Menu

homeschool and/or educational magazines..which do you subscribe to?

jewel7123

The only subscription I currently have is for The Old Schoolhouse Magazine. I'm interested to hear what magazines you subscribe to that are homeschool related and/or educational for the kids. A few I'm interested in hearing reviews on:

CLICK Science magazine from Cricketmag (for ages 3-6)

Homeschool Enrichment magazine

Homeschool Today magazine

Practical Homeschooling magazine

and others!

We get

ASK (Click's bigger brother, designed for ages 7-9), which is absolutely wonderful. It's expensive, but worth it. The publisher does do specials, so watch the website.

National Geographic Kids-Ok, but a little on the fluffy side. Good pictures, though. (We're members of the National Geographic Society, so this is pretty cheap as an add-on)

Highlights for Kids-Nice reading selections and puzzles, and I like the range of material, but you'll get continual solicitations for other products if you subscribe.

Scholastic News (in Spanish) Cheap, good reading practice for DD in Spanish

Lets Find Out (in Spanish)-Same as above, but a little more expensive because it comes with teacher materials as well.

We also get

National Geographic

Scientific American

Both of which are theoretically for adults, but DD enjoys them.

I subscribe to Secular Homeschooling Magazine. http://www.secular-homeschooling.com/index.html

This magazine is great. The editor does most of the writing, and she is a really good writer. It is a heavy paper stock B&W mag. Bi-Monthly, with very in-depth articles. She is the original author of "The Bitter Homeschooler's Wish List" http://www.secular-homeschooling.com/001/bitter_homeschooler.html I appreciate the fact that she saw a need for this sort of magazine and made it happen. She does it all herself.

I will check out Home Education Magazine from the library. I am sometimes irritated by this magazine, as some of the articles are very poorly written (not by the regular contributors, though). One the whole however, it is a decent mag.

As far as other mags... my dad got us Science Illustrated (which is awesome), my grandma sent us Smithsonian and I am toying with getting Make magazine (which is so excellent, but I will not open that can of worms until I can successfully accomodate it!) http://makezine.com/

I also have bought many of the Learning Through History magazines, though never subscribed, they are excellent.

Edited by radiobrain
keep remembering things.....

We get

ASK (Click's bigger brother, designed for ages 7-9), which is absolutely wonderful. It's expensive, but worth it. The publisher does do specials, so watch the website.

I found a coupon online for $7 off the original price. When they put it on special is it even cheaper than that? It is a bit expensive, even with $7 off.

I subscribe to Secular Homeschooling Magazine. http://www.secular-homeschooling.com/index.html

This magazine is great. The editor does most of the writing, and she is a really good writer. It is a heavy paper stock B&W mag. Bi-Monthly, with very in-depth articles. She is the original author of "The Bitter Homeschooler's Wish List" http://www.secular-homeschooling.com/001/bitter_homeschooler.html I appreciate the fact that she saw a need for this sort of magazine and made it happen. She does it all herself.

I subscribe to and love this one, too. I've even had a few articles published in it! :D (it doesn't pay much at all but it was a lot of fun seeing my writing published since I've been writing creatively since I was like 7 years old but never tried submitting anything anywhere for publication til I was well into my 30's, and then it was to a homeschooling mag- who would have thought lol)

Anyway! The articles in that mag are always well-written, and I really appreciate that it's not full of advertisements and religious references!

When my daughter was younger we subscribed to Ranger Rick and Ask.

In upper elementary we began Muse (the next one up after Ask). In junior high I added UpFront, the New York Times magazine of current events.

Ask and Muse are incredibly good magazines. Their stories center around science, history, and the arts, and are written by authors with recent books published in those topics, about issues of current research, debate, etc. Great pictures, too.

The only subscription I currently have is for The Old Schoolhouse Magazine. I'm interested to hear what magazines you subscribe to that are homeschool related and/or educational for the kids. A few I'm interested in hearing reviews on:

CLICK Science magazine from Cricketmag (for ages 3-6)

Homeschool Enrichment magazine

Homeschool Today magazine

Practical Homeschooling magazine

and others!

We get or have gotten

Cobblestone

Calliope

Zoobooks

National Geographic

Smithsonian

Cobblestone is probably my least favorite of the above. It seems to be more politically correct and I think sometimes distorts a topic in an effort to get enough articles of certain perspectives and catagories. I also think that the reading level of the articles has gone down over the years. But this isn't a phenomenon that is restricted to just one magazine or publisher. (Disclosure: I had an article published in Cobblestone a few years back.)

Zoobooks tends to be rather repetitive. If you've had a subscription for a few years you will see some themes that you've seen before. Our old copies are in good shape so we've let this one lapse. We actually started our collection by getting some sets Rainbow Resource.

I get copies of the German National Geographic World when we're traveling and I can find it. I don't like National Geographic Kids because it's too fluffy.

I also get and like

Backpacker Magazine

The Economist

Wall Street Journal

Popular Mechanics

Popular Science

The kids read all of these to some extent. Popular Mechanics and Popular Science are favorites of my upper elementary aged boys. They will pour over these. I don't think the writing is super easy. But if your kids can read an article in Time, they can probably handle Popular Mechanics/Science.

I subscribed my kids to Ladybug, but never saw them read it; I changed to Click and it has mostly been greeted with great interest. I think it's a very nice magazine. I subscribed via magazines.com using ebates, which gave me a partial refund (the amount they give back seems to change; right now it's 21%). That being said, my local library subscribes to several of the magazines in the Ladybug family, and I find that to be helpful to supplement.

I also subscribe us to Your Big Backyard (Ranger Rick's younger "brother"), which I don't like quite as much but has fairly good information on animals.

Scholastic News (in Spanish) Cheap, good reading practice for DD in Spanish

Lets Find Out (in Spanish)-Same as above, but a little more expensive because it comes with teacher materials as well.

I've been all over the Scholastic website trying to find the Scholastic News Spanish edition for home delivery. My ds has taken Spanish for a few years now but I think reading something on a regular basis, besides his textbooks, would be fun and helpful, even if he is almost 13.

Anyone have a link that can help me?

TIA,

Pam

For my dd to practice her French: J'apprends a lire http://www.bayardjeunesse.ca/magazines/item.aspx?id=45&t=10&c=1 It comes with a CD that has one of the stories from the magazine on it in each issue (hence the price :) I'd love to find something like this in Spanish!)

Clubhouse magazine: http://bookstore.fotf.ca/default.aspx?prodid=CHMPK12

And we've just ordered Calliope, which we've heard good things about ..... http://www.cricketmag.com/ProductDetail.asp?pid=14