Menu

Help me organize my new (smaller) kitchen

Here's the link to the photo:

http://aaapremierpropertymanagementllc.com/P1010121.JPG

I think I could buy something similar to this pot rack and hang it in the corner. We have lots of storage so we're thinking about packing all our china (we've always eaten on our china) and buying inexpensive plates and bowels that would take up less room. Here's what I can't figure out:

1. I have no pantry :svengo: I have a broom closet that is SKINNY, so it would take some work to get shelves and food in there. I was thinking about buying some cute shelves, but where am I going to do school? I could hang some shelves above the machines in the laundry closet, but I don't think that would be good for pantry storage.

2. Where am I going to do school? LOL! DD (oldest) has a desk. I'm trying to decide if we camouflage school and do it in the kitchen but hide books all over the house (didn't work well when she was younger), or work on school in their bedroom at their desks.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Dorinda

BTW - the big door on the right is a coat closet.:glare: I think we're going to need it for the coats, vaccum and everything else that's in our current coat closet. The skinny broom closet is the door falling off the picture, and the doors by the back door are my laundry closet.

AND, my floors are going to be prettier than the ones pictured. They just replaced them :D

Thanks!

Dorinda

:bigear:

Will you put a table in the kitchen? Will that be your only dining area? I would also try to put a bookcase along the open wall. Tall and skinny.

Also can you can a 2nd shelf in the coat closet? Maybe you could get some neat baskets to store the books in there.

When we had limited space I put the books we used everyday in a basket and kept them in the kitchen cabinet, but we had more cabinets than that. You could still use that and have them put the books either in their bedroom or coat closet after school.

I would also think about getting some hanging file pockets you could put either on the wall or hang from inside the closet.

for food I would consider getting another big basket to put on top of the fridge for cereals and taller boxes.

Realistically, I'd be looking for other spaces for coats and the vacuum and add some storage units to the closet for school and pantry.

It's an adorable kitchen, btw.

Here's the link to the photo:

http://aaapremierpropertymanagementllc.com/P1010121.JPG

I think I could buy something similar to this pot rack and hang it in the corner. We have lots of storage so we're thinking about packing all our china (we've always eaten on our china) and buying inexpensive plates and bowels that would take up less room. Here's what I can't figure out:

1. I have no pantry :svengo: I have a broom closet that is SKINNY, so it would take some work to get shelves and food in there. I was thinking about buying some cute shelves, but where am I going to do school? I could hang some shelves above the machines in the laundry closet, but I don't think that would be good for pantry storage.

2. Where am I going to do school? LOL! DD (oldest) has a desk. I'm trying to decide if we camouflage school and do it in the kitchen but hide books all over the house (didn't work well when she was younger), or work on school in their bedroom at their desks.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Dorinda

My gf has the same kitchen...lol

She has what looks like a Murphy bed , except its a huge table in the kitchen.

Outside of school hours it's latched up with a pretty picture, which they affixed really well. The during school hours she unlatches it and it comes down to be a big table.

I'd paint it a warm yellow, and make some curtains for the window and door.

Put up a high shelf running along the full length of the fridge wall, (maybe the stove wall too?) You could also put them above the closet door or under the kitchen window.

If your table fits easily in there, I'd put a narrow hutch up against the blank wall.

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/fuo/1900914318.html

The hutch could be used to store kitchen stuff on top, and school stuff underneath.

I'd definitely put kitchen stuff on top of the fridge, and use the front and side for school things using some cute magnet.

You can hide food or school supplies inside the doors.

http://www.dream-kitchen-pantry.com/kitchen_store/storage_organization/pantry_door_rack.shtml

http://www.shop.com/Clear+Over+Door+Shoe+Organizer-235137054-p+.xhtml

You could also make something that you flip over the doors to display posters, maps, calendar, poems or other memory work that you'd like displayed during class hours. If you don't have room for a book shelf, I almost wonder if you could make something like the vinyl shoe holder, but something that could accommodate various sizes of books. It would be easy to display the ever changing collections of books you'd like them to read. You could take a minute everyday to flip them to the outer part of the door, and instantly create a classroom vibe.

It's late, I'm making up vinyl homeschool supplies. :)

Time for bed!

