Menu

No-carb, no-sugar diet might just kill me

Friends, I'm just dying here. I am on a no-carb, no-sugar diet for medical/health reasons for the next six months. I have been doing low-carb, low-sugar for three weeks but was specifically advised to be absolutely draconian about cutting sugar out of my life for a while. I am working off of a very specific, limited list of foods I can eat--basically just meat, vegetables, and yoghurt.

I thought switching from low to no sugar would be okay--I thought the three weeks of low-sugar would have gotten me past the worst of it. I was wrong. I am hungry, and sick and tired of eating meat and vegetables, and I've only been doing no sugar a couple days. I have 2 1/2 weeks of the severe diet, then I can add back in some things for several months. After Christmas I can slowly start adding back in the foods I love.

I could use a little encouragement, as well as some BTDT stories.

Thanks.

Are you able to eat any dietary fats? (olive oil, butter, cheese?) Those are very helpful in helping you feel full. Also, 85% dark chocolate is usually pretty low on sugar and is helpful (if you are a chocoholic...of which I am not).

Lastly, Look into Stevia as a sweetener, blue agave (organic) as well. You can make 2 qts. sugar free lemonade with 2 tsp. stevia, lemon juice and water... depending upon your sugar allowance you can use 1 tsp. stevia and 1 TBLS blue agave. You can make sugar free kool-aid the same way.

Depending upon your carb allowance, you can use Nature's Own Whole Wheat bread for lunch (2 slices only 20 carbs and 5-6 fiber), olive-oil based mayo, and meat, lettuce, sprouts...OR go with the Ezekiel bread (really isn't bad toasted with some butter).

It's hard to get used to it, but you can do it!

Can you post your list of allowed foods? Then maybe we can help you think of ways to make the foods more exciting.

I know some women who were on very restricted diets when BFing babies with allergies. I think it helps when you know there is an end in site.

Can you give yourself some kind of reward for finishing the hard part?? Don't know what that would be for you, but I'd sure love a new outfit, a few new books or money down on a trip I'd like to take. Sorry you have to go through this. Just try not to think of what you can't have ....I know its hard, but the more you think about how hard it is...the worse it will seem.

Raw apple cider vinegar diluted in water helped me get past that hump. I KNOW it tastes yuck, but really, it's not like you're having a party in your mouth anyway right? ;) Sipping that during the day Reeeeeeeally helps the cravings and yuck feeling.

It's hard, there's just no getting around that. But keeping busy (like crazy busy) helps too b/c time flies and your body adjusts and you're too busy to miss the foods.

I have eaten a very low carb diet since 2001. I would offer that perhaps you need to up your fat intake. You shouldn't be hungry. What is in the yogurt? How many grams of carbs? Are you eating cheese? That can cause cravings in some people. I use heavy whipping creams in my tea and to make sauces for my meats and veggies. Some veggies are also really high in carbs and can cause wicked cravings too. I use a lot of butter on my meats and veggies too. Fat will help satiate you. Good luck, give yourself time to adjust, the first few weeks are pretty bad. You really need to look for hidden carbs in what you are eating, keep your calories and fat up.

Are you allowed nuts? I bought raw almonds and toasted them myself. I would eat a small handful for snacks. I had gestational diabetes and still tested borderline diabetic after pregnancy. I've lost 11 lbs since then and my cholesterol, LDL, HDL, Triglycerides are all wonderful due to a low-carb/no sugar diet. It's hard bec. I love chocolate cake and ice cream but I love that I feel healthier and the clothes fit much better more.

You can also make deviled eggs, rolled deli meat with cream cheese inside, sugar-free jello, champagne cheese (love those), salads with sprinkled sunflower seeds and cheese, fish (instead of just meat), tofu, egg salad, mashed cauliflower with butter or cheese (almost like mashed potatoes), pork rinds (for snacks). I like pork rinds with chicken salad on top. HTH...good luck! YOu can do it...for the reasons you need to do it.

I agree that some good fats might help a lot. Coconut oil, butter...whatever it takes. Fats courish your system and make you feel satiated, and on such a restricted diet it doesnt sound like you need to worry about calories too much. In fact, without adequate fats, the compliance of a restrictive diet is much lower.

Maybe this is just not the diet for you, strider. Maybe a high-carb, no-sugar, low-fat diet would be a better choice for your body. That's what Dr. McDougall, Dr. Fuhrman, Dr. Ornish, Dr. Esselstyn, and many other respected doctors recommend. What medical concerns are you trying to address?

My current diet is similiar to your's without the yogurt. :glare:

I stuck to it with everything I had for weeks and it did get easier. I would say you are almost there!

I didn't really start loosing any weight until about 3 weeks..made me nuts. I have now lost about 15 pounds in 6 weeks time.

I am allowed fruit once a day, but only when I eat protein with it. So breakfast is a bowl fo fruit with nuts or maybe a smoothie with protein powder. (Hemp as suggested by someone on this board.)

I found an unsweetened coconut milk that I use for that breakfast bowl of fruit or the smoothie.

A couple of week ago, I discovered there was coconut ice cream! There are a few flavors (Vanilla or cherry) that don't have sweetener in them, except maybe Aquava Nector.

Made my day! It am really happy it is expensive so I am not tempted to buy it more often!

I also found a bread that I eat every once in awhile, but not until about 3 weeks time into the diet. It is by "Sami's" and it is in the freezer section of my local Health Food Store. Millet and Flax, no yeast.

I have been allowed to add back in a little bit of rice and that opens up a few new things for me. Rice crackers with peanut butter ..yummy!

