Menu

Third week of Sonlight 3, got a problem

Nakia

I am doing Core 3 with my 5th grader, and my 2nd grader is tagging along. My 2nd grader is pretty immature for her age, at least in comparison to my oldest. She is a good reader though, so I thought we would try the Core 3 regular readers (while my 5th grader does the advanced plus others). I have tried reading it all, or letting her read a page while I do the next, or some variation of that. It's not going well at all. She doesn't seem to retain anything. We finished A Lion To Guard Us last week, and out of 14 days, she cried and got upset 11 or 12 of those because she "doesn't know anything!". It is so sad because I know she is an eager-to-please child. She also tends to be get anxious really easily and freak out about things she has a hard time with. I want her to have fond memories of reading, not this battle every day. It makes my heart ache because she wants to learn and loves to learn, but this is making us both upset.

I have tried just having her narrate back to me a little bit, instead of answer the comprehension questions, but it's still hard. We started Pocahontas and the Strangers today, and she cried and cried. She goes into la-la-land sometimes when we read, and then she doesn't know what we've done. I am really wondering if I should just skip the scheduled readers with her, continue to work on other easier books for speed and comprehension (along with the history readings), and then maybe pick up the scheduled readers later. I don't want her to miss out on any of these great books, but I would rather skip them than cause her such misery. Maybe she just needs more time before she is ready. Any thoughts? Thank you!!

Edited by Nakia

My humble opinion is that the books may be too much for her, even if you read them. My daughter is like this. She can read the books herself, she can listen to me read them, but if they are just slightly above her comprehension (or completely non-interesting to her mind), she hates them. I've chosen easier or more entertaining books for her and she's great with it now.

I hope you find something that works for you with it. As my daughter has matured, she's much more able to get into the Sonlight books now.

I would drop them and use books that are slightly below her reading level. My 3rd grader really enjoyed the Emerging Readers package that is available from Heart of Dakota. He used those for 2nd grade. He also read most of the books that Sonlight has in their 2 Intermediate package. There are a few books in Core 3 (his brother is doing 3+4) that I plan to have him read this year, but not according to any schedule... just at his own pace and probably in his free time.

I personally don't think a 2nd grader even needs readers. I really didn't use a set of readers at all with my oldest son when he was that age and he LOVES to read. He completed phonics in first grade, he ONLY read books of his own choosing and at his own pace in second grade, and then in third and fourth grade he did the Sonlight 2 Advanced readers along with other things.

If you don't want her to miss the books, you can just read them to her. That's what I would do :001_smile:.

You've gotten good advice, Nakia.

You know what? Second grade. Are you planning on getting rid of the Sonlight books at the end of the year? If you're going to keep them, she won't miss those good books, she'll read them. . . . just not on Sonlight's schedule ;)

And who knows? Back off now, maybe by March she'll be ready to tackle some of them. It's easy enough to find easy to read American History books at most libraries - could you pursue that option?

Thank you all so much!!! You all confirmed exactly what I was thinking. I did post this on the SL forum too, and someone directed me to a sticky at the top that has tons of extra resources for core 3, including tons of lists of easy readers and picture books for younger kiddos. The funny thing is that I looked through my bookshelves today, and I own a bunch of easy American History readers, lol. Requested a few more from the library, and we are set.

My poor girl told me she hates reading today, and I know she just said it out of frustration. I'm afraid I got frustrated too, and it showed. :( Tomorrow is a new day!

One thing that several of you mentioned that I hadn't thought of--I am not planning to get rid of these books, unless something unforeseen happens, so she can read them later, if she wants to! Sometimes I just need to smack myself and say "duh!!" :lol:

Thanks again!!!!

If it helps any I posted the list of books my 2nd ds will be reading this year on my blog. Might give you some ideas:001_smile: http://bobandabbies.blogspot.com/2010/08/busters-second-grade-reading-list.html

I know for my ds I want to spend this year building his confidence in reading. I also want him to learn to enjoy reading. I save the longer books for storytime.

I don't use SL's comprehension questions for readers. My second grader is reading the Core 3 readers this year (regular schedule, not advanced). He has a ton of confidence, though, so "A Lion to Guard Us" has not been problematic for him. After he reads, I ask him to tell me what the book is about and get a decent narration from him. He is my "easy" one, though.:tongue_smilie:I also have one who really struggles with narration and confidence. With him, I just asked for a brief overview and accepted whatever he provided. The comprehension questions would have frustrated him.

One suggestion is to space out the books further, giving more time for the reading of each and therefore less comprehension needed. Take three weeks to read them instead of two, for instance - or take four. You can use the readers if you think they are appropriate for her reading level but just slow down the schedule. If this is still too much and frustrating for her, then I would put them off for a while.

There are a LOT of easy reader and picture books for early American History. I'd look at WinterPromise American Story 1 for books you can add in for her. Don't overplan it--just one to two (max!) per week on her level.

Easy readers that look great (I have several of these) in no particular order: Small Wolf, Sam the Minuteman, Christopher Columbus, The True Story of Pocahontas etc. Even adding 10 or so of these all year should bring it down a little more to her level.

I kind of tried to do this last year with a 1st and 4th grader. I gave up and let him listen to SotW on audio. I'm trying again with All American History for the older (10 & 13 yo's) and Maestro books for my 2nd grader this year. We'll only need to cover the first three in a semester to keep in the same time frame as AAH, so that should leave plenty of time for the easier books for him. (I start with him tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it goes. :001_unsure:)

Does she like listening to audio books? Librivox has This Country of Ours read by a really great reader. I'm hoping to find time for this too.

Nakia,

Take a look at Guest Hollow's American History--there are lots of links to coloring pages, crafts, and other online things; these might be a way for her to still participate in some history this year without the stress (for her or you).

ETA: Vertias Press has a couple sets of gentle readers for younger siblings tagging along in American history; these may be worth a look.

Edited by Zoo Keeper

I just order these after a friend told me they are listed on the veritaspress site in their early readers:

Early History Reader Collection Gr 5

You may be a homeschool family teaching this time period to younger children, too. This collection is for you. Selected with 2nd or 3rd graders in mind, these readers will provide resources that will satisfy the needs and curiosity of the subject matter in ways directed to their age level.

Item Number: 255276 clear.gif Price: $30.50

Refer this page to a friend

Related Items:

The 18 Penny Goose

George the Drummer Boy

Sam the Minuteman

George Washington's Mother

Red, White & Blue

Ben Franklin & the Magic Squares

Christopher Columbus

George Wash. & the General's Dog

Lewis & Clark: A Prairie Dog for President

Also, we are totally LOVING the D'aulaire and other books used in beautiful feet primary for early american. So my 10 y.o. and 13 y.o listen in on those with my 5 and 7 y.o's and then the older 2 do SL Core 3 as well. It is going great! The favorite part is the history notebook we are keeping, following the Beautiful Feet recommendations for coloring pages based on the D'Aulaire books. My 5 and 7 y.o. LOVE our history now. They can answer all of my questions. Sonlight alone was sucking the life out of history for all of us. This has been an answer to prayer.

One other idea too that has changed our day:

I borrowed a friend's MFW to peruse. In it she suggests a 15 minute time called book basket, in which you put similar books out for your kids. They grab one and read for 15 minutes. We scheduled this. I put any extras I had that relate to our history, nature, and science studies of just that week on a shelf like a gutter shelf so the fronts of the books face out and entice. When we get to that part of the schedule, they scramble for their pick of the day and go read. And, lo and behold, I get 15 minutes with my 5 y.o. to do OPGTTR and MEP reception! It has worked perfectly. They are loving it. I've been ordering books to meet this time need from paperbackswap and using other curriculum suggestions, like from HOD and Truthquest and Winters Promise and others, just picking the books that look totally fun.

I never imagined my kids would be flying through so many books so quickly as they are in book basket time!

Nakia, just one more thought to toss in the fire. When your dd has some distance from her frustration, there is something else you can try. Your daughter may be absorbing more than you think but her thought process might not be in such a linear fashion to answer comprehension questions or narration. After she has watched a movie that she has enjoyed, have her retell it to you or better yet, a peer who hasn't seen it. You may find that she processes her information in a different way. I don't know if I am explaining this well, but the longer I homeschool, the less likely I am to use either straight comprehension or narration to check learning. For example, with a book like Sign of the Beaver, we'd probably have a casual conversation about what it would been like for the main character to be left on his own for months on end at age 12, isolated in the woods, holding down a farmstead. How would that work in modern times? I find that by trying to discuss the book utilizing an intimate connection to the child's experiences or imagination, that the student knows for more than either of us anticipated. A question like, "What kids of things would you have to do now to stay on your own?" has the child backing up and thinking about what the book's character did. She's having to think harder and make connections but it's not as intimidating as comprehension or narration because there is no right answer.

Sonlight is very enjoyable. I hope you find answers that work for the both of you.

Nakia, just one more thought to toss in the fire. When your dd has some distance from her frustration, there is something else you can try. Your daughter may be absorbing more than you think but her thought process might not be in such a linear fashion to answer comprehension questions or narration. After she has watched a movie that she has enjoyed, have her retell it to you or better yet, a peer who hasn't seen it. You may find that she processes her information in a different way. I don't know if I am explaining this well, but the longer I homeschool, the less likely I am to use either straight comprehension or narration to check learning. For example, with a book like Sign of the Beaver, we'd probably have a casual conversation about what it would been like for the main character to be left on his own for months on end at age 12, isolated in the woods, holding down a farmstead. How would that work in modern times? I find that by trying to discuss the book utilizing an intimate connection to the child's experiences or imagination, that the student knows for more than either of us anticipated. A question like, "What kids of things would you have to do now to stay on your own?" has the child backing up and thinking about what the book's character did. She's having to think harder and make connections but it's not as intimidating as comprehension or narration because there is no right answer.

Sonlight is very enjoyable. I hope you find answers that work for the both of you.

Wow, great advice!! Thank you!!