Menu

What to do with yellow squash...

My garden is going crazy... I will make zucchini bread with my green zucchini... but I have a lot of yellows...

Any ideas?? What about acorn squash??

Thanks for some recipes! (please! :))

I love squash...

You could slice the yellow into thin strips lengthwise and use it in Lasagna, you could also pop it on the grill sprinkled with a touch of garlic salt.

Another way it to cut it into circles and place on a semi- cooked pie crust. Sprinkle some chopped Basil, garlic, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese.

Lastly, chop into squares with chopped onions and diced potatoes and place in an aluminum foil bag. Add olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and scallions.Toss while in the Ziploc bag, put it on the grill, the water in the squash will steam the potatoes..

Acorn squash, yum. Cut in half and clean out the seeds, wrap aluminum foil around the outside skin part. Using a tooth pick, and poke holes into the flesh part. Put melted butter, a pinch of salt, brown sugar and a tablespoon of honey in each cup or squash. Wrap it up with the foil, and bake:D.

Edited by Pongo

I usually mix yellow and zucchini together for savory recipes. It's true that yellow summer squash doesn't work as well in quick breads for some reason. I second the ratatouille suggestion. Two more...

Quick Summer Squash Side:

- Slice 1-2 summer squash (zucchini, yellow or combo) and chop an onion

- Saute in olive oil with salt for about 7-10 minutes, or until onion is soft and squash is slightly browned but not mushy

- Add one jar of diced tomatoes OR 1-2 fresh diced tomatoes and cook for 1 more minute

- Turn off the heat

- Season with pepper

- Sprinkle all over with sharp cheddar cheese - let it melt (you can also add a little crumbled bacon)

Summer Squash Pasta

- Slice 3-4 summer squash (zucchini, yellow or combo) and toss in a colander with salt - let sit for at least 20 minutes then dry thoroughly (this helps it retain its shape and not become mushy)

- Cook 1 box of pasta (I find penne, bow ties or fusili all do well with this)

- Saute the squash in olive oil for 10 minutes - I usually do it in 2 batches - add a little red pepper flakes at the end for a little kick in this dish if you like

- Combine the pasta and squash along with fresh chopped basil, 1 package of grape tomatoes cut in half, toasted pine nuts and parmesan cheese. You can also add a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar. This dish is good hot or cold, like a pasta salad.

Oh, and we also make fish packets in the summer with sliced summer squash, thick slices of tomatoes, fresh basil, salt, pepper, butter and a splash of white wine. Baked in tin foil on catfish or tilapia at high heat really fast. So good.

If you do canning at all, my mother and grandmother would can yellow squash and process it like cucumbers to make pickles. Hmmm, I sure wish I had some now!

I use it chopped small in soups all winter - like in a minestrone instead of some other veggie. My favorite though is like someone else - steamed with salt and pepper.

I slice ours into circles, place on a cookie sheet and brush on some olive oil w/ seasonings. I then top each piece with a little cheese. I've used mozzerella, parmesan, or provolone. I put the sheet under the broiler in the middle of the oven until the cheese is good and brown. Yum.

I do this also w, zucchini.

I gather a bunch of my squash, put it in a bag and give it to my neighbors. AHHH, it's everywhere. Scratch that, it's everywhere that the watermelon, pumpkin and cantaloupe are not.

Other than that, I stirfry it with tomatoes, onions and basil. Yum. Or you can cook it my family's way - sliced in circles, add onions and cook it in a ridiculous amount of butter.

We love it grilled with olive oil brushed on and garlic salt.

Everytime we have spaghetti, we slice up some yellow squash, onions, zucchini, and mushrooms, saute them together in a bit of olive oil and plop them on our pasta before the sauce.

Weekly, we just have it as a vegetable, sauted with some onions in olive oil, or steamed.

A less healthy treat is to slice them into a large bowl with chopped okra and sliced onions. Toss all with corn meal, salt and paper and maybe a bit of red pepper or cheyenne (sp?) then pan fry in oil till crispy brown. (okay, MIL uses lard but I don't.)

Thanks for all the ideas! I will definitely be using them, since we'll have squash for days on end now... :001_smile:

For tonight dinner was a breeze... I cubed up leftover steaks, added in leftover cubed potatoes, sliced fresh carrots, then cubed the yellow squash and cooked it all up in a tasty stew... mmmm... added in garlic toast and we're sittin' happy!

I shredded it and add it to pasta sauce. You can add shredded carrots too.

My favorite recipe from my mom is cook garlic, olive oil and squash in a skillet, add pasta sauce, top with mozzarella cheese. Put under broiler to brown at the end. Serve with over pasta or not. Serve with garlic bread. Also italian sausage can be added.

Cooked with butter, salt and pepper.

My mom has a fabulous recipe for yellow crooked neck squash. Slice it into 1/4" rounds. Dip it in egg and milk mixture, then dredge in flour. Fry it in a skillet in butter with plenty of salt and pepper. When it's brown on one side, flip it and fry, salt and pepper the other side. It is DELICIOUS and very bad for you.