Menu

looking for least expensive, nonfrustrating, self-threading sewing machine

My 12yo is taking a sewing class and LOVES it. The problem is that when she tries to repeat at home what they did in class, our sewing machine always balks. You can rarely sew for more than 5 minutes without having to disassemble the machine to untangle where the thread got tangled up (always happens down below where the bobbing spool is).

I know I could buy a very nice $600 or more machine and have something that was completely nonfrustrating, but I can't plunk down that much cash. It isn't worth it to buy something that isn't going to be used because it's too finicky, but it has to be at least somewhat reasonable.

Is there a machine less than $250 that is solid, reliable, self-threading, and nonfinicky?

Can I ask why you want a self-threading machine? I taught sewing to middle schoolers and out of my thousands of students, I never had one that couldn't learn to thread a machine (they could all thread the machine in 60 seconds).

Before you go buy a new machine, are you sure that the bobbin is wound properly? If the bobbin isn't wound right, or the machine isn't threaded correctly it will cause all kinds of problems.

I don't have specific recommendations for a machine. I have a Singer that I am very happy with. It is pretty basic, quite a few stitches, and it is heavy-duty (will sew very heavy fabrics).

When I was teaching, at one school we had Bernina 1008 machines (Bernina's good school machines) and they were great, at another school we had Bernina Bernette machines and they were absolute JUNK, they were no better than a $100 machine from Wal-Mart.

Could it be that your machine needs servicing?

I've never heard of a self threading machine! It only takes two seconds to learn to do. Unless we're talking about an overlocker. Oh yeah, you guys call them sergers. With those, self threading would be wonderful...

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

I have several sewing machines, two sergers, and a coverstitch machine. I planned to buy my daughters a Janome machine. But - decided to give this gal a whirl (the price difference was just... too considerable to overlook), and I have to say - we're quite smitten over here. We named her "Harriet" and she's a fanTASTIC machine so far. I have an older version of the same machine that I've used for 5 years and it is still going strong. ("Harriet" has been in use a few weeks thus far)

Now, the Brother machines aren't quite the "workhorse" machine that a Janome or a vintage Singer could be. I have two older Singers that I use when I want to go through very thick layers (the vintage one will sew through 4 layers of leather, I think...) - but really - it's just not all that often that I have to drag out one of the heavy beasts. The Brother machines click along nicely for the everyday kinds of projects (clothes, purses, bags, notebook covers, etc).

I like the ease of adjustments - the fact that the screen is digital (I can just jot down the settings for the girls so they can re-set the machine). It is self-threading and I love that about it (I really want my girls' fingers away from the needle as much as possible. I've seen the injuries from when needles go through fingers and.... it just gives me the heebie jeebies. So.... I can relax knowing they can thread the machine with minimal finger-needle contact. :001_huh:)

This machine comes with an add-on table (great for quilting projects) and a couple additional quilting feet as well. It's really a great deal!

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-CS6000I-60-Stitch-Computerized-Functions/dp/B000JQM1DE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1281067197&sr=8-1

P.S. You might double-check to make sure you have the correct bobbin for the machine. Some bobbins are thinner than others, and slightly domed on the top and bottom. It's an easy mistake to buy the wrong type at the store and not notice immediately. It will cause troubles when you go to sew, though!

My aunt is a rep for Husquavarna and her DH repairs sewing machines. They say that self-threading machines aren't worth the money and usually have a lot of problems.

Have you checked the bobbin tension? I have an ancient (seriously, it's made of metal) Kenmore machine and the bobbin case has a screw in it that can be loosened or tightened to adjust the bobbin tension.

You might also just take the machine into a good sewing place and have it serviced. I think the last time I had that done, it cost me about $70, which is certainly cheaper than buying a whole new sewing machine.

HTH

P.S. You might double-check to make sure you have the correct bobbin for the machine. Some bobbins are thinner than others, and slightly domed on the top and bottom. It's an easy mistake to buy the wrong type at the store and not notice immediately. It will cause troubles when you go to sew, though!

I was just going to post this as well. I have been sewing for 30 years (not very well, just for a very long time) and did this recently with my machine: I bought a package of the wrong bobbin, and it did exactly what you described--sewed fine for a minute and then turned into a giant tangled mess. I had slightly domed bobbins and needed the perfectly flat version. Your manual should tell you the correct bobbin type. My bobbins don't say on them what kind they are (I don't think), so you may just want to try one you know is the original bobbin or just buy a new packet of the correct ones.

Also, if you are threading the machine or the bobbin any little bit wrong, this will happen. Check the threading and bobbin-winding diagrams again.

P.S. Isn't "bobbin" a funny word?

Terri

I checked the bobbin tension and it was WAY too loose. I tightened it up and it seems to be working okay now. I've never actually adjusted the bobbin tension before, so I guess it loosened up on its own.

My dd wants to get the machine that she's using in class, but it's $400 on sale (going out of business sale).

The Brother machine linked above (Brother CS6000I) looks like it will do everything I'm looking for. We're going to try to limp through with the machine I've got. I may get the Brother machine for her for Christmas. It's a huge step up from what we have ( http://www.amazon.com/Singer-1507-8-Stitch-Sewing-Machine/dp/B000TF6KJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1281112468&sr=8-1 ).

If you have a good brand machine I'd take it to a reputable repair person because even something minor like a bent bobbin can cause all sorts of problems. If I didn't want to spend a lot of money I'd go to a reputable shop that handles new and used machines and purchase used. You'll get something that has already been cleaned and serviced.