Menu

Do you base your lit on what you're studying in history?

sadiegirl

I have 2 boys going into 8th and 9th. We have never done a formal literature program. I have read several older threads regarding lit. and it seems most coincide their lit with period of history they are studying. We are starting this year with Ancient history and I am not sure what lit program to use to go along with the ancients. Any suggestions? Also, I have been leaning towards LL but I am concerned because of those that said it was difficult to plan. I am like many of those that posted in previous threads someone who needs it laid out for me. I want to also use the same program for both boys. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have 2 boys going into 8th and 9th. We have never done a formal literature program. I have read several older threads regarding lit. and it seems most coincide their lit with period of history they are studying. We are starting this year with Ancient history and I am not sure what lit program to use to go along with the ancients. Any suggestions? Also, I have been leaning towards LL but I am concerned because of those that said it was difficult to plan. I am like many of those that posted in previous threads someone who needs it laid out for me. I want to also use the same program for both boys. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In the past lit has always coincided with history. I've looked for study guides to a book or two that we've read for history and called it good.

This year, however, I really feel the need to do lit analysis with dd13 (8th grade). So, she's doing LL and will still read a lot for history. I have already planned it out. Honestly, it was easy to plan! It came with a suggested schedule (by weeks, not days) and I just adjusted it to what I think dd can handle and how heavy a history week's reading is/is not.

HTH

Edited by Jen+4dc

In the past lit has always coincided with history. I've looked for study guides to a book or two that we've read for history and called it good.

This year, however, I really feel the need to lit analysis with dd13 (8th grade). So, she's doing LL and will still read a lot for history. I have already planned it out. Honestly, it was easy to plan! It came with a suggested schedule (by weeks, not days) and I just adjusted it to what I think dd can handle and how heavy a history week's reading is/is not.

HTH

What is LL?

Lightning Lit=LL

Answer to orginal ? I use to try to have history and lit correspond, but now I don't try so hard. I find that the needs of my kids are all over the place and it is just so hard to put the two together. So now we read a few books for history and science, but I don't really consider them Lit. Lit is separate.

Well, that's me...I feel like I'm all over the place. We need to do World History(beginning with Ancient History) but after reading various threads, I started seeing how many of you link history with lit. We haven't done a formal lit program and I want to this year but I am struggling with finding the one that fits my abilities as well as keep the boys loving reading as much as they do now. We have always simply read lots of books throughout the school year and to think about following a reading list which may or may not excite them about reading...well, I dread it! That's what I hated about hs honestly. I want my kids to LOVE reading and they do! So, maybe I should keep them separate and continue their independent reading but somehow tie in a lit program...that's what I'm struggling with is one that won't be too overwhelming on time and work and that I can do.

Tying them together makes sense to a point. For example, since you're doing ancients, you could do The Illiad and/or The Odyssey, Greek plays, Bible as literature, and for good measure toss in Julius Caesar, since it's a later play ABOUT ancient events. OR you could do a fraction of all that and go more in depth.

No, not really. This year some of my oldest DS' reading list is based on our history, but not all of it (maybe 1/4 of it?) I decided I don't want him to miss out on reading great kid's lit when he's at the appropriate age just because it doesn't fit in with our history program (if he were a less picky reader when he gets to choose and would take my suggestions more readily, it might not be an issue). It is still too early to say, but I think I'm more likely to have the kids' readings line up with history when they're in high school. For one thing, I think they're more able to see and study how literature evolved over time at that age. For another thing, I think that the themes in more modern literature tend, in general, to be more mature and better handled by an older student.

9th grade? Have you read the Rhetoric section of the WTM recently?? For high school, history gets reduced to reading for the context of a literary work. This is what I have done, so in a sense I tie in history with literature rather than the other way around.

You can keep things relaxed still, and find works that your boys will enjoy. Use the Well Educated Mind as a source book for discussion questions and essay topics. Do a google search for lesson plans related to a specific book if you want some more ideas. Check out Spark Notes or Teaching Company DVDs for more depth on individual works. By doing all that you can skip using a literature program and pick out a mix of great books and fun books that will keep everyone happy.

Don't know if that helps or not, but more to think about!

I prefer to tie it together to the extent that I have always, so far, chosen any extra literature programs to coincide with history (although i dont usually use a Lit program). If I have used an English program that includes literature, such as LLATL this last year for my son...I just add in plenty of extra literature relating to our history period (on top of whatever he is supposed to read for his English program).