Menu

How do *you* decide if a book will be a RA or an independent read?

I've got a lot of books on my list for next year for my kids to get through. I'd like to know how *you* divide your reading list up.

I remember a while back there was long thread about audio books and how a lot of people here felt they were not the same as reading a book. I know I my dc can't possibly read every book (on my list) and they're just going to have to listen to some in the van or over meals.

So.... what makes you decide to make a book a RA vs. an IR?

Well, my daughter is only 9. But so far, any book that is going to be "assigned" is a read aloud. (Plus we do a few more read alouds just for fun, if there are books that I think will be fun and interesting for us both, or that will inspire discussion etc).

Independent reading, those are the books she chooses to read on her own for fun.

Most books for school we still read aloud. I let the boys pick fun books for their independent reading time. This next year, 5th grade for my oldest, he will be reading shorter books for history and science. He started reading very early and reads at an adult level so I know he can handle more. I've been reluctant to assign more reading for him for fear that it would make him hate to read. I think he's old enough now to do more though.

I've got a lot of books on my list for next year for my kids to get through. I'd like to know how *you* divide your reading list up.

I remember a while back there was long thread about audio books and how a lot of people here felt they were not the same as reading a book. I know I my dc can't possibly read every book (on my list) and they're just going to have to listen to some in the van or over meals.

So.... what makes you decide to make a book a RA vs. an IR?

A lot depends on the kids' reading levels and the type of book. I think you can get a lot out of listening to a narrative (fiction or non-fiction), but there are other non-fiction books that require the reader to follow both a main narrative track and graphs or other sidebars. Think of how much easier it is to read a Magic School Bus book than follow it if it is read aloud.

There are some books that I really want all of my kids to experience, even the 3rd grader. Some of those will have to be read alouds. On the other hand, there are some that I only want the older kids to read and they can get through a book in a couple days that I would take weeks to read aloud. And there are some stories that are just much easier to follow if you're reading it by yourself. Eagle of the Ninth is a great story, but a hard read aloud, imho.

Then there is the issue of wanting to edit certain parts out or stop for discussions of certain points or of just wanting the family time to be part of the experience.

FWIW, I've started to put some books in the extra category. Meaning that they aren't essential to that year's schooling, but I think the kids would enjoy them and benefit from them. I might have six books in a basket and assign them if they finish others early or want to explore certain topics. Or I might say that they need to read 2 from a list of books, but they can pick the two.

My ds has a much higher reading comprehension than reading level, so that determines a lot of our read-alouds. For independent reading we usually rotate picking books. Because he is a slow reader that list is shorter.

Also if there are more mature(relative to students age) themes in a book I try to do them as a read-aloud so we can discuss.

Also if there are more mature(relative to students age) themes in a book I try to do them as a read-aloud so we can discuss.

This is a big one for us. For instance, I knew dd would probably be upset when she read Where The Red Fern Grows. She was more than capable of reading it herself, but it went on the read-aloud list.

I also wanted her to read The Hunt for Red October last year when we were doing modern history. The language in there, though! So it became an edited read-aloud. ;)

This year, I chose books that were complementary to history that both kids could enjoy, since ds was joining in.

Until middle school assigned books are RA and books they choose on their own are independent reading. Once they reach middle school, I give them a list of appropriate choices and tell them they have to pick one for each month. That way the were able to complete their required literature with books that they personally found interesting. My middle two girls picked totally different literature but I feel that they are both equally prepared for college.