Menu

What do you do for P.E.?

Lovedtodeath

We go outside and dribble a basketball around cones, play dodge ball, whiffle ball, kick ball, soccer, swim at the Y, tennis and hike. I also sign them up for town sports. This time of year is a little different as my dd made it to the Division 1 soccer league and she has 3 practices and a game weekly as well as my son having baseball 3 times a week. We just love sports!!!!!!

It doesn't have to be anything organized if that is not your thing. Nature walking and scavenger hunts in the woods or your neighborhood works well to:)

Instead of thinking in terms of public school scheduling as your standard, I encourage you to break free! "Subjects each day" is an arbitrary designation, really.

Think, intead of quality play, which includes outside play and a variety of activities. Do a search for local homeschool support; they will know where you can access various sports if you want to expose her to skills in a specific sport.

Our local YMCA's have homeschool programs for this; maybe you have something similar?

Here is what we do!

ds9: Karate 4x a week, recreational Games class once a week, archery once a week

ds7: indoor soccer 2X a week, recreational Games class once a week, archery once week

Together as a family or with friends

nature hike once a week

Kick to be Fit Video (we use this more when other classes end)

lots of things like Basketball, soccer, flag football, bocchi ball etc. in the yard or at the park

We are outdoors at some point every day. I can't imagine in it any other way.

Susie

My kids play sports year-round. Swimming, basketball, football, baseball, soccer, etc. (not all at one time and not every sport for every dc, KWIM?). If there is ever an "off" season, our PE consists of bouncing on the trampoline, climbing trees, shooting hoops in the driveway, playing baseball in the backyard, lightsaber battles, skating, riding bikes, etc.

During the long winter (six months of it here) dd is in dance and gymnastics. She also plays soccer and basketball through the school. During the summer she is outside most of the day for most days. She rides her bike and scooter, swims, plays imaginative games with her friends. Otherwise I don't have a formal PE curriculum.

I wanted to add that one of the reasons PE in schools was developed because kids in school don't get enough time for good old fashioned play outside during the school year. If your kids are outside, actively playing there isn't a great need for formal PE. It is the one thing I take an unschooling approach to.

but in our house, my eldest and youngest do TaeKwonDo. For my 2 middle children, just playing is their PE. It isn't too hard to get my 5yo dd outside to play BUT my 6 yo ds is an lego-obsessed maniac. He would spend all day (and does!) in his room building some awesome lego things. It is much harder to get him outside and moving about. I hope to solve that soon with some extracurricular sports should we move :)

For young children, to me, outside play is good enough at this point, especially if your child is not big into "sports" and such.

we have a homeschool group locally that has a weekly PE. parents volunteer to lead and usually we do organized games/sports. We also did the presidential fitness test this year. We meet rain or shine, lol. It's been fun.

we also have a kids yoga video for indoor play in winter. My kids are young and enjoy games. Twister is fun and you get to stretch ;-) Simon says is a favorite here too for indoors. Simon says to run upstairs a lot, lol.

they are also involved in sports and dance.

when possible they ride bikes, scooters, skateboard and rollerskates.

and as a family we try to walk when the weather is nice.

i think the key thing is to get them moving...at least 30 minutes a day and the whole family can get involved in this. Heck, we play dodge ball as a family and love it!