Menu

Can you stand to peek at my 4 y/o with Harold & The Purple Crayon...? :)

So my 4 y/o, Ben, brought me the book "Harold & The Purple Crayon" and asked me to read it to him.

I opened it up to the first page, and had a sudden brainstorm, partially inspired by the book itself, and partially inspired by someone here who recently showed us her blog, part of which involved her covering her kitchen table with paper and laying out markers for her kids to use for a good start to their day (I'm so sorry I can't remember what your name was!!)

So anyway I had this big roll of paper, and I cut a piece to fit across my kitchen table. I then gave my son a big purple crayon, sat him at the table, and started reading him the story, pausing to encourage him to draw the scenes from the story with his own purple crayon as we went.

He had a lot of fun with this!!

And I was so happy that he was willing to try, because it's rare that he'll even attempt much more than a scribble!

When he was done, I wrote his name, age, the date, the title of the story, and labeled the things he drew, and rolled the paper up and put it away to keep/show his dad later.

Of course I took pictures, and I wanted to share them with someone besides his dad lol.

I'm going to have to see if we have any other books we might be able to try this with, too!

Thanks for looking :)

Thanks for looking, and for the nice comments! :) His daddy loved it, by the way. Harold & The Purple Crayon was his favorite book when he was a little boy. He was excited when I first found the book at a used book sale and brought it home for Ben. He loved seeing Ben's "project" with it!

What a great idea! Harold inspired this at our house. :001_smile:

That's great!! I love the books you guys made!

I didn't even know there WERE other Harold books!

But now I'm going to go order a copy on Amazon, and perhaps it'll turn into a similar project :)

Thanks again for all the nice responses, all!