheap machine has a weaker motor. I bake with mostly whole grains and I need a strong machine to keep up. Now, cheap doesn't mean a bad machine, but don't go based only on price.

I had a breadman for 3 years and then it died. By then, I knew I was sold on using a bread machine and I upgraded to the zoji. My zoji might die after 3 years as well, but I doubt it. That said, I really, really use my bread machine. My husband says I treat it like a rented mule, lol.

I say, check out used machines and see what you can find. Maybe he will really like using it, maybe not. But, if it doesn't work all that well, make sure it is not just a poor machine. Don't automatically assume that all machines won't work or he can't figure it out etc. Now I know that either the thermometer or the temp on my Breadman was wiggy. Every now and then it would turn out a mess instead of dough. Those times got closer and closer together and finally I realized it wasn't me, it was the machine.