Menu

Thinking of starting a simple, Christian girl's club--ideas welcome--long CC

I was taking a nap this afternoon, and an idea sprang to mind--I'm great with the inception but not the implementation of ideas like this! :D

Our youth group for 5-6 gr meets twice a month. I was thinking of doing a club for girls in those grades at my house (the rectory) on the other two weeks (and two months, Sept and Dec, would be once a month). I know the girls really well already, with only a couple of exceptions.

The meeting would last about an hour-an hour and a half. It'd be to introduce a more serious element re Christian living/Biblical stuff, but also to have fun. I think there are 10 girls or so that would be in those grades--maybe slightly more, but not all would come.

We could do some Bible memory work, make prayer journals, make moss gardens and give them to the local nursing home (our church often interacts with the residents there, and some attend the church), use VOM site to compose and send letters to prisoners who are persecuted for their faith...We have a new church member who could show the girls some liturgical dance (and would be thrilled to do so). We could have an altar guild member show us how to arrange flowers, then the girls could commit to take care of the little Sunday School altars every Saturday for a month.

They could have a session on body image, making a healthy snack like pizza and fruit kabobs, and maybe a mirror with a Bible verse about self-image on the back--I could turn that into a sort of retreat, and they could watch a good movie, like the Kit Kittridge movie, and make a face scrub with ground up oatmeal in a pretty jar with a ribbon.

They would start with a devotion (ultimately helping lead that portion), play a game, talk about the topic, make something, and say an ending prayer.

Twice a year, we could do a field trip--like to the nursing home and maybe to a pretty park to celebrate God's natural world.

I'm thinking 4 components--God's Girls Read the Word (Memorize books of the Bible and one passage, Read a Gospel and Acts), God's Girls Pray (Prayer journal cover, letters to prisoners) God's Girls Worship (altar guild visit, liturgical dance), God's Girls Minister (nursing home visit, body image)

Whew! all this came to me in a twinkling. What do you think? More ideas? Certain passages? Extra materials? Feedback? Drawbacks? Name suggestions? (I was thinking God's Girls Club--GGC--had a nice ring to it, I thought.)

Anything is helpful.

This is very much like what my oldest is involved in. Our church is pretty large so in addition to the youth group activities they have small groups (girls or boys only) at people's homes called Life Groups. She loves it. I have often wished that they had them for younger kids. It's only for high school. I think it's a great idea.

Heather

Thanks, Julianna, that's something to keep in mind. No, I don't know who could run a boy's program, too. This is supplemental to our youth group. If no one wants to help the boys (a common problem, unfortunately) with a small group, then there won't be one. We've asked the men to step up.

This sounds very like the program that the Catholic parishes near me do, which is called Little Flowers. You might look at their stuff for ideas, too. Good luck with the new plan! :)

Here's a quote from their blog:

Little Flowers Girls' Club® is a Catholic program for girls ages 5 and up based on learning Catholic virtues through the lives of Catholic saints, Scripture and the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Developed by a Catholic mom of eleven, Rachel Watkins, and based on Fr. Lasance's Catholic Girls' Guide, the Club strives to bring the Catholic faith alive and inspire the girls to become authentic Catholic women.

Nine virtues are included in each of three different Wreaths or years of study. A fourth year, studying the fruits of the Spirit is also available. The format of the Clubs is flexible, with groups meeting monthly, bi-monthly or weekly. Badges for the virtues are earned by studying the saint associated with the virtue, memorizing relevant scripture verses and studying the Catechism. The program is flexible enough to use with a variety of age groups. Little Flowers Girls' Club® has also been successfully implemented in the family. Sashes, vests, skirts, bandanas, t-shirts and other items are extras that add to the experience, but are not necessary to running a successful Club.

The Leader's Guide for each Wreath offers suggestions for running meetings, planning crafts and activities, talks on virtues and other relevant information.

The Member's Guide includes the activities, saints' biographies, pictures of the saints, and prayers for each girl. Each of the girls in the Club should purchase their own Member's Guide.

Other items that leader's find useful are the Memory Verse CD/Cassettes, the Tea and Luncheon Manual and the Craft Companion and Merit Certificates.

Leader's should have fun with the program and use the flexibility to choose the items that are right for your group's needs. God bless you in your work for His work!

Are you familiar with Keepers of the Faith? My boys do Contenders for the faith. It is exactly like what you are describing, sweet times, a devotional, field trips. I love that the materials already prepared along with the buttons for them to earn. Be certain to look at the character trait materials.

http://www.keepersofthefaith.com/

Edit: - I realized I didn't really address your question. Your vision is beautiful, and I love the components. Above is just something that is already available. I find that as time becomes more precious, I'm less concerned with inventing the wheel, and more concerned with taking the journey

Edited by bookfiend

Thanks, Heather. How big is your dd's group? What is its purpose?

I am going to run this idea by a few people at church today and could use more ideas and help--anybody else?

The group is about 10 girls or so. It's primarily a Bible Study (this year they studied Mark) but they also talk about their problems, school, witnessing, etc.

Heather