I've had several friends do the candida diet, and I know it's REALLY challenging! (((hugs))) to you! Here's a recipe that might help you through (if you like coconut)... http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/2009/01/almond-joy-of-cooking.html. I poked around on this blog a little more. She has some FABULOUS recipes. I'll be trying some myself. :D

When I couldn't do dairy, I made a little candy concoction of melted coconut oil, cocoa and xylitol that satisfied my sweet tooth quite nicely. I even bought a candy mold to dress it up a bit. I hope you find what you need from the other posts and this sweet treat!

Edited by Mert

Are you able to eat any dietary fats? (olive oil, butter, cheese?) Those are very helpful in helping you feel full. Also, 85% dark chocolate is usually pretty low on sugar and is helpful (if you are a chocoholic...of which I am not).

Lastly, Look into Stevia as a sweetener, blue agave (organic) as well. You can make 2 qts. sugar free lemonade with 2 tsp. stevia, lemon juice and water... depending upon your sugar allowance you can use 1 tsp. stevia and 1 TBLS blue agave. You can make sugar free kool-aid the same way.

Depending upon your carb allowance, you can use Nature's Own Whole Wheat bread for lunch (2 slices only 20 carbs and 5-6 fiber), olive-oil based mayo, and meat, lettuce, sprouts...OR go with the Ezekiel bread (really isn't bad toasted with some butter).

It's hard to get used to it, but you can do it!

Yes, I can eat certain fats, but cannot have any carbs or sugar right now. In a couple weeks I can add in a weekly sweet potato and weekly serving of wild rice.

Another boardie pm'd me with the advice to increase those fats to help with the hunger.

This may have too many carbs, but what about Socal protein+fiber? It is made out of hemp and some other stuff, and it does not taste that bad. I have found it is the only fiber that does not give me gas, or keep me in the bathroom plus it really keeps the hunger away. I only use half a serving not a full serving, and I was very suprised when I tried it. It is expensive, but they do have sales, I think it is marked down to $28 right now.

Can you post your list of allowed foods? Then maybe we can help you think of ways to make the foods more exciting.

I know some women who were on very restricted diets when BFing babies with allergies. I think it helps when you know there is an end in site.

Asparagus

Avocado

Broccoli

Brussel sprouts

Cabbage

Cauliflower

Celery

Collard greens

Cucumber

Eggplant

Garlic (raw)

Kale

Leeks

Okra

Onions

Peppers

Radish

Seaweed

Spaghetti squash

Spinach

Summer squash

Swiss chard

Tomatoes

Turnip

Zucchini

Plain yogurt

Probiotics

Beef

Chicken

Fish

Eggs

Nuts and seeds that don't contain a high mold content

* Avoid peanuts and pistachios as they tend to have a higher mold content

Virgin Coconut Oil

Olive Oil

Sesame Oil

Pumpkin seed oil

Macadamia Oil

Almond Oil

Flax Oil

Safflower

Sunflower

Coconut oil

Coconut butter

Ghee

Organic butter

Lemon Juice

Cinnamon Tea

Clove Tea

Chamomile Tea

Pau D'arco Tea

Peppermint Tea

Ginger Tea

Licorice Tea

Lemongrass Tea

Green Tea

Can you give yourself some kind of reward for finishing the hard part?? Don't know what that would be for you, but I'd sure love a new outfit, a few new books or money down on a trip I'd like to take. Sorry you have to go through this. Just try not to think of what you can't have ....I know its hard, but the more you think about how hard it is...the worse it will seem.

Good idea. Perhaps a new book . . . . ;)

500mg of L-Glutamine before each meal (1500mg a day) is shown to significantly reduce cravings in various studies.

I was going to say this too, and some 5-HTP. With those two things, I wouldn't have made it through a similar phase recently. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life. I literally went through all the phases of grief and even to myself, I sounded like a drug addict. But I know how beneficial it was, and I know I need to make those changes again. (I'll admit, though, that it would have been even harder without cheese :( :grouphug:)

Strider, you can do it, and it will be worth it. Definitely reward yourself liberally throughout the process. That helped me a lot too, knowing that I could soothe myself in other ways.

Maybe this is just not the diet for you, strider. Maybe a high-carb, no-sugar, low-fat diet would be a better choice for your body. That's what Dr. McDougall, Dr. Fuhrman, Dr. Ornish, Dr. Esselstyn, and many other respected doctors recommend. What medical concerns are you trying to address?

This isn't a weight loss thing. (That's just a side benefit.) I am fighting a massive candida infection. I have been on a combination of oral and topical meds for a month. I cannot have carbs or sugar because I have to starve the candida.

I've had several friends do the candida diet, and I know it's REALLY challenging! (((hugs))) to you! Here's a recipe that might help you through (if you like coconut)... http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/2009/01/almond-joy-of-cooking.html. I poked around on this blog a little more. She has some FABULOUS recipes. I'll be trying some myself. :D

When I couldn't do dairy, I made a little candy concoction of melted coconut oil, cocoa and xylitol that satisfied my sweet tooth quite nicely. I even bought a candy mold to dress it up a bit. I hope you find what you need from the other posts and this sweet treat!

The blog looks great! Thanks for the link. I think it'll come in handier in a few weeks when I am allowed to add in a few more things.

This isn't a weight loss thing. (That's just a side benefit.) I am fighting a massive candida infection. I have been on a combination of oral and topical meds for a month. I cannot have carbs or sugar because I have to starve the candida.

I understand...I've been there and am avoiding doing it again, though I technically needed to start yesterday. :)

Saving graces...Stevia, even if just in tea (wasn't supposed to have tea, but amen!)...also I bought some unroasted unsalted cashews. It's one of my favourite nuts, and a true indulgence. Being able to have a bit of that every day helped.

:grouphug: Hang in there. Don't cheat...cause one little cheat will lead to other, bigger cheats!