Menu

I have way too much rice -- ideas for it?

Nestof3

Oops -- wrong board.

I have about a 5-gallon bucket of white rice.

I really need to start making a rice meal once or twice a week until it is gone.

Any ideas?

Sides and desserts are welcome too.

PS -- We don't own a microwave.

Edited by nestof3

Is it long-grain or medium-grain? If it's a medium-grain Japanese rice (sticky rice), you can always make sushi or onigiri (rice balls). We have onigiri at least once a week, since the kids love them.

You can also do the Korean dish bibimbap - mostly veggies and rice together with fried eggs. There are about a hundred different ways to make it, and a lot of good recipes online. I often have mine with just rice, eggs, and some avocado mashed in. I'm sure it's not technically bibimbap at that point, but it's still a good lunch!

DH eats his rice warm in a bowl with milk and honey, like cereal. When we do onigiri, DS eats his plain with carrots hidden inside, DD likes hers with honey on top, and DH & I dip them in a little tamari & wasabi.

Fried rice is always good too.

Or you can do the more traditional American casserole dish - with the rice on the bottom, chicken layered above, and cream of mushroom soup (or cream of celery, or some other cream soup) poured over it all - then baked in the oven.

Make rice bags...rice socks....stuffed animals and dolls....fill one leg of a pair of cotton or thick tights with it and put it on window sills and in front of doors to keep the drafts out.

My kids like rice bags. I heat them in the microwave and tuck them in with them at night during the winters.

Make a bunch and donate them to your local NICU. They are great baby warmers, too! :)

Make bean bags.

Or a whole lot of stir-fry. :001_smile:

Hmm. My guess is long-grain. I bought a huge bag at BJs (like a Sam's Club). Why? Don't ask. LOL

Is it long-grain or medium-grain? If it's a medium-grain Japanese rice (sticky rice), you can always make sushi or onigiri (rice balls). We have onigiri at least once a week, since the kids love them.

You can also do the Korean dish bibimbap - mostly veggies and rice together with fried eggs. There are about a hundred different ways to make it, and a lot of good recipes online. I often have mine with just rice, eggs, and some avocado mashed in. I'm sure it's not technically bibimbap at that point, but it's still a good lunch!

DH eats his rice warm in a bowl with milk and honey, like cereal. When we do onigiri, DS eats his plain with carrots hidden inside, DD likes hers with honey on top, and DH & I dip them in a little tamari & wasabi.

Fried rice is always good too.

Or you can do the more traditional American casserole dish - with the rice on the bottom, chicken layered above, and cream of mushroom soup (or cream of celery, or some other cream soup) poured over it all - then baked in the oven.

Get an old pillowcase and pour the rice in it. When you have a sore muscle or just want to feel great, put the pillowcase in microwave and heat it. Do it for 20 second intervals (guess) til it gets VERY VERY ALMOST HOT TO THE TOUCH. It'll retain heat for a while and be the perfect heat pad. I like to wet a towel and put the wet on me then lay the ricebag on top for a wet heat therapy. Works great.

Or idea number two.....if you have a small child, dumping rice or beans all over the tiled floor and giving a vacuum hose occupies them for quite a while too. :lol:seriously

Not sure how well it will work since I use jasmine rice for this, but I think it will! Cook a big pot of rice on day one, then put it in the fridge overnight. The next day, fry some chopped up onion, garlic and ginger in a big frying pan. On the side I blanch chopped up brocollit, carrots, whatever I'm trying to get rid of. When the onion mix is half cooked, add the rice (you will have to add more oil as you go) and start cooking. Add the veges. I usually add leftover chopped up pork or chicken as well, and off course a beaten egg and some scallion. Just fry the whole mess up, add some soy sauce and a little oyster sauce for flavor. My family loves this adn it's really much easier than it sounds!

Jeri

We eat rice almost everyday, usually with mung beans and veggies. The kids love it plain with butter and salt. Add tomatoes, peas, or toasted nuts to change it up.

Think about how many styles of preparing rice there are...Chinese fried rice, Japanese sushi, Indian curried rice, Mexican tomato rice, Italian seasoned rice, and American rice-a-roni, lol.

Rice bags are the best for juggling. I really got into juggling for a while, so trust me when I say rice bags work better than bean bags. I've made different shaped rice bags (star, circle, square, triangle) that we love to toss and play counting games with.

Here's a nice recipe for sweet rice, (we substitute with rice milk and stevia instead of sugar):

Bengali Kheer (Rice Pudding)

6 cups milk

¾ cup rice

½ cup raisins

¼ teaspoon fresh cardamom powder

½ bay leaf

½ cup turbinado sugar

In large saucepan combine milk, rice, and bay leaf. Cook on high heat for 15 minutes, stirring very frequently. Bring to a rolling boil and then lower heat. Simmer for 40 more minutes until it thickens. Remove by leaf and add sugar, raisins, and cardamom. Refrigerate until cold. Kheer thickens as it cools.

Serve cool.

Serves 4.

You could also make bean bags with it. Or it can be great for sensory play. Put it in a flat plastic container and take outside (or in with a blanket underneath) add in scoops, measuring cups, funnels, etc.

Otherwise, if you want to eat it:

Jambalaya

Rice and beans Rice and beans and more rice and beans (we have that way too often around here)

rice pudding

rice salad (use the rice in place of pasta in a cold salad)

We eat rice at least once a day here :), here's some ideas...

Stir-fry served over rice

Fried Rice (Chinese or Thai style)

Thai curry (if you can get ahold of curry paste & coconut milk)

Beans and Rice (my favorite is black beans soup over rice)

Oh, here's a simple recipe for beans with coconut rice (serves 4)...

1 can of black beans

1 cup rice

1 cup water

1 cup coconut milk

1 clove garlic, chopped

1 tsp butter

1 tsp garam masala (could use curry powder if you can't find this)

Fry the garlic in the butter till soft, add spices and rice, fry for 30 more seconds. Add water and coconut milk. Let cook until rice is tender. Stir in beans, let them heat up and serve. I've also added carrots and pork to this which makes it more of a meal. It's super yummy and easy to make. Hope that helps :).

Recipes aside, in the younger kids' room at the art camp my kids attended for a couple of days, they had this big basin thing filled with uncooked rice and it had different measuring toys and scoops and funnels and shovels and so on inside it for the kids to play with the rice- it was a big hit :D