Menu

Best pencil sharpener?

Jenn in Mo

We currently have a Sanford Giant that is mounted to the wall and is still working for us (knock on wood). I think I bought it at Staples for around $40.

I'd love to find one of those sharpeners we used to have in elementary school - they worked wonderfully.

If you want a hand held sharpener, I have found this one from Timberdoodle to be really good - especially for colored pencils. I've had two of them for almost 2 years and they are still going strong.

chalkboard, where did you get your Boston?

I bought this iPoint a few weeks ago. It sharpens well, and it's a lot quieter than the c.1987 Panasonic we have. I don't know about longevity, though.

We have this same one, and just like all the others...it sharpens lopsidedly. Everytime you sharpen you have to pick a bit of the wood off one side at the point just to write...grrrr. I think we'll get the old fashioned hand crank style after we've gotten our money's worth out of the iPoint. I think the only difference between electric sharpeners is how quiet they are or aren't.

We have this same one, and just like all the others...it sharpens lopsidedly. Everytime you sharpen you have to pick a bit of the wood off one side at the point just to write...grrrr. I think we'll get the old fashioned hand crank style after we've gotten our money's worth out of the iPoint. I think the only difference between electric sharpeners is how quiet they are or aren't.

Really? We haven't had that happen at all (yet :confused:). It sharpens perfectly every time.

I never have luck with the electric ones. I've had 4 or 5 through the years. :-( A while back we switched to these, which are *totally* awesome. The only drawback I've found is that they aren't tied down like an electric sharpener, so I made strict rules about putting it back where it goes when you are done--no exceptions.

Guest nikjem

For more than 30 years now I have owned a Boston Vacuum Mount Self Feeding Pencil Sharpener.

To this day it continues to give a fine, easy workable point. They are no longer manufactured (please correct me if I'm wrong!) But you may be able to find one on eBay.

For more than 30 years now I have owned a Boston Vacuum Mount Self Feeding Pencil Sharpener.

To this day it continues to give a fine, easy workable point. They are no longer manufactured (please correct me if I'm wrong!) But you may be able to find one on eBay.

This looks to be the model that is closest to what you describe.

You could also replace the blade.

Edited by dansamy