Menu

Starting school tomorrow!

The kids are pretty excited (mostly:glare:). I am too! I'm also nervous. This is starting my third year HSing and it's gone fine...except for my 7 y/o ds. He's a challenge. That's the *easy* way of putting it at least. Last year I was *so close*, so many times, to enrolling him in PS. This year too. I really had to pray about it...a lot! He's just not an easy child, really. He has Asperger's and writing issues and listening issues and...well, just issues. I love him dearly dispite those issues!

He seems to be in good spirits about starting tomorrow though. We shall see what comes. I would appreciate any prayers. Not only tomorrow but through out the school year. I know, I know, it's hard to remember to pray for someone you don't know (especially through out the year). But, if you remember, would you please? I would apprecitate it so much (so would ds, as he does NOT want to go to PS).

Thank you so much. The support I've received on this board blows my mind:grouphug:. You ladies (and gents!) are amazing!

We're starting tomorrow also. I used to always be very rigid in planning our first week but this year I'm not even trying. Dd got invited to take three of her 4-H projects to our state fair, so we will be driving two hours each way on Tuesday. Then we'll go up again to do Friday judging and stay the night and more judging on Saturday.

I almost decided to delay the start of school, but then decided that if a ps kid got invited to participate in a science fair, it would count as a school day. So I'm counting ours. She will be doing presentations for history, science, and public speaking, all legitimate school topics.

So we will see if I can fit in two days away and all the prep and packing and still get three days of schooling done this first week.

Maybe we need a prayer club for those of us starting Aug 2!

Edited by hillfarm

At that age, with my oldest, there were so many days that yellow bus was tempting. Even made an appt. w/ the local principal one time to tour & learn firsthand about enrolling in the ps (canceled the appt. later, though). The hs moms I know all have those days sometimes!

A book I read by Debbie Bell ( I think) when we first started this adventure said to make a mission statement as to why you are homeschooling. This has been invaluable to me on those days when I'm ready to throw the towel in. That little bit of perspective can really change the tone of the whole day!

Don't know when we're starting again! We would usually be starting week 3 by now, but the Lord has said 'wait' this year as He is redefining my idea of curriculum. ;) Blessing to you all on your first day, week and throughout your school year! Praying that your expectations and reality find a happy medium.:D

Tomorrow is the first day of my first year :001_smile: I am nervous and excited. Mainly it feels super wierd, like the Twilight Zone LOL. My dd7 and ds4 are excited. I let them pack a "lunch" (my ds4 has always wanted to do that) I am having them dress nicely and will take first day of school pictures outside.

I really dont have much to worry about...PS doesnt start for 2 weeks so if we totally hate it they can still go :lol: I know we will be fine, just cant wait for the wierdo feeling to go away. oh yeah, and for the in laws to find out.

Oh please Lord, let me not suck at this. And please let my dc's enjoy it.

Tomorrow is the first day of my first year :001_smile: I am nervous and excited. Mainly it feels super wierd, like the Twilight Zone LOL. My dd7 and ds4 are excited. I let them pack a "lunch" (my ds4 has always wanted to do that) I am having them dress nicely and will take first day of school pictures outside.

I really dont have much to worry about...PS doesnt start for 2 weeks so if we totally hate it they can still go :lol: I know we will be fine, just cant wait for the wierdo feeling to go away. oh yeah, and for the in laws to find out.

Oh please Lord, let me not suck at this. And please let my dc's enjoy it.

It will be fine. I just started my 2nd yr homeschooling. I had the same feeling you did and everything turns out fine. You love your children and so there really is no way to "suck" at it. Listen to your instincts, and your children. There is a period of adjustment, just understand that there will be days you will want to throw in the towel(I have many times over) but by the end of the year you will see the difference you have made. It is totally amazing! :)

I'm starting school back up part-time today too :001_smile: I hope to have 2 full weeks under our belts when we start back up FT in September. I also have a soon-to-be 7 year-old who is VERY difficult, and I was tempted several times last year to stick him in PS! The kids' reactions to starting school today were predictable -- DD was thrilled, DS moaned & groaned about it. Oh well! Have a great first day today!

Woo Hoo! Prayers to all who are starting this week!

We began this morning and I think I underscheduled! After 2.5 hours we are almost done. It was mostly review though so we'll see how it goes the rest of the month! ;)

Hey, our school day today was only about an hour- but we only started with three subjects. I'll add another everyday until we are at the full schedule. :D

We just started and it feels kind of odd (Kwickimom, this is my 8th year--the strange feeling at the beginning never quite goes away:tongue_smilie:). We got most of my scheduled work done, but I worry because we are at only about 75% right now. If we were at 100%, it would have taken at least an hour longer. Yikes...

We broke for lunch and dd will do her music practice after lunch today. In general, we go from 9:00 to 12:00 and then may have music, art, or extra reading to finish after the meal.

I realized that I want to make some copies that I didn't do yet, also I had to keep running upstairs to our supply closet for items that I hadn't gathered up yet. Also lost a little time when the dog decided to pick a shoe stealing fight right in the middle of history. She didn't get the memo that yesterday was the last day of wild, spontaneous play during the morning. I also just printed out a couple of calendar pages for dd so that she can mark the days that she completes music practice and art.

And now that I am just beginning to feel like we are sliding back into the groove, tomorrow we will drive 2 hours to the state fair for dd to participate in her 4-H public speaking competition and then 2 hours back. I did get several educational DVD's from the library for her to watch during the trip that are related to our studies. At least we can get some good use from the time! Then back in the saddle for Wednesday and Thursday, then Friday back to the fair for a presentation that day, a night at a hotel, and a presentation on Saturday. The PLAN is the next week will be normal.:glare:

Wow, there are many of us starting today! We survived, lol. It went pretty smoothly (for a first day anyways). Suprisingly. it was my dd (4 yrs) that gave me the problem. I was shocked, lol! We're doing MFW Kindy with her, but the beginning couple of weeks are really slow and she knows the stuff, so she was mad because "I *know* my letter sounds mom!!".

Thanks for the prayers! They are appreciated.