Menu

Anyone done a butter cream transfer?

Hi all,

We're doing a Toy Story themed birthday for our kids and after many years of terribly executed homemade cakes I was going to knuckle under and buy one from the grocery store. But then I saw a technique called Butter Cream Transfer on YouTube and it looks doable. Have any of you done one before? How did it turn out? I'd like to give it a go but not if I'm going to be in tears at midnight the night before the party.

Here's the link if anyone is curious.

Hi all,

We're doing a Toy Story themed birthday for our kids and after many years of terribly executed homemade cakes I was going to knuckle under and buy one from the grocery store. But then I saw a technique called Butter Cream Transfer on YouTube and it looks doable. Have any of you done one before? How did it turn out? I'd like to give it a go but not if I'm going to be in tears at midnight the night before the party.

Here's the link if anyone is curious.

Wow, what a neat idea! I can't wait to try this! I've never done it either, so I'm all :bigear:...

It's possible to get incredible detail with bct, and people are astounded at what I can do with it. You don't have to be in tears the night before your party, because you can do it ahead and just have it ready. Make sure if you're doing lots of tiny detail that you have teeny tips; 00, 1, 2, etc.

Do you need any help with knowing what to do or how to do it?

There are some things that make it easier...

It's possible to get incredible detail with bct, and people are astounded at what I can do with it. You don't have to be in tears the night before your party, because you can do it ahead and just have it ready. Make sure if you're doing lots of tiny detail that you have teeny tips; 00, 1, 2, etc.

Do you need any help with knowing what to do or how to do it?

There are some things that make it easier...

Any words of wisdom you could give me would be GREATLY appreciated!

I'd like to use an image like this:

http://www.fun-with-pictures.com/woody-jessie-coloring-page.html

How would you suggest Woody's shirt?

I did a FBCT (frozen bc transfer) for dh's last birthday. He likes Spongebob so I worked one up on the computer (don't forget to reverse or mirror the text). I taped the picture under a pane of glass that I took out of a cheap certificate frame. Piped right onto the glass and froze overnight. Tip-make sure you do not leave any open space and put a layer of butter cream over the finished picture for extra support. Remember to leave a lower leveled space for the fbct when you prepare (stack and frost) the cake so that it isn't sticking up too much on the cake. Mine was a lot of work (switching colors) but it was totally worth it! It was a Christmas birthday.

normal_1261183383.jpg

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I thought I would share anyway.

I did a Toy Story cake for my youngest son a few years ago that was super easy, and looked outstanding.

Bake your cakes like normal.

Frost the cakes with buttercream icing.

Follow this recipe for "molded chocolate". Add whatever colors you'd like to the mix before it starts to harden. I use Wilton's.

Roll the chocolate out and place on top of the cakes.

This next part is for the decorating:

Buy a Toy Story figurine set from the Disney Store (or wherever you can find one).

Buy some chocolate bark (or chocolate chips) and melt. After the chips are melted, pipe or pour the chocolate onto wax paper. Once the chocolate starts to set, take a fork and scrape up the chocolate to give it a 'wood' look. After it solidifies completely, you can add it to the cake.

Pipe frosting around the bottom of the layers, then add the figurines.

Here's a picture of what DS's looks like:

tycake.jpg

This cake took me a day to make, and I am in no way a professional or trained in any way.