:lurk5:

ETA: I like the pot rack idea

Cute kitchen!

It's hard to tell from the photo, is there room for a small island? Maybe one on casters with shelving below would give you some extra workspace and also provide storage space. If there is room, I'd think about hanging a pot rack above that to free up that corner for more cabinets or shelving. What's on the wall to the right in the photo? Could bookshelves for school books and supplies be put on that wall? I think you'd get the biggest storage space by putting shelves along the left wall in the kitchen bringing them down to almost kitchen table height - assuming someone won't be sitting against the wall, or higher up if they will. You can treat the shelves like a pantry, and if you want to "hide" what's on the shelves, you can hang curtains in front of the shelves. It's a soft look and keeps your cans and boxes out of sight. :)

Corelle takes up very little space. I'd also look for glasses that stack nicely to take up less room too.

Will you put a table in the kitchen? Will that be your only dining area? I would also try to put a bookcase along the open wall. Tall and skinny.

Also can you can a 2nd shelf in the coat closet? Maybe you could get some neat baskets to store the books in there.

When we had limited space I put the books we used everyday in a basket and kept them in the kitchen cabinet, but we had more cabinets than that. You could still use that and have them put the books either in their bedroom or coat closet after school.

I would also think about getting some hanging file pockets you could put either on the wall or hang from inside the closet.

for food I would consider getting another big basket to put on top of the fridge for cereals and taller boxes.

Realistically, I'd be looking for other spaces for coats and the vacuum and add some storage units to the closet for school and pantry.

Thanks! Yes, I'm going to put a table in the kitchen, I just don't know which one yet. We were spoiled in this house because we were able to make the third bedroom our schoolroom. I have one of those long, white, folding tables from Walmart in there. I'm thinking about using that and storing our kitchen table.

I just bought a bar height table that has a shelf, wine rack and drawers underneath. Something like that pushed against the wall might do double duty as a table and storage!!! Then I would put shelves on the wall above the table.

That's a neat idea. Did you buy it new? Do you have pictures?

My gf has the same kitchen...lol

She has what looks like a Murphy bed , except its a huge table in the kitchen.

Outside of school hours it's latched up with a pretty picture, which they affixed really well. The during school hours she unlatches it and it comes down to be a big table.

This is hilarious to me because my dh lived in an apt that had a murphy bed and a murphy table. You couldn't have them both down at once.:lol:

I'd paint it a warm yellow, and make some curtains for the window and door.

Put up a high shelf running along the full length of the fridge wall, (maybe the stove wall too?) You could also put them above the closet door or under the kitchen window.

If your table fits easily in there, I'd put a narrow hutch up against the blank wall.

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/fuo/1900914318.html

The hutch could be used to store kitchen stuff on top, and school stuff underneath.

I'd definitely put kitchen stuff on top of the fridge, and use the front and side for school things using some cute magnet.

You can hide food or school supplies inside the doors.

http://www.dream-kitchen-pantry.com/kitchen_store/storage_organization/pantry_door_rack.shtml

http://www.shop.com/Clear+Over+Door+Shoe+Organizer-235137054-p+.xhtml

You could also make something that you flip over the doors to display posters, maps, calendar, poems or other memory work that you'd like displayed during class hours. If you don't have room for a book shelf, I almost wonder if you could make something like the vinyl shoe holder, but something that could accommodate various sizes of books. It would be easy to display the ever changing collections of books you'd like them to read. You could take a minute everyday to flip them to the outer part of the door, and instantly create a classroom vibe.

It's late, I'm making up vinyl homeschool supplies. :)

Time for bed!

:lurk5:

ETA: I like the pot rack idea

I LOVE Yellow, don't you? I had painted our living room warm yellow in this house. I have the curtains and rods and I'm hanging them in the apartment, but I haven't decided if I'm painting or not. I love the hutch idea! There are garage sales GALORE right now so I might be able to find something that would work. And, you're totally not making up homeschool supplies. I've seen what you're talking about! http://www.learningisfun.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=42493

Cute kitchen!

It's hard to tell from the photo' date=' is there room for a small island? Maybe one on casters with shelving below would give you some extra workspace and also provide storage space. If there is room, I'd think about hanging a pot rack above that to free up that corner for more cabinets or shelving. What's on the wall to the right in the photo? Could bookshelves for school books and supplies be put on that wall? I think you'd get the biggest storage space by putting shelves along the left wall in the kitchen bringing them down to almost kitchen table height - assuming someone won't be sitting against the wall, or higher up if they will. You can treat the shelves like a pantry, and if you want to "hide" what's on the shelves, you can hang curtains in front of the shelves. It's a soft look and keeps your cans and boxes out of sight. :)

Corelle takes up very little space. I'd also look for glasses that stack nicely to take up less room too.[/quote']

There is room for an island, but it would have to be small. I had one from Target when we first got married and lived in apartments. It's so funny what you wish you still had that you got rid of years ago because you didn't live in an apartment anymore LOL! I like your idea about the shelves.

I do have a cabinet like this http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/richmedia/images/cover.gif That currently holds our school books, but I could convert that into our pantry and put our books somewhere else. It's funny that it's called a pantry cabinet because that's not what I've used it for LOL!

These ideas are great! Keep them coming!

Thanks!

dorinda

I'd put cabinets over the top of the fridge and over the top of the window and a corner cabinet in the corner. I'd get the kind that go up to the ceiling. I don't know why builders put in cupboards that leave wasted space. Shelves would be ok, but it would be open and subject to dust, etc. Cabinets from Lowes aren't too expensive and you could stain them to match the cabinets already there, or just paint them all! If you can afford it, I'd also take out the cabinets over the stove and get some that go all the way to the ceiling. I think having the upper cabinets a different color than the bottom ones is a refreshing look.

Realistically, I'd be looking for other spaces for coats and the vacuum and add some storage units to the closet for school and pantry. That's what we did in our town house and we never regretted that decision.

How about some shelves or higher cabinets hung on the wall between the laundry and broom closet? High enough to not conk your head on but low enough to store some pantry food or dish items?

Personally I would also be adding shallow shelving cabinets with a counter and a small island for 1-2 bfast eaters and having them rest of the meals in the dining room. I'd make sure to have an electrical outlet there too so we could use that counter/island for cookie baking and the like.

:D

I think I would try to put the vacuum in the broom closet (if it fit), and buy a coat rack to home daily worn jackets/coats. All others would be housed in bedroom closets. A basket containing hats/gloves could live next to the coat rack when needed.

I'd buy an over-the-door rack for the coat closet as well as the broom closet if they fit. I'd buy simple shelving to put inside the coat closet and make that a pantry. (You may end up being able to do shelving in part and some coats in part.)

Bookshelves along the open wall would provide space for school storage. Lower bookshelves would allow for the wall above to be used for art work (either child-created or purchased). Your table will end up in the middle of everything. You'll get used to the cozy feel.

Also, look at purchasing some kitchen organizers for your cabinets. I own Correlle, as they don't take up as much space as other dishes, especially when paired with some of those pictured.

Since it's an apartment you don't want to change things permanently, nor spend a lot of money, I know, but you don't want to feel as you are living in limbo, either.

OH. I didn't realize this was an apartment. Ixnay on the new abnetscay. LOL

LOL! It's OK. We can do what we want as long as we return everything back to it's original state. I was assuming you were talking about some cheap temporary cabinets that we could remove later.

Look what I found ladies!

http://www.learningisfun.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=60763

This might be what I'm looking for instead of hanging a whiteboard on the wall!

We have a pantry that may be the same size as your broom closet. It too has a single panel door, but there's a width of 22 inches inside. There are wire shelves inside. Once I got some bins from the dollar store - I was able to make it workable.

When we were temporary at the beach condo - I had a bin for each child's books and binders and a smaller bin for school supplies. During the week that we would be out around the table and during the weekend we would move them out of the way to another part of the condo. Extra supplies (paper, some craft stuff) were stored in the tv cabinet with the tv! (Most of our stuff was in storage in a different state).

I agree about trying to find another spot for the coats. (Which is something I'll need to do - I may start checking craig's list for a coat rack myself!)

Can you get a table like this:

Mrs Mungo's dream table from a previous thread

(I think it may be from knock-off wood.com)

Edited by Brenda in FL