Menu

8th Grader...need ideas for Grammar

Guest TCKsMom

Guest TCKsMom

First of all, I'm new on here so if someone has asked this, could you point me to the right thread to read? :)

My son is an 8th grader this year and I am looking into what to do next for Grammar. He has done Easy Grammar up until now and just finished EG Plus. Now I'm trying to decide if we go into the EG Ultimate books starting with the 8th Grade one or to go a different way entirely.

He's also doing Writing Strands and reading things I assign him for literature so I'm just looking for some thoughts on this. Thanks!

I've only used EG as a back up. We had some trouble with retention when we tried to use EG as the primary program. This is the first year we are using AG. My 6th grader is doing the program in the "normal" 3 year rotation. There are instructions for making it a quicker program for older students.

If your dc is solid in grammar, you might consider doing EG with Queen's Language Lessons as a supplement. It is a Charlotte Mason stye grammar program. I like the different approach, it makes the dc approach grammar in another way.....

Guest TCKsMom

Great thoughts ladies! Thank you so much! This gives me some ideas of what to consider as we decide what to do.

Another thought I had this morning was to just focus on Writing Strands for a year or so.

Easy Grammar really helped my boys go from bogged down with any English or writing I assigned to being comfortable with grammar terms and writing their own stories! My 8th grader now helps my dh edit his writing. :)

At this point I just want him to not get bogged down with boredom and on the flip side be challenged in a way that won't bog him down with frustration. If we are talking Math and Science....no worries for him, grammar and writing feels like it's a delicate balance. Lol.

My son really liked BJU Writing & Grammar, and is currently enjoying CLE grammar. We tried MCT and he despised it...it was tooooooooo wordy. If your ds liked EG and did well with it, I wonder if he would like a wordy grammar? Something to think about before shelling out that cash. ;)

Now, I am going to give you my opinion from experience, so take it as my opinion (from experience! ha!) and know that every child/situation is different. OK, my experience is that EG is not a very thorough grammar (no flames please). My older boys used it. They did remarkably well with it, I thought it was wonderful, wonderful, wonderful and talked it up to everyone...until I put them in a tradtional grammar program in high school. My middle was in 9th and my oldest was in 11th...neither one of them could pass the BJU 9th grade(!) Writing & Grammar DVD class. They were completely and utterly lost. I had to tweak it, and tweak it, just so they could barely pass. It was a nightmare and I was sooooo upset that I had wasted all those years on EG which had basically taught them very little.

They never did catch up in grammar and to this day they could not tell you what a simple predicate nominative is let alone find one in a sentence. My youngest ds used BJU grammar from 4th -7th and is currently using CLE. Now, that kid knows his grammar!

OK, so having said all that, perhaps EG has changed? Perhaps it has gotten much more thorough since I have used it. I don't know. All I do know is that I could never personally recommend it to anyone. It's, in my opinion, called EASY Grammar for a reason and not a good one. :glare: