Menu

Left-handed scissors?

Anyone have any experience with any of these left-handed scissors? OR some other left-handed scissors? My son (who is NINE) cannot cut to save his life. I'm feeling really badly for him during craft projects. I've purchased scissors in the past that were supposed to be left or right handed. They were not, they did not work.

Guest Cindie2dds

One of mine is a lefty and we tried left-handed scissors. They didn't work. We just have scissors that are either hand now so both girls can use them. Hope someone else is more helpful! :)

I am absolutely no help, but I just wanted to say that you made my day!!! :D My DS is 8.5 years old and the only leftie in the house. He cannot cut, either! We don't know what to do for him - just figure that he will eventually figure it out or some wonderful new invention will come along that will save the day...

I am absolutely no help, but I just wanted to say that you made my day!!! :D My DS is 8.5 years old and the only leftie in the house. He cannot cut, either! We don't know what to do for him - just figure that he will eventually figure it out or some wonderful new invention will come along that will save the day...

DS is the only lefty in the house. All the boys in my mom's family are left-handed (uncle, cousins, etc), none of the girls. :tongue_smilie:

I bought these from Rainbow Resource and they have made a huge difference for my ds. Just to see what was so different, I tried using them myself in my right hand. Whoa, I couldn't cut on the line to save my life. Made me realize how he felt using right-handed scissors. He cuts a lot better now and is no longer frustrated while doing it.

I bought these from Rainbow Resource and they have made a huge difference for my ds. Just to see what was so different, I tried using them myself in my right hand. Whoa, I couldn't cut on the line to save my life. Made me realize how he felt using right-handed scissors. He cuts a lot better now and is no longer frustrated while doing it.

Ah, those were one of the scissors listed on the other page, but much cheaper from rainbow. Good, I can just add them to my (always burgeoning) order! They have left-hand notebooks too, my ds loves those.

Guest Cindie2dds

Thanks for the link. I might have to try these.

My lefty uses is right hand to cut and prefers it too? I had another lefty tell me to let him practice that way because she can never find left handed scissors. It's frustrating because he doesn't cut very neatly but doesn't like left handed scissors either. Good thing a scissor accuracy test isn't going to be on college entrance exams. LOL!

My youngest son is left handed. I always let him work from the back of the notebook..I didn't know there were left handed notebooks! I will tell him.he is in college now.

Last year I spiral bound his workbooks at the top like a steno notebook. He really liked that!

is a video that explains the why right-handed scissors do not always work for lefties. My dd is also a leftie and has never really had a problem with cutting with right-handed scissors. It just shows how every child is different. It has been great to have her help when he is struggling to do something left-handed and I have no idea how to help him. :huh: She has saved us from many melt-downs. :)

My 12 dd is a lefty. She LOVES these scissors. They are the only pair she says really have worked (made exclusively for lefties).

http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/acatalog/general_purpose_scissors_soft_grip.html#a260

She also loves the no-smear pens at the above web-site. The left-handed can-opener also will come in handy when she needs to cook on her own!

Jean

My husband is a leftie and I couldn't figure out why my left handed child's cutting was so horrible. He told me it was the "left/right..ha ha" scissors. We got the left handed fiskars and it made a huge difference immediately. He likes to cut now and his pages aren't demolished.

Oh, he will definitely need left-handed specific scissors if he's cutting with his left hand. Mooooost certainly. The difference is astonishing.

With that said - once you have left-handed specific scissors in-hand - have him cut with those for a while to get used to them. Then, have him use the righty scissors with his RIGHT hand and see which he does best with.

I'm a lefty. But, I use scissors with my RIGHT hand. Always have.

My kindy teacher forced me to use those lefty scissors with my left hand and it was disastrous. :glare: I sludged through the whole year like that, never comprehending (I was 5, after all) WHY I had such miserable luck cutting at school, but could do it with no problems at home.

I came home crying again one day (the teacher would get... uh... frustrated with my lack of ability to cut a straight line toward the end of the year :lol:!) My mom put the two and two together at some point and notified the teacher that I was to use my RIGHT hand and RIGHT handed scissors when cutting in future. All frustration vanished.

It was a wonderful moment in my kindergarten life.:D

Edited by orangearrow

I'm a lefty and have never had a problem using right handed scissors. Guess I just adapted. I remember when I lived in San Diego and there was this store in Sea Port Village that sold stuff for the lefty. Wow, I never realized how much I had to overcome in my life:001_smile:

Oh, he will definitely need left-handed specific scissors if he's cutting with his left hand. Mooooost certainly. The difference is astonishing.

With that said - once you have left-handed specific scissors in-hand - have him cut with those for a while to get used to them. Then, have him use the righty scissors with his RIGHT hand and see which he does best with.

I'm a lefty. But, I use scissors with my RIGHT hand. Always have.

My kindy teacher forced me to use those lefty scissors with my left hand and it was disastrous. :glare: I sludged through the whole year like that, never comprehending (I was 5, after all) WHY I had such miserable luck cutting at school, but could do it with no problems at home.

I came home crying again one day (the teacher would get... uh... frustrated with my lack of ability to cut a straight line toward the end of the year :lol:!) My mom put the two and two together at some point and notified the teacher that I was to use my RIGHT hand and RIGHT handed scissors when cutting in future. All frustration vanished.

It was a wonderful moment in my kindergarten life.:D

Wow! The exact same thing happened to me. They weren't going to pass me because I couldn't cut left-handed with lefty scissors. One day I picked up the right handed scissors and cut with my right hand and VOILA I was capable of cutting properly!

I have a lefty son who does use his right hand for many things. He even uses knives right-handed. He has always used scissors left-handed though (or rather avoided it...).

I just finally bought him a lefty pair of scissors recently, and he thought they were just the coolest things. He kept looking for things to cut.

I felt pretty guilty--I bought into the whole ambidextrous scissor thing and he could never use them properly.

Of course, he's thirteen and mostly beyond the whole paper crafting age. Maybe I'll just teach him to sew (Is there any such thing as a left-handed rotary cutter